elk hunt

Discussion in 'General Hunting' started by Clint Daniels, Dec 30, 2003.

1. Clint Daniels

Clint Daniels 8 pointer

Mar 10, 2003
    ky
    Need help with gear preperation for elk hunt in colorado. Other than heavy boots and possible gps any thing else I might need beyond late season deer hunting in kentucky. Unguided (maybe) hunting on public land in Montrose, 2005. Want to be prepared, but want to minimize cost.

To hunt, provide for my family, and serve my Lord and savoir Jesus Christ.

2. RDL270

RDL270 Cyber-Hunter

Apr 14, 2003
    Fern Creek KY
    Make sure your boots are broke in and make sure you are in shape. Run or ride a bike, walk up/down hills.I'd get there a couple of days early to get your lungs acclimated to the air. Shoot your rifle and shoot it some more. Depending on whether your hunting the timber or flats you could have a 50 yard shot or a 400. (I'm assuming your rifle hunting) Weather can be fickle out there, I hunted in 60 degree weather in shirt sleeves and or a foot of snow on the ground. Are you hunting the 1st or second season? Its addicting and you can't beat elk meat!!! Good luck.

3. I know where you are talking about. I once lived in Grand Jct. Wear many layers insteaded of one big warm coat. Weather out there can be fickle. I've seen it 70 degrees in the valley and looked up on the mountain top and it was snowing.

Plant it and they will come!

Paul Downs

4. Clint Daniels

Clint Daniels 8 pointer

Mar 10, 2003
    ky
    I have a brother that lives in telluride and I visited him one july and it was 90 degress in the day and 40 at night. We went from 90 in the town to snowing in an old mining town called tom boy.

To hunt, provide for my family, and serve my Lord and savoir Jesus Christ.

5. KYhunter

KYhunter Cyber-Hunter

Dec 9, 2001
    I have a couple of hunting buddies that have gone. Said that eventhough they did walk all summer with their packs that they STILL needed to be in much better shape.

6. INKYHUNTER

INKYHUNTER Cyber-Hunter

Dec 10, 2001
    Bowling Green, KY, USA.
    Even if you are in shape the thinner air in the higher elevations will take the starch out of you. You just have to do everything a little slower. Be sure your boots have a cleated sole as the field boots such as L.L. Bean don't have enough traction. You will probable need a couple of aspirin the first night as the thin air will probably give you a headache. Hope you have a good hunt.

7. yelper

yelper 8 pointer

Nov 17, 2003
    I went out there bowhunting for elk 4 years ago, RDL270 hit it on the head. Spend a ton of time getting in shape and try to get there a little early.

The real work begins when you shoot one!!!

I am jealous...

If you must smoke, please do it with BLACKPOWDER!

8. N2MyWake

N2MyWake 10 pointer

Nov 26, 2003
    Kentucky, USA.
    Good wicking socks would be important, a comfortable day pack with plenty of room, the best optics you can afford!

Western Kentucky Boy

9. EC

EC 12 pointer

Jul 13, 2003
    Louisville, KY.
    Probably need a plan to pack it out...they're a bit bigger than a rabbit! hahah

[​IMG]