Eels?

Discussion in 'Fishing' started by Foam Steak, Jan 26, 2009.

1. Foam Steak

Foam Steak 10 pointer

Jun 29, 2006
    Harrison County
    How do you find/catch them?

2. trader rob

trader rob 8 pointer

Apr 5, 2004
    ne ky..
    go to the inside bend in the creek, where the leaves and muck settle and collect. take a potato fork, or your hands and pitch a scoop of leaves up on the bank. the eels will squirm out and head back to the water. rub a little sand on your hands to be able to hold them.

3. barney

barney 12 pointer

Oct 11, 2005
    That sums it up very well. I don't think there is a better "creek bait" than an eel!

4. Steven Buckley

Steven Buckley 6 pointer

Apr 20, 2007
    Floyd County
    Lickin river is fool of them

5. Foam Steak

Foam Steak 10 pointer

Jun 29, 2006
    Harrison County
    Fool of them? are you guys telling me the truth or funnin' the Yankee boy?

6. barney

barney 12 pointer

Oct 11, 2005
    The Licking is full of them. I found them once on a "jig pole'n" expedition, down around Blue Licks. I found those under a bridge where debris had collected.

7. trader rob

trader rob 8 pointer

Apr 5, 2004
    ne ky..
    some places will have them, some won't. i used to hunt them in the gorge area, years ago. there are a few places here that have eels.

a good substitute are spring lizards. still hard to catch, but killer bait.

8. Foam Steak

Foam Steak 10 pointer

Jun 29, 2006
    Harrison County
    OK, thanks for the advice. I am going to give it a shot this summer.

9. CSS archer

CSS archer BBBC Members

Dec 13, 2001
    Central KY
    The american eel spawns in the Sargasso Sea, I've never seen a small one. I've caught plenty that were 2-4 feet long.

10. Steven Buckley

Steven Buckley 6 pointer

Apr 20, 2007
    Floyd County
    Yes full of them, salamander's what I call water dogs is a much better bait and much easier to keep alive! Smallis freakin love em! I also love to fish with Hellgramites they are a smallie killer as well

11. barney

barney 12 pointer

Oct 11, 2005
    These are not actually eels, but freshwater lampreys.(hyperoartia) I did witness a large group of adults spawning on a riffle one spring. Thats the only time I ever saw an adult. The adults and larval stage are quite different in appearance, and the larva actually go through a metamorphosis to become an adult. The larval stage, are the ones we collect from shoals, for bait.

12. barney

barney 12 pointer

Oct 11, 2005
    An old timer taught me the trick to keeping keeping the eels alive, and I have kept them for up to a week.

Most people put them in a bucket full of the debris they came from, but this usually kills them quickly, because it drowns them. I just grab a few hand fulls of green tree leaves, wet them in the water, and put them in a cooler......then ad the eels. Keep them cool and damp.......that is the trick!

13. JasonGoneFishing

JasonGoneFishing 12 pointer

Nov 26, 2007
    Kentucky