Dove fields 2018

Discussion in 'Habitat Improvement' started by T-wil69, Feb 22, 2018.

1. bigpuddin43

bigpuddin43 12 pointer

Feb 21, 2007
    bucktown
    sprayed my cover crop a week or so ago will roll it down and drill the cheap sunflowers into it like last year good clean stand and great for the soil for the garden and should be able to kill a few hundred doves off my half acre like last year

2. T-wil69

T-wil69 8 pointer

Jan 16, 2015
    I’ll be planting this evening before the rain hits Friday

3. westkyhunter22

westkyhunter22 Fawn

Oct 8, 2006
    what is a good seed rate for broadcasting sunflowers?

4. hunt-4-life21

hunt-4-life21 12 pointer

Sep 26, 2007
    Butler Co.
    Seems to be a slow start on the thread this year. I may be a bit early but went ahead and planted my 2.5 acre plot of sunflowers. I had some seed left over from last year (Clearfields) but was somewhat hesitant since they were approaching 4 years old. Our local Southern States guy worked out a deal with us. I had to go plant his spot but got some new seed out of it and didn’t have to buy a whole bag.

Planted on May 7th.
    2E8831A8-337B-4030-B17B-F13E1F54EF1F.jpeg
    1835A4FA-C899-40C4-A173-CDD0F1EF9F05.jpeg
    A5990EC8-A5DC-431B-BE9D-513530DA497F.jpeg
    Came back on the 8th and sprayed with Broadaxe. I wanted to go back with Dual & Spartan. But I was told Broadaxe is the same as these two. I put some roundup in with it too since I had a little grass in my field. Should burn down what’s there and the pre emergence keep the rest from coming up.
    059B11D8-E47E-4803-91CF-5E0522C5C688.jpeg
    6CCAC1E5-1608-4E47-A507-7F7BF5BA8A7B.jpeg

5. HuntsItAll

HuntsItAll 6 pointer

Jan 23, 2009
    A hunters paradise
    How expensive is the Broadaxe??? This is my first year at planting a sunflower field. So far, from reading what you all have posted I've gathered that the Clearfield seed is what most of you plant. I've priced the seed. Although its high, I'm ok with that. Priced it for $250 a bag. What pushed me away from it was the Beyond that was recommended to spray it with... $600 a gallon. I'm planting a 5 acre field. This is enough spray to last me 3-4 years. But wow!! I'm looking for any other suggestions you all might have.

6. hunt-4-life21

hunt-4-life21 12 pointer

Sep 26, 2007
    Butler Co.
    My Southern States rep sold Broadaxe to me for $27 an acre and by the acre so I didn't have to buy a whole jug. Clearfields is what I've planted for the past 3 years. But lots of other people plant perodovics or black oil. Both are a good sunflower. Clearfields go thru the planter much easier, from what I'm told. Instead of using Beyond, look up Lightning. You can get a 10oz. bottle from Keystone for around $100. Lightning isn't a strong burn down though. I wasn't real impressed with it last year. But I also waited too long to spray. It never killed anything...just stunted the growth of the weeds and allowed the sunflowers to grow.

7. T-wil69

T-wil69 8 pointer

Jan 16, 2015
    My sunflowers are about 2 inches tall, I don’t have the equipment or the funds to be able to spray the field so I broadcasted millet after I planted the sunflowers hoping it will be thick enough to keep the weeds down, millet is about an inch tall so far

8. bigpuddin43

bigpuddin43 12 pointer

Feb 21, 2007
    bucktown
    that millet is gonna add a lot of thatch and reduce your bare ground when you mow down your sunflowers not sure you wouldn't be as well off with weeds. mine are about an inch tall and coming thru the cover crop great they could definitely use the rain we are forcasted right now

9. T-wil69

T-wil69 8 pointer

Jan 16, 2015
    I thought about that also I’m really thinking about burning instead of bush hog

10. DH13

DH13 12 pointer

Jan 13, 2012
    Shelby county
    We sow Sunflowers and Millet. When we mow it isn't as bad as you think on the ground. Find the Birds to. With the Sunflower and Millet seeds scattered BRINGS A LOT OF DOVES!!!!!

11. bigpuddin43

bigpuddin43 12 pointer

Feb 21, 2007
    bucktown
    we used to do an 11 acre millet field. By far the best dove field I have ever seen when 14 guys limit out in an hour and a half and they you watch 4-5000 more doves hit the field after that you did it right. But we had hay equipment at the time. let it dry up then cut tetter it several times then bale it. had bales to mark where you want people to sit and had to move seed out of the way to find bare ground. I tried just bush hogging it but leaves a lot of thatch they will still use it but not like a straight sunflower or millet field that has been baled

12. HuntsItAll

HuntsItAll 6 pointer

Jan 23, 2009
    A hunters paradise
    I had big plans for working on my dove field for tomorrow, but they got put on hold... my youngest daughter got the flu. I work 3rd shift and tonight is my last night for the week, I'm going to be watching her tomorrow instead. But being my first time planting a plot for doves, this is the path I'm going to take. First, I'm going to bushhog the field. It was in corn last year. Not bad on weeds, but more than I want to pull the planter through. Second, I'm going to spread fertilizer. Third, going to disk the field once. To help chop up any debris, and get the fertilizer in the ground some. Fourth, planting the sunflowers with a 4 row, 3pt hitch no-till planter. Then last, going to spray the field with roundup. Either 1 or 2 days after planting. My thought is it will burn down any remaining weeds or grass, and the sunflowers can get a start while they are dying off. I'm not going to use the Clearfield seeds this year.... I'll see how this goes first year. Just using regular seeds. My only concerns are, when I disk, I'll bury some seeds from the weeds and they'll sprout with the sunflowers. using my buddies 3pt hitch, no-till planter. I was wanting to skip the disking to avoid this, but he doesn't know if it'll cut through the corn stalks and weeds very good. What's your all's thoughts on this?? If anyone has any helpful suggestions on this way of doing it, feel free to comment. It's getting late for planting, so I need to get it done quick!!! Anyone else still gotta get theirs planted??

13. DH13

DH13 12 pointer

Jan 13, 2012
    Shelby county
    That's what we do. Tetter it several times then bale it off. Get as much seed out of it we can. But if it gets to where we cant bale it. We run a finish mower over it.

14. bigbonner

bigbonner 6 pointer

Aug 5, 2015
    I bush hog mine , then harrow it up . To be a legal hunting field and not considered baited the field has to be done 10 days before season starts.
    The field can not be touched any more after you first mow the field down and none after season starts or the field is considered baited .

15. bigpuddin43

bigpuddin43 12 pointer

Feb 21, 2007
    bucktown
    as long as you aren't scattering seed that wouldn't be consider normal ag practice you are legal for doves. Once the seed is grown in the field and doesn't leave you can do whatever you want to it and still be legal as long as the seed doesn't leave the field and then be brought back.

DH13 likes this.