F&S article on unethical celebrity hunters

Discussion in 'General Hunting' started by joelwalters, Jan 1, 2018.

1. T-wil69

T-wil69 8 pointer

Jan 16, 2015
    I know what u mean it’s not the people that are just starting out that bother me it’s the people who have no interest in hunting at all that do it , I know one person that went out one year to try deer hunting shot a nice one the first day and has never been since, he says it’s to easy, I would show him a trail cam pic of a monster and he would say go kill it, it’s not hard

2. T-wil69

T-wil69 8 pointer

Jan 16, 2015
    You automatically go the worst scenario you can think of, I’m not talking about kids, I’m not talking about farmers nor am I talking about people who are just starting out, u know what kind of people I’m talking about, the ones that have no interest in hunting but just do it because that’s what all their friends do

3. KY Swamp Beagler

KY Swamp Beagler 12 pointer

Feb 20, 2011
    the swamps of Western KY
    What does it matter their “interest” in hunting? Hell, people used to go on annual Thanksgiving rabbit, coon and squirrel hunts and never hunted the rest of the year. They just did it for the comraderie, fellowship, just to experience it for the first time or maybe they wanted to see the dogs work.

I don’t give a damn if someone’s interest in hunting is as much as mine. What I care about is that they folllow the rules when they go, are respectful and show their support to the tradition of hunting.

Somewhere along the way I think we’ve went off the path and damned if I don’t think the “big buck mentality” has hurt us.

And no I’m not directing this to you specifically...

submariner, rabbit dawg and bondhu like this.
  4. T-wil69

T-wil69 8 pointer

Jan 16, 2015
    Everybody has their own opinion, I wanted to voice mine and I’m not gonna attack you for voicing yours, I wasn’t fed with a silver spoon and I will continue to work hard for what I earn it hasn’t let me down yet

rabbit dawg and KY Swamp Beagler like this.
  5. KY Swamp Beagler

KY Swamp Beagler 12 pointer

Feb 20, 2011
    the swamps of Western KY
    I agree with you on the importance of working hard:)

T-wil69 likes this.
  6. Tom Threetoes

Tom Threetoes 8 pointer

Oct 4, 2002
    southern Indiana.
    If you want to screw up a fun activity just try to make money at it. Works almost every time!

bearleft and rabbit dawg like this.
  7. GentlemanHunter

GentlemanHunter Spike

Aug 10, 2017
    Fayette County
    Rich business owner at the bar looks at the woman next to him and offers her 5 million bucks to sleep with him, no strings attached. She considers it and says, "You're a decent looking guy, I could do that." Then he drops the offer to $25. Offended, she retorts, "What do you think I am?!"

"Ma'am, we've already established what you are. Now we're just negotiating price."

I just listened to Randy Newberg's podcast when this guy came up. After ranting about these sorts of antics, he pointed out that he's thankful that he's got a day job and never relied on his media platforms to put bread on his table. Which is why I like his hunting shows/podcasts etc. Same for Chuck Hawk's G&S Online. They're knowledge and passionate and I can trust the products they mention. Some of these other "personalities" and outdoor media outlets, no so much.

8. trust me

trust me Troubled Loner

Nov 27, 2004
    Jerkwater, KY

I wasn't trying to pick a fight with you. But your sense of entitlement is showing.

Why would someone else's success make you mad? How do their methods and results affect you and your success? Quick answer: they don't. Fact is, your decision to buy into all the retail gimmicks and gadgetry don't do a lot to up your chances of bagging a deer, but if it makes it fun for your, then go ahead with it. Buy it all. It's your money. But it isn't necessary, and I and all those other blue jeans-wearing losers will continue to prove that it isn't.

barney likes this.
  9. T-wil69

T-wil69 8 pointer

Jan 16, 2015
    I don’t buy all that bs, the only thing I use other then what I have to have like camo, bow, gun is a good set of rattleing antlers and grunt call, before I go hunting I wash my hunting clothes and another set of clothes in baking soda and hang out to dry, when I wake up to go hunting I take a shower in unscented soap, run outside in my birthday suit freezing my butt off throw on the extra set of clothes, drive to my hunting spot, change out my clothes and walk to which ever stand has the right wind, yea it’s a pain in the butt to do that every morning but I couldn’t tell you the last time I’ve been busted

10. shaman

shaman 8 pointer

Jul 20, 2004
    Neave, KY, USA.

That was one of my grandfather's favorite jokes. There's a lot of truth in it.

Having a day job really means a lot.
    I'm not going to go really deep into this. If you can dig on the weblog for details. About 9 years ago, I was asked my opinion of a certain product. I replied that it patently absurd and useless. Later, a representative of the company wrote me, wanting to open a dialoge. Whatever. Soon, I had samples of the product in hand, and a detailed description of how to test it. I did. It was absolutely positively useless. I told the rep so. He persisted. He sent me more product and more paraphenalia to conduct the test. NOGO. Not only was it useless on a practical level, but the basic premiss of the product was deliberately misleading.

