F&S article on unethical celebrity hunters

Discussion in 'General Hunting' started by joelwalters, Jan 1, 2018.

1. supergoat80

supergoat80 8 pointer

Aug 31, 2012
    While i believe these shows are smoke and mirrors full of magic pixie dust. I hate to say they are the biggest hunting recruitment tool there is. These shows draw a lot of men and a lot more women that would have never would have thought about hunting if not for these shows. Now I will say I don’t watch them anymore and that face painter Chris Brackett well “I smell vinegar and water” just look at him. I work with a guy who wears his face paint the same way. It’s good stuff

2. shaman

shaman 8 pointer

Jul 20, 2004
    Neave, KY, USA.
    on the other hand. ..

With hunting shows, everything appears to happen inside a half hour. It's like Bowhunting with a bad case of AHADD. It gives you the idea that it's a fast-paced sport. It isn't. It's more like watching paint dry or watching the Intenational Grass Growing Finals.

Case in point: (Stop me if I've told this story here) A few seasons ago, somebody showed up on the neighbor's property on an ATV with a Ghetto Blaster playing head-banger rock bungied to the handlebars. He'd roll a little, look through his binos, and then roll some more. This went on all day. It finally occurred to me, this fellow thought he needed his own soundtrack to go hunting, because that's what he saw on TV.

forager likes this.
  3. forager

forager 8 pointer

Mar 5, 2017
    planet earth
    This is what worries me, more yahoos in the woods acting irresponsibly because of what they want to emulate on TV. Because they can put a bunch of hunting gear on a credit card, they can recklessly endanger another hunter who has spent the time and discipline to properly harvest an animal.

It's the same with these survival shows. People watch some "expert" and hurt themselves trying to be badass, or someone else in their party.

4. cedar ridge

cedar ridge Spike

Dec 3, 2015
    South Central KY
    growingdeer.tv

This is the only hunting show I’ll watch. Yes it has sponsors but it’s super educational, family friendly, and appropriate for any age level. I’ve seen all 423 episodes and have never been disappointed.

5. xbokilla

xbokilla 12 pointer

Jun 28, 2012
    Well I mean think about this, I've seen post on here where people talk about the EverCalm roll on stick product. Well that is made from scent collected on deer farms and high fenced operations. The same with standing estrous products. A lot of people, me included, would have no desire to hunt high fence/farm raised but if we buy these products we're supporting what they do. So what are we supposed to do? Just refusing to watch hunting shows isn't going to do it. Remington, Winchester, Caldwell Shooting Supplies, you name it and in some way you'll be surprised at what we buy or use that is linked to the "hunting entertainment industry". The stories like the one above with the guy blasting music, etc...is what blows my mind. Are people really that dumb? Hilarious. Maybe a little edge of your seat music will help while I'm on stand since the deer haven't seemed to show this year.

6. T-wil69

T-wil69 8 pointer

Jan 16, 2015
    What makes me more mad than anything is how I can spend thousands of hours scouting and putting the miles on the boots, doing everything I can to be scent free, and you have the people who go out for their first time, drive their truck to their stand, sit there in their blue jeans smoking their cigarettes and smoke a monster it happens every time

7. KY Swamp Beagler

KY Swamp Beagler 12 pointer

Feb 20, 2011
    the swamps of Western KY
    Are you serious?

That’s just hunting. It happens every year because those guys are probably farmers getting a few hours to themselves to hunt. I remember FarmerTom or FarmerJohn (can’t remember his handle) killed a good buck wearing blue jeans and a flannel shirt. I say more power to them.

8. shaman

shaman 8 pointer

Jul 20, 2004
    Neave, KY, USA.
    A while back, I was digging a video from Steyr Mannlicher. I would never drop $6K on a deer rifle, but they make awesome Youtubes. In the comment section, some bloke opined that this video epitomized what he thought Austrian hunting should be: highly restrictive, open to only a select hunting elite. They were, after all, the only ones that could truly enjoy it.

Yikes! The bloke got savaged by the other commenters. However, I've seen those kind of opinions from others. I don't agree. Hunting should be open to everyone that can follow the rules.

At the risk of getting flamed like that guy, let me just say that these TV pros that are being discussed in this thread tend to encourage the wrong types to the sport. At least they give the wrong impressions about it.

