Fawns are dropping

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by WMAallDAY, May 17, 2018.

1. DH13

DH13 12 pointer

Jan 13, 2012
    Shelby county
    My Cows wont eat a Deer stake or fried Turkey egg. Will yours???? I do all I can to find Fawns or a nest before I mow. Out of a total of 87 acs bailed. Killed ONE fawn. Moved probably 20 and mowed around 3 Turkey nest. Got around 70 more acs to cut. But will walk them FIRST.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2018
    beauhunter41031 likes this.
  2. beauhunter41031

beauhunter41031 6 pointer

Jan 1, 2018
    Cynthiana, Ky
    That's all you can ask for, got to give DH13 some major credit, if you've ever tried walking even 500 yards through a thick,chest high hayfield you might as well run a 5K

mudhole crossing likes this.
  3. DH13

DH13 12 pointer

Jan 13, 2012
    Shelby county
    I know a lot of farmers cant do it or the time to walk and look. Some have BIG BIG FIELDS. Most of ours are 35 acs or less. Me and my Buddy start walking about 7:30 while dew is still on. Spread out about 10 feet apart and zig zag back and forth to we cover the field. Still will miss one but try and watch close while mowing. NO I'm not perfect or better than anybody else. Just don't like killing a Fawn or destroying a Turkey nest. My buddy and I are both hunters. So we take the time and try to save a few.

mudhole crossing likes this.
  4. Lady Hunter

Lady Hunter 12 pointer

Jan 12, 2009
    We gave up on mowing our farm last weekend. Left about half the top field undone after finding 4 fawns & 1 turkey nest. (All fawns survived, my husband was taking hte 4-wheeler ahead of the tractor & spotted them - and only broke 1 egg in the nest, hope the hen came back). Made only one lap on the bottom when a doe went completely berzerk charging at the 4-wheeler. Figured she had a reason so left it alone. And didn't even get a lap done on the far bottom before spotting yet another fawn.

We got lucky. One of my son's friends wasn't. She was mowing & found twin fawns. After hitting them with the bushhog.....

5. hunter40502

hunter40502 6 pointer

Mar 5, 2014
    Bracken County
    Yes, its a matter of what you value. No judgement meant on my part. :) For me, I value wildlife habitat the most, so I don't cut during those times.

6. DH13

DH13 12 pointer

Jan 13, 2012
    Shelby county
    I value the wildlife. That's why when I bush hogg mow I leave about 8 to 10 feet not mowed around my fence rows. I got woods to so I hinge cut and leave stuff growing there for wildlife to. SEEN QUAIL for the first time this year. But hay you got to cut it when it is ready. If I was just bush hogging off the field I wouldn't mow till mid July. Getting ready to start some food plots now.

beauhunter41031 likes this.
  7. beauhunter41031

beauhunter41031 6 pointer

Jan 1, 2018
    Cynthiana, Ky
    People that do not farm for a living will have trouble understanding why we have to do things at certain times and if you don't you must have a big inheritance headed your way and it doesn't matter that you make money and support your family, obviously everyone on here values wildlife or you wouldn't be a member of a Kentucky hunting forum, i'd be upset if I saw a post of a guy saying he mowed over baby deer and turkeys for fun

Last edited: Jun 14, 2018
  8. hunter40502

hunter40502 6 pointer

Mar 5, 2014
    Bracken County
    I can understand that. Its true that I don't need to farm, or want to, so I don't have a dilemma. So I see that others have to choose to cut hay even if it means harming wildlife. Its just a price to pay. Makes sense.

9. louisvillehunter

louisvillehunter Spike

Oct 27, 2017
    Louisville
    Checked one of my cameras this weekend. Lots of does and bucks but no fawns. I thought for sure I would have seen one in the pics.

10. littlebear

littlebear 12 pointer

Aug 21, 2007
    the woods
    Saw a couple of fawns up and running in field with does this last weekend while baling hay.

11. bah1286

bah1286 6 pointer

Jul 29, 2014
    Ours mostly seem to be up an running now. We cut around 200 acres and ended up hitting four fawns. Hit one along a road on our farm so I started walking the fields before my dad would go in them and he did thNearly finished before hitting three in a single 5 acre field. Walked it and everything. They just didn’t move and darn things can hide so well. Lost count of how many we moved. Finished now and just waiting for big bucks to show up on camera.

12. Meatstick

Meatstick 8 pointer

Oct 25, 2013
    Nelson County
    Have seen at least 10 in the last week. Damn near stepped on twins frog gigging Saturday night. We somehow didn't get any with the disc mower this year. Bout 80 acres of hay. Unfortunately did get at least a half dozen turkeys

13. mudhole crossing

mudhole crossing 12 pointer

Aug 20, 2007
    East ky
    Been seeing some here in east Kentucky. Sure is a pretty site. Hopefully not another catastrophic summer here.