F&S article on unethical celebrity hunters

Discussion in 'General Hunting' started by joelwalters, Jan 1, 2018.

1. trust me

trust me Troubled Loner

Nov 27, 2004
    Jerkwater, KY
    I'd say the cameraman got the last laugh. That footage had to come from somewhere.

Feedman likes this.
  2. KY Swamp Beagler

KY Swamp Beagler 12 pointer

Feb 20, 2011
    the swamps of Western KY
    That he did. And the pain of losing all those sponsors lingers far longer than one punch.

3. joelwalters

joelwalters Spike

Aug 19, 2014
    N. Ky
    If you like Rinella, you have to check out his podcast. They have done about 100 episodes so far. It is called themeateater podcast. I think he is the one that said my quote in the initial posting about the baptismal fountain. Interestingly, he has also had his own brush with unethical behavior in his youth and he owns up to it in his books. He talks about breaking the roadkill law in Montana (since changed) and trapping an otter just barely out of the legal zone. The otter story in particular seemed to change his course and wake him up to what path he was heading down. Good stuff.

4. shaman

shaman 8 pointer

Jul 20, 2004
    Neave, KY, USA.
    That's not the first time I've heard that on these threads. You'd be surprised how many folks will get on a deer hunting forum and ask about TV shows "Is it real?" What's more, invariably these same people want assurance that their favorite personality is real even if all the others are fake.

A number of years ago, I was exchanging email with Ken Howell. Ken, God bless him. If there was ever a fellow that was the real deal, it was Ken. Ken had written many books on rilfes, edited magazines, and even developed several cartridges. Ken had retired and taken up residence at 24hourcampfire.com. My conversation with Ken was over the expectations of readers over the accuracy and truthfullness of what they read. In one of my humor pieces, I had invented the "Pillar of TrVth." Any gun writer could stand on the pillar and spout whatever he wanted. If it was truthful, he'd get a little green light and a chirp acknowledging that the words as truth. If it wasn't, a large bolt of lightning would issue from the heavens and blast the writer into atoms. Ken was critical of it, because well, he was often critical of me for writing what he saw as fantastic, frivolous stuff. He also took it as being critical of gun writers. I opined that the Pillar of TrVth was not a jab against gun writers, because there no gun writer out there that would ever stand on it. Ken had to agree, and annointed me into the fraternity.

My point is, it's all fake to a point. Even the driest rifle looney print articles are to some degree apocryphal. Every piece of outdoor-related content is there for 2 reasons:
    1) To entertain.
    2) To sell something.

KY Swamp Beagler likes this.
  5. KY Swamp Beagler

Feb 20, 2011
    the swamps of Western KY
    As hunters it seems we start putting people on a pedastool at an early age. Our Daddy, Granddaddy, Uncle or Old Man Johnson down the road that runs the best hounds God ever graced this earth with get put high atop the mountain. As you age you realize no one can live up to those lofty, unrealistic expectations forever.

However, there’s nothing wrong with holding ourselves as hunters to a higher standard. We’ve made our bed with the damned hunting industry and now it’s our responsibility to show them we won’t tolerate their nonsense.

Jim Posewitz said something along the lines of hunters don’t have to worry about anti-hunters causing us problems we’ve got the outdoor tv hunting industry that does that for us.

It will likely get worse before it gets better....

Last edited: Jan 3, 2018
    forager and mudhole crossing like this.
  6. xbokilla

xbokilla 12 pointer

Jun 28, 2012
    Well the difficult part is about not supporting them. There's almost nothing you can buy or use out there these days that isn't sponsoring the industry or has someone in the industry promoting it. So what do you do? I've said time and time again, I don't relate anything I do to what those guys do but I'd still rather watch a hunting show (not all a few) than 90% of the other crap on TV. The almighty dollar controls so much these days and heck even the pioneers of the industry are guilty. They might have promoted what we love but also prospered and made a living from it and paved a way for these modern guys. Plus times have changed, especially with social media coverage and those guys could have very well been doing a few illegal things back in the day. I know it's a lot of rambling but what do you do? I buy the products I want to buy but I'm sure somewhere one of these bozos is profiting. I mean I don't think anyone out there would be "shocked" if they read this article and at the same time I don't think it's gonna steer our media/TV driven society from watching hunting shows. So what's the solution? Send letters? Boycott all the outdoor channels? I mean I know people who were die hard baseball fans who gave it up after the strike of 94 and still refuse to watch but it hasn't exactly "hurt" the industry.

bondhu likes this.
  7. bigbonner

bigbonner 6 pointer

Aug 5, 2015
    Pro-Wrestling is fake ?? What the next thing shaman will tell us there is no Tooth Fairy ,Santa Clause or a Easter Bunny .

People believe anything .
    Moon Shiners . Amish Mafia , most National geographic , most if not all hunting shows killing penned animals , all made to entertain .

