Dove fields 2018

Discussion in 'Habitat Improvement' started by T-wil69, Feb 22, 2018.

1. bigbonner

bigbonner 6 pointer

Aug 5, 2015
    I have been growing a field for Fish and wildlife and that is what I am told . That you can not bush hog a food plot and has to be done 10 days before hunting season starts or it is considered baiting . From what I understand is a food plot is not a regular agricultural crop that is harvested .

Now that is what I was told . Don't take my word on it as right or wrong .

Last edited: May 18, 2018
  2. DH13

DH13 12 pointer

Jan 13, 2012
    Shelby county
    We mow thru about every 4 days mowing standing flowers and millet to keep new seed on the ground. Been checked by COs many times. Every time said we were ok as long as we don't spread more seed by a hand seeder or tractor seeder or introduce a new seed like wheat to the area.

3. T-wil69

T-wil69 8 pointer

Jan 16, 2015
    I believe it was on ky afield that they said you can do whatever you want to a dove field besides adding to it

4. bigpuddin43

bigpuddin43 12 pointer

Feb 21, 2007
    bucktown
    BAITED FIELDS
    It is illegal to hunt doves or waterfowl over a “baited” field. Baited fields are areas where grain, salt or other attractants have been placed other than those that occur by legitimate agricultural practices. Mature wildlife food plots grown to attract doves are legal hunting areas, as long as no additional attractants have been placed on these areas.

Straight from the guide online.

5. bigpuddin43

bigpuddin43 12 pointer

Feb 21, 2007
    bucktown
    if it was considered baiting then you would not be able to hunt it until 10 days after all the bait is gone.

6. bigbonner

bigbonner 6 pointer

Aug 5, 2015
    legitimate agricultural practices ?? What agricultural practice is a food plot ?
    I know it is legal to hunt over fresh chopped silage fields .

I have also read that you can mow when ever you want to in another dove field plot making site .
    So for one time I may or may not be wrong :)

7. hunt-4-life21

hunt-4-life21 12 pointer

Sep 26, 2007
    Butler Co.
    Really, I think you have one option. Spray the field with round up and a pre-emergency directly after no-till planting. I wouldn't disc at all. If you disc, you will have more weeds coming with your sunflowers. Get a good planter and check the closing wheels. If your planter doesn't close the trench it opens, they won't come up. Period. You don't have to have Clearfield sunflowers to put down a pre-emergency either. Dual/Prowl and Spartan will work great. Or Broadaxe HC, like I posted earlier in this thread. Dual/Prowl (same thing) will take care of the grasses and Spartan will take care of the broadleafs.

We plant a dove field for work every year. Instead of listening to me and putting down Broadaxe, our field manager just put down Prowl after planting. He came in this morning said that nutsedge was as bad as he's ever seen it out there. After a quick looking at labels, I told him if he had put Spartan or just used Broadaxe he wouldn't have nutsedge. But what do I know? Lol

8. bigpuddin43

bigpuddin43 12 pointer

Feb 21, 2007
    bucktown
    the last line of what I posted is what matters mature food plots are legal to hunt over. the spreading of any seed or salt is what would have to be a legitmate ag practice. we get checked every year even had the co stop by one year when we didn't do one expecting to have people to check. my millet field the first year he said he never seen so much seed on the ground and asked how we did it. said it was one of the best fields he had ever seen.

DH13 likes this.
  9. DH13

DH13 12 pointer

Jan 13, 2012
    Shelby county
    We do the same with our field. Been checked many times. 2 or 3 times in one season by different COs. We cook a big meal and after we shoot we eat. Have had Cos come back and eat with us.

10. Rob7

Rob7 6 pointer

Oct 18, 2004
    Been a rough start to the Dove Field Planting this year. Learned a valuable lesson, always "run-in" the friction clutch according to the manufactures directions on the tiller prior to tilling . Not doing so cost me a new gear box and 2 weeks of down time this year; expensive mistake. Finally finished tilling night before last and look forward to planting the clearfield sunflowers one evening in the coming days as weather permits. IMG_7760a.jpg IMG_7780a.jpg

hunt-4-life21 likes this.
  11. hunt-4-life21

hunt-4-life21 12 pointer

Sep 26, 2007
    Butler Co.
    Your umbrella is cute, Rob. What's your plan on herbicide this year?

12. T-wil69

T-wil69 8 pointer

Jan 16, 2015
    Looks like a killer spot, I like that power line running across

13. Rob7

Rob7 6 pointer

Oct 18, 2004
    LOL hunt-4-life21, I was waiting for a comment on the umbrella. It was hotter than you know what and thank goodness I had that ol umbrella and some duct tape in the back of the truck! Spent 10 hours on that tractor Sunday doing almost all the tilling. Somehow a metal T post ended up in the middle of the field and found its way in and around the tiller, thank goodness I adjusted the friction clutch or that would have been 2 gearboxes for the year. I plan to spray with lightning again this year once they get 2-4 leaves on them. I hope to spray sooner as opposed to later this year in hopes to knock down the small weeds before they get too hardy. I planted the clearfield variety again this year. I do have same issue with the plate size for the seeds. Most drops are 2 seeds per spot in lieu of 1. Last year I had some of the seed from the year before (bigger seed) and put those in the right canister and the new ones (smaller seed) in the left canister. One could definitely see the difference in the alternating rows. Where 2 plants came up (left canister rows) in one drop the heads were on average 7" in diameter. Where the 1 plant came up (right canister rows) the average size was 9" in diameter so I am working on the theory of (2) 7"'s is better than (1) 9". Pictures and additional explanation from last year can be found here http://www.kentuckyhunting.net/threads/dove-field-planning.157516/page-8
    and here http://www.kentuckyhunting.net/threads/dove-field-planning.157516/page-10
    T-Wil, thanks, it has been a good field over the years, the power line is a big added bonus.

14. bigpuddin43

bigpuddin43 12 pointer

Feb 21, 2007
    bucktown
    I would be interested in an average seed count on 9 inch head vs 7 inch. I noticed last year on mine (use a no till drill for soybeans so not very consistent plant spacing) the smaller heads seamed to not fill out in the middle as much and also didn't lay over so the gold finches wore them out as opposed to the bigger head they never seamed to touch.

15. Rob7

Rob7 6 pointer

Oct 18, 2004
    Great points big, all the heads whether they were 7" or 9" laid over just fine last year however I didn't pay attention to development of the inner part nor seed count. Based on this "reference" https://bybio.wordpress.com/2012/09/30/how-many-seeds-in-a-sunflower-seed-head/ she counted the seeds on a 6.75" diameter head and came up with 1080 seeds per head. Another reference states 1000 - 2000 seeds per head http://www.sunflowerguide.com/sunflower-seeds.html Here is another interesting reference that estimates typical yields at 1000 - 2000 lbs per acre https://sanangelo.tamu.edu/extension/agronomy/agronomy-publications/sunflower-production-guide/ ...
    Great... now more things to think about... Thanks!