Fed my kid a Mayapple!

Discussion in 'General Hunting' started by Hoosier Sasquatch, Jun 28, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Hoosier Sasquatch

Hoosier Sasquatch Spike

Sep 11, 2017
    Madison, Indiana
    I don't want to post too much--if I get on your nerves please tell me--but I thought many of you ( particularly parents) would enjoy this short one.

Carl likes this.
  2. shaman

shaman 8 pointer

Jul 20, 2004
    Neave, KY, USA.
    From Wikipedia:

Toxicity
    The unripe green fruit is toxic. The ripened yellow fruit is edible in small amounts, though when consumed in large amounts the fruit is poisonous. The rhizome, foliage, and roots are also poisonous.[15] Mayapple contains podophyllotoxin,[16] which is highly toxic if consumed, but can be used as a topical medicine.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Podophyllum

3. Dark Cloud

Dark Cloud 10 pointer

Aug 14, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    That thang is not ripe if it’s hard

4. Hoosier Sasquatch

Hoosier Sasquatch Spike

Sep 11, 2017
    Madison, Indiana
    As stated, you'd have to eat a LOT. And you never, of course, eat the plant.

You wouldn't believe the ridiculous videos titles I have seen; things with titles like "Eating the deadly mayapple!"

They may be toxic in large amounts, but so is sugar. The main thing is perspective--you'd have a hard time finding enough to hurt yourself.

Many things consumed by humans come from posionous plants.
    Rhubarb, for example--though we eat the roots, the leaves are highly toxic. The seeds of most fruits we eat are toxic. Tomato plants are very toxic, though I understand people can cook wit them somehow. Blech! Have to know which part to eat.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2018
  5. Hoosier Sasquatch

Hoosier Sasquatch Spike

Sep 11, 2017
    Madison, Indiana
    Not sure what you consider "soft" but I've never seen one you didn't have to peel.

6. Carl

Carl 12 pointer

I have eat a lot of them but not many at a time. I only eat them when they are yellow.
    Yellow.JPG

7. bird whisperer

bird whisperer 10 pointer

Aug 16, 2012
    Hog Town USA
    I enjoy your videos. Keep it up.

8. Hoosier Sasquatch

Hoosier Sasquatch Spike

Sep 11, 2017
    Madison, Indiana
    Thank you!