8. KY Swamp Beagler

Feb 20, 2011
    the swamps of Western KY
    I start by buying from outdoor companies that give back to conservation and promote public lands. They are out there. It might cost a bit more, but I can justify the increase. I don’t have satellite or cable so I don’t have to worry about watching outdoor tv. I do subscribe to a few outdoor channels on YouTube and podcasts that are good shows that promote the type of hunting, values and ethics I grew up on.

xbokilla and Feedman like this.
  9. forager

forager 8 pointer

Mar 5, 2017
    planet earth
    How did our forefathers get it done with only a shotgun, overalls and a flannel shirt?!

How did our ancient ancestors get by without boot warmers, scent block and matching camo?!

Seriously, I find the following much more interesting than some heavily sponsored, tech clad gear geek that is a well paid puppet promoting products.

gung likes this.
  10. wv67

wv67 6 pointer

Dec 19, 2017
    Southern wva
    Yes sir I agree 100% I don’t buy into all that garbage , ozonics , scent crusher crap, kills me , You absolutely don’t need it and it sure the hell don’t give no advantage and No one will ever convince me other wise

11. bondhu

bondhu 10 pointer

Jul 3, 2015
    Battle Run
    This is what is great about America, If you want to hunt all Danal Boonish you can, if you want hunt with the latest and greatest well your welcomed to. I will buy or not buy what I want , how about that. Like xbokilla stated I will continue to watch what I want until they take a knee or something they do don't sit right with me.
    I have meet several of the people of the industry and I have my opinion about them all. Drury guys have always impressed me and even though Harold Knight is from Western Ky:), he and I talked about dove hunting for an hour, he hadn't dove hunted since they started filming elk. Only thing that pisses me off about these guys, is why I couldn't think of something to sell.Come on mega millions or powerball!:D

12. shaman

shaman 8 pointer

Jul 20, 2004
    Neave, KY, USA.
    Some are. I wouldn't call a large high-fence operation in Texas a "pen." Technically, it's not free-range, but you can hunt the whole time and never see a fence. A lot of the outfitters offer fair chase hunts on free ranging animals. However, that's still different from how you and I hunt.

The part you're not seeing is that if you want to cater to these TV Pros, you're going to have to a) be willing to accept a plug on the show for payment. b) Go out of your way to provide a fast-in, fast-out opportunity.

This means that you're going to have a couple of monsters pre-scouted. If the action is dead or the weather is bad, expect the whole thing to be bagged, and the producer has a contigency plan. It's off to the next state and the next location. All your work goes for naught. It isn't ducks-in-a-barrel simple, but by the time the Pro arrives, you've better be offering him a high-percentage of success.

13. xbokilla

xbokilla 12 pointer

Jun 28, 2012
    Well again, I see some comments above and respect those and agree but it's deeper than we think. BPS, Cabelas, Sportsmans, F&S, etc...are all heavy contributors to conservation but also the things about the industry we don't like as well. Even Walmart for that matter! I mean broadheads, arrows, etc...all piping those funds. I'm in agreement not to consciously support the crap but it's gonna happen in some way, shape or form.

14. shaman

shaman 8 pointer

Jul 20, 2004
    Neave, KY, USA.
    First off, you have to understand that I was a bowhunter for 25 years. I also own a crossbow and have hunted with it. I've got nothing against bowhunting.

Having said that, let me say that my consumption of hunting-related items plummetted when, due to a bum shoulder, I switched from bow to rifle back in 2007. I mean ridiculously so. I usually alloted myself a budget of $300/year for stuff, but I nearly always went over. Most of that money went to feed the bow.

My point is that although bowhunting looks on the surface to be a back-to-nature primitive sort of pursuit, in reality it is really a highly sophisticated, complex, and costly hobby. Furthermore, the outdoor channels are filled with shows that glorify it and encourage folks not only to dive in with both feet, but continually consume more and more bowhunting paraphenalia.

When the shoulder caused my sudden and permanent withdrawal from bowhunting, it was like a huge part of my life had ended. However, I immediately began to notice a bunch of things:

1) I was going into Christmas with a lot more money in my pocket.
    2) I had a lot more time available in the fall.
    3) I was enjoying my family a lot more.
    4) My evenings from Labor Day to Christmas weren't nearly so hectic.

After a decade off the bow, what I can tell you is that I spend just as much time in the woods in the fall. However, I'm not stuck up a tree anymore. I do a lot more scouting. I'm actually seeing a lot more deer, and I'm understanding a lot more of what I see. When mid-November comes, I go out and fill the freezer over a week or two, and then get inside before the really bad weather hits. I spend the winter at my reloading bench, getting ready for the Summer.

Where this relates to this thread, is that all this consumerist crap got lifted from my shoulders when I stopped bowhunting. My visits to BassPro and Walmart dropped dramatically. I stopped needing to watch the Outdoor Channel to see what the latest trends were.

BowHunter20 and KY Swamp Beagler like this.
  15. KY Swamp Beagler

Feb 20, 2011
    the swamps of Western KY
    I was referring to supporting companies that go above and beyond the money they contribute due to the Pittman-Robertson or Dingell-Johnson Acts, which are mandatory.

First Lite, for example, has the option for you to add a donation at checkout to TRCP, BHA, etc. They also do a donation match during the year. There other clothing/gear companies that also step up to the plate.