1) It isn't about competition. You're not out there to be outdooing your brother, or showing him up. There are no winners or losers.
    2) This isn't about who can spend the most money on their gear
    3) This isn't about who can take the biggest antlers out of the woods
    4) This isn't a matter of seeing how much you can get away with when nobody is watching
    5) This is just as much a sport about failure and loss as it is about attainment and winning.
    6) There is very little about this sport that can be expressed in less than 10 minutes of content ( what you get when you take out all the commercials, intros and credits)
    7) It isn't how scent free you can be, or how much UV you block, or whether your camo matches.

If every show ends with a kill shot and a bunch of high-fives, what's the point?

The other day I watched an amatuer video of a bow kill-- 15 minutes worth. It had fairly high production values. Somebody took a lot of time and effort to make it. There was the obligatory setup footage with whispered narration, the setup, the kill shot, the tracking shot, and the guy-on-the-buck-sitting-on-the-buck-using-the-antlers-like-a-steering-wheel shot. However probably 10 of the 15 minutes were showing:
    • In-car banter and exteriors of the vehicle
    • Beautiful shots of the sunrise backlighting the hunters preparing to hunt
    • The scent-free bag of hunting clothes
    • Spraying the clothes with some preparation
    • The bows glistening in the sun
    • Broadheads in the early dawn
    The gear was obviously more important to these guys than the actual hunt. Everything was backlit, so you couldn't see logos. It was a big commercial without sponsors. I'm not saying these guys were wrong, but it was certainly wrong-headed. It was a glorification of gear and clothing and preparation. The dead buck was just another piece of kit.

KY Swamp Beagler likes this.
  9. trust me

trust me Troubled Loner

Nov 27, 2004
    Jerkwater, KY
    Maybe, just maybe, you're doing it wrong.

Want to be scent free? Be downwind. Want to be invisible to deer? Stop moving so much. Want to see more deer? Turn the phone off and start looking.

bondhu, Dark Cloud and Feedman like this.
  10. bigbonner

bigbonner 6 pointer

Aug 5, 2015
    Some hunters are just deer blind . Deer can be standing there and some people can't se it .
    I have known a few hunters that I would have to point out a deer and wait until the deer moved so their eyes could pick it out .

11. T-wil69

T-wil69 8 pointer

Jan 16, 2015
    Maybe your right, maybe I should just go out there smelling like biscuit and gravy I ate that morning, drive all the way to my stand that I just put up the day before season because I decided I wanted to be a hunter this year, pour out two bottles of deer cane that I picked up half price at Walmart, climb up in my stand with uncle Jim’s rifle that he says is lined in, make sure my buck collector barrel sticker is stuck on tight, sit there for 15 mins and shoot a 160 class buck, cut the antlers off and throw away the rest because I don’t know how to skin a deer and I don’t eat wild meat because I just started this year.

I never said that I had any problems killing bucks I meant that I am successful because of alll the stuff I do leading up to deer season and it took me many years to figure out what I was doing wrong and how to fix it

12. xbokilla

xbokilla 12 pointer

Jun 28, 2012
    It is funny. I know way more 1st time dumb luck stories than I do experienced, spend quality time in the woods and be rewarded for it stories. I got two deer mounted but honestly I've never taken a "big" deer in my life. However, I know several who have hunted once or twice, did nearly everything wrong, and killed a monster. That's just hunting tho.

13. rabbit dawg

rabbit dawg 6 pointer

Mar 9, 2010
    This is what's wrong with hunting today. Jealousy. People think "I scouted more, I deserve that deer". "You didn't earn that deer". "I've been hunting longer, I should kill a bigger deer than you". If you think like this, find another hobby you bunch of whiners. Otherwise, go out and enjoy the hunt. It's not a competition.

forager likes this.
  14. T-wil69

T-wil69 8 pointer

Jan 16, 2015
    No it’s not a competition but I believe you should have to work for what you want not have everything handed to you like most people in this world today everyone wants stuff handed to them

forager likes this.
  15. KY Swamp Beagler

KY Swamp Beagler 12 pointer

Feb 20, 2011
    the swamps of Western KY
    What about the 16 year old kid, whose parents don’t have a pot to piss in, that had to borrow Uncle Jim’s rifle, his Dad dropped him off at the nearest local WMA before sunrise and pole axes a booner while walking to his spot? Does that rub you raw, too?

Dark Cloud likes this.