Electrocution

Discussion in 'Community Forum' started by bobtownhunter, May 10, 2019.

1. EdLongshanks

EdLongshanks 12 pointer

Nov 16, 2013
    Northern Kentucky
    Ouch! That’s amazing. Thank goodness you are on the mend. Scary.

2. littlebear

littlebear 12 pointer

Aug 21, 2007
    the woods
    No need to be shocked that many times. Use your meter to check to make sure circuit is dead before working on it.

3. EdLongshanks

EdLongshanks 12 pointer

Nov 16, 2013
    Northern Kentucky
    I’d say he is like most electricians and think nothing of wiring 110 fixtures up while they are hot.

dirtstalker and yote hunter like this.
  4. littlebear

littlebear 12 pointer

Aug 21, 2007
    the woods
    I’m an electrician myself and a meter doesn’t take but a second to use especially when dealing with voltage that can kill you. Everyone I’ve ever heard of that got hurt bad with electricity wish now they had used a meter to double check.

Genesis 27:3 and Dark Cloud like this.
  5. reivertom

reivertom 12 pointer

Dec 17, 2007
    Greenup Co.
    I came close to dying a few years ago and haven't had a bad day since. If I am vertical and breathing, everything else is icing on the cake. It sounds like you have been given a second chance like me. Nothing seems to bother me as much in my daily life these days. I hope you have the same experience.

Genesis 27:3, barney and Dark Cloud like this.
  6. Cornpile

Cornpile 12 pointer

Dec 1, 2006
    Kornfield County,KY
    When it comes to electricity,dont trust anyones word that its off.Your life is
    on the line,period. It only takes 1/10 of 1 amp to kill you. Lighting circuits
    in most all homes run on a 15 amp breaker.110 VOLTS/15 AMPS CAN KILL YOU.
    If your not sure about what your doing,then dont. The meter is your life line.Learn how to use it and USE IT EVERY TIME.
    Ive been a electrician for over 35 yrs,Please be safe. I am glad you are ok,you were dam lucky.
    Lots of people think they can do wiring,but there is a lot more to it then just putting two wires together.

dirtstalker likes this.
  7. Genesis 27:3

Genesis 27:3 8 pointer

Oct 13, 2018
    Christain county
    Agree totally.

8. dirtstalker

dirtstalker 10 pointer

Nov 20, 2009
    Clay County
    Yup..amperage kills, not voltage. A 9 volt battery puts out enough amps to kill you.
    I work with alot of 480 volt 3 phase at work..my techs are leary of it. But they will open up a 24 volt control circuit panel and try to to in there live like its nothing, same with 120 volt. I have had some deep discussions with guys over this...now we require arc flash protection ppe when opening ANYTHING thats live. Panles, junction boxes, etc. I dont care if you arent reaching in the panel, and are just looking, i catch them without the arc flash on..it is a write up. I would rather piss these guys off, then have one of them hurt. Even with a panel powered off, first thing they are taught to do is check with the meter..anything they are to work on.
    My younger guys are used to it, and ususally are really good about it. Some of the older techs, some been here longer than ive been alive, they still grumble about it..but electricity is no joke. And it plays no favorites, so, be careful. If you dont know what you are doing, stop, and call someone who does. The cost of an electrician is a helluva lot cheaper than a dr bill, or worse.

And yes, ive been bit a bunch over the years, and 99% of it was my fault, by being careless.

9. bowhunter269

bowhunter269 12 pointer

Nov 21, 2006
    Fisherville, KY
    Buddies make fun of me but I shut down power and check EVERY time I touch it.....EVERY time !! It's not something to take chances with.

dirtstalker likes this.
  10. dirtstalker

dirtstalker 10 pointer

Nov 20, 2009
    Clay County
    Better for them to make fun of ya..than to have them carry you!

11. childersb24

childersb24 6 pointer

Mar 25, 2010
    Your a lucky man. As an electrician that was the first thing they taught us. Treat every wire as if it’s hot until verified.

12. beauhunter41031

beauhunter41031 8 pointer

Jan 1, 2018
    Cynthiana, Ky
    It’s the lower voltage/amperage stuff that will hold onto you, normally higher stuff will just blow you straight off.

Lock out tag out