Feeling the "bern"

Discussion in 'Habitat Improvement' started by huntr467, Aug 8, 2017.

1. huntr467

huntr467 12 pointer

Not much activity on here lately.
    With this unseasonably cool and wet weather is anyone else getting ready to plant fall plots?
    We are adding ground hog radishes to our arsenal this year and it is time to get those planted. Due to logistics, and for the sake of time, I think we are going to gamble and plant everything this weekend or next week depending on the rain this weekend. It is a few weeks earlier than we have done it for the last 10 years but I think we are going to take a gamble. All the long range forecasts I am seeing are pointing towards a cooler and maybe wetter August than normal. I'm not sure how the wheat will like it, but if temps stay down it should be ok.
    We have always planted the wheat and turnips at the same time the end of August or first of Sept. which was a little late for turnips and early for wheat anyways and they always turned out fine. Anyone else?

2. ddwhitetails

ddwhitetails 10 pointer

Jul 6, 2014
    Gonna be down next week and plant some radishes and wheat before the eclipse craziness!! Got a full house at the Lodge!

3. Rob7

Rob7