Exercise Routine for Hunting

Discussion in 'General Hunting' started by Teach Deer, Jul 18, 2018.

1. Teach Deer

Teach Deer 6 pointer

Aug 4, 2013
    Georgetown
    I am a 47 y.o. male with a 35 year history of Rheumatoid Arthritis resulting in serious musculo-skeletal issues (mostly joints and spine)...but I have been into hunting practically all of my life, especially deer and turkey (cannot get drawn for elk...ughh)...

Both my physician and my wife's medical team seriously suggested some major gym time...so we joined together...I have not done serious weight training since college, though for a number of years I actively played and coached tennis...

Anyhow, I am looking for suggestions on which exercises to focus on to also improve my physical condition for hunting (especially deer hunting) on public land (so not ATV use)...especially from any workout/physical fitness types...looking for a very effective but time (1 hour or so) limited routine...

Current routine is 15-20 minutes on a treadmill, 10 minutes on a stationary bike, followed by a variety of exercise machines working mostly individual muscles of upper body (e.g. bicep curls, tricep presses, lat pull downs, bench press, dum bell curls, deltoid sweeps), a few free weights, horizontal squats (since these do not seem to hurt my back) and calf raises/stretches...

Right now, I am focusing on light weights (mostly stretching muscles) like just the bench press bar in 3 sets of 10...because of my RA issues, I know to add weights real slow...

2. Larry Risner

Larry Risner 6 pointer

Mar 15, 2018
    Berea, kentucky
    Sound's like your on the right track. How many days a week are you doing that work out.

3. timer

timer 8 pointer

Feb 20, 2013
    La Grange
    I had tremendous success by simply walking. Persistence is more important than intensity.

xbokilla and carnivore like this.
  4. Billy02

Billy02 Fawn

May 18, 2018
    Dallas, Texas
    What you are following is more then enough i guess. good luck.

5. slicked-it

slicked-it 8 pointer

Oct 20, 2008
    I'm now 41 and in decent shape. I used to be a free weight kind of guy and followed all the standard exercises.... I got results but as I got older, my goals were different. I am going to suggest taking a look at P90X3. It's the original P90X necked down to 30 minute workouts. They are hard but very effective. Years ago I would have laughed at doing yoga......now, I feel like some form of yoga is super important to any workout routine. I still use free weights but they are super light. I focus on push ups, pull ups and cardio moves that promote flexibility as well as agility and strength.

The videos are intense and hard to do in the beginning. That's ok. Just work your way up to a level that you are comfortable with. It's nice getting strength, stretch and cardio all in the same workout and all of it only takes 30 minutes per day. These days, I cringe at the thought of bench press.... 3 sets of 10 for flat, incline, decline....etc. then moving on to the next machine.... Keeping your muscles bound and constricted create the push/pull on your joints (probably painful with the RA). Look at exercises that promote flexibility!!

Just my .02 cents, but I'd look at something a little different than just the standard gym exercises. Also, don't underestimate the benefits of the stretchy bands. They create a lot of resistance and you aren't every holding any of that heavy, dangerous weight.

Good luck, and I hope you find something that works for you!

6. Feedman

Feedman Cyber-Hunter

May 28, 2003
    In the basement
    I walk on the tread mill for about an hour an drink 3 beers

7. rlb165

rlb165 10 pointer

Dec 10, 2001
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2018
  8. Larry Risner

Larry Risner 6 pointer

Mar 15, 2018
    Berea, kentucky
    I did the first P90 exercise program when it came out on VHS when I was in my 40's. Had great results. You can do it at home with very little exercise equipment. Rest and recovery are key at your age. 3 days a week cardio and 2 days a week weight training then take Sat and Sun off.

slicked-it likes this.
  9. luvtohunt

luvtohunt 8 pointer

Sep 1, 2011
    Eubank, Ky
    personally I think endurance training is the most important for walking long treks into the woods and then dragging a game animal out. I would suggest a routine of 3 days a week solely focused on endurance training. That may be on a treadmill with varying speeds from walk to a jog for your hour or maybe a spinning class setting and strength training the other two. Weights are overrated and body weight training is the best way to go. Focus on total body exercises in circuits for best results. Try something like burpees for a minute, followed by light weight lift and tugs for a minute, followed by planking for a minute then rest a minute. Repeat 3-5 times. It will kick ur butt if you go at it with all you have and workout time is way less. Also if you have access to a lap pool, they make for great endurance and tone training as a total body workout.

10. reivertom

reivertom 12 pointer

Dec 17, 2007
    Greenup Co.
    Walk up and down steep inclines a few time per week. This gets your calves stretched and ready for hills.

11. KY Swamp Beagler

KY Swamp Beagler 12 pointer

Feb 20, 2011
    the swamps of Western KY
    It sounds to me like you’ve got it figured. I’ve been on the No Wheat Diet for three years now. I feel better than I have in years. I firmly believe that some of the food we eat causes us far more issues than we realize currently.

FOWLER2671 and Nock like this.
  12. Nock

Nock 12 pointer

Sep 9, 2012
    butler co
    I quit drinking caffeine and soft drinks all together. Been over a year now. Feel and sleep better. Water ,power aid ZEROS , Minute Maid just 15 lemonade and milk.

13. KY Swamp Beagler

KY Swamp Beagler 12 pointer

Feb 20, 2011
    the swamps of Western KY
    I’m still on coffee. I actually started drinking more coffee on the diet. I drink black coffee, water and unsweetened tea and milk sometimes.

I keep a bottle of water and cup of coffee close at all times at work. I drink the coffee and chase it with water. If I don’t my hands dry out bad especially in winter.

I went off cokes probably 6 years ago. I lost weight pretty fast doing that. Of course, I could put away a couple 2 liters easy.

I think mass consumption of sugar in America is the killer.

Regardless of what steps you take I believe in “everything in moderation, even moderation.” Last night the little lady and me treated ourselves to an 18oz. steak and a baked potato. Then the Colter Wall concert in Madisonville:)

Going on a diet and watching what you eat doesn’t have to suck. I’ve seen too many heart attacks and strokes in my family to not take care of myself.

FOWLER2671 likes this.
  14. Feedman

Feedman Cyber-Hunter

May 28, 2003
    In the basement
    I quit soft drinks a few years back. Still have a half sweet tea every now an then. I feel much better.
    I have also cut back on the adult beverage consumption. Those soda pops with the foam on top are might tasty this hot weather.

15. Nock

Nock 12 pointer

Sep 9, 2012
    butler co
    I’ve tried a sip of sprite and it burned the whole way down. And almost immediately upset my stomach. That right there tells me all I need to know. If I drunk a whole can of Coke or Mt dew I’d be sicker than a dog.

Feedman likes this.