Now the magazine I was pro-staffing for got into the act. They wanted a positive review. This was a big advertiser. I refused. I've got a day job that pays well. When I write for pay, I normally ghost write. As a result, I never recanted my position. The magazine finally relented and said that as long as I prefaced my statements as just opinions, we could still be friends.

I asked a buddy in the business about it-- turns out he had been similarly approached and said the product was hooey. The advertiser had tried to make trouble with the magazine where this guy was a regular columnist, but the magazine was too big and the ad dollars they were getting from the vendor were too small. The mag told the advertiser to take a hike. In my case the magzine was smaller and needed every ad dollar it could find.

Shortly after that, I was sent a book on deer hunting to review. It was a fairly well known author. The last chapter of the book was devoted to this product and how wonderful it was and how it was the future of deer hunting. By this time, I knew not to poke at the bear. I turned in a cursory review that did not mention the chapter on the product in question and I might have gotten a pull quote published. I don't remember. There were several other books that devoted chapters to this product, and several articles written.

Since that incident, my weblog gets hammered every year for the articles I'd written on the "Elephant Repellant." I'm sure it effected sales of that product. You seldom see it mentioned anymore. Meanwhile, that "buddy in the business" got himself canned from one magazine and got picked up as a columnist for a couple more, and he's probably now considered the most thorough, authoritative and trustworthy voices in the world of gun rags.

forager likes this.
  11. Iceman35

Iceman35 12 pointer

Oct 27, 2008
    Boone County
    Hmm. Interesting. My experience was quite the opposite. I took up bow hunting to spend more time at home, and not cram my entire season into two weeks.

I now hunt when it's convenient for the family, and find I enjoy It more because I have 5 Months to hunt. I can experiment with different things during those 5 months because I don't have to "get it done" in 14 days.

I get the gear junkie thing, and I'm not bashing you, I've just never been like that. Got a 10 year old bow, and haven't fed it anything but wax and a new string in the last 5 years. I will say I spent a fair amount on arrows a few years ago because Cabelas had the ones I use on sale. Still have a lot left. I never really cared about what some pro was using because 90% of us can't hunt like they do.

Guess what I'm saying is, hunting is what we make it as individuals. There are general public people with day jobs that are as big of slimeballs as some of the TV hunters, and they don't have the pressure of killing a buck on TV. What we do or don't do shouldn't be based on what they do.

cedar creek likes this.
  12. slicked-it

slicked-it 8 pointer

Oct 20, 2008
    I couldn't agree more!! Love growingdeer, the management advantage and Meateater. Meateater is more entertainment and I always like to see how he prepares the food. Growing deer and TMA are more educational and focus on teaching you how to tailor your land to the animals your pursue. Lots of information without all the "grunt tubes with the sound chamber that extends to the ground" kind of stuff.

hotdog and cedar ridge like this.
  13. Himmels

Himmels Fawn

Oct 23, 2016
    Thanks for posting. One of the cruelest shots I have ever seen in my life on that second buck. No respect for the animals he is Hunting, what a total jackass.
    I know you all teach your kids better

14. beauhunter41031

beauhunter41031 8 pointer

Jan 1, 2018
    Cynthiana, Ky
    When Teddy Roosevelt was president he went on a bear hunt and refused to shoot one that was tied to a tree for him I guess you could call him a celebrity Hunter but he did the right thing hence the name teddy bear

15. ptbrauch

ptbrauch 12 pointer

Nov 10, 2004
    J-Town
    Anyone ever stand in the store and look at the aisle of deer hunting products and wonder how our grandpas ever killed a deer?

And speaking of killing them in blue jeans with a cigarette, my ex-FIL was one of those guys. He wouldn't leave the house until the sun was up, wear his blue jeans and a jacket, pack a walmart bag to sit on so he wouldn't get a wet butt, smoke cigarettes in the truck the whole way there and while he was sitting in the woods. He also hunts in a zone 3/4 county (depending on the year) and yet he kills a deer nearly every year.

Now, he also goes out squirrel hunting nearly every day the season is in. And he'll hunt squirrels both morning and afternoon. And while he's out there, he notices where they deer are and what times they are coming through there and so when deer season comes in, he knows where he needs to be.

My story on one-time hunters is my buddy who I deer hunt with each year. That's the only hunting he does and really, that's the only time he's ever in the field. I know when I'm hunting with him, I'm going to get texts from the stand, he's going to want to hunt out of a stand that we put up 10 years ago and no one has seen a deer from in about 8 years, I know he won't listen to me when I tell him to hunt a different spot, and I know he will probably be unsuccessful and I know I will probably be also. But he's also my friend and I know we'll spend a lot of time together on the tailgate and have a good time telling stories.

And I know that he'll get bored with it and begin to make other plans on the days after opening day and I'll get to hunt how I want those days.

cedar creek, forager and DARKCLOUD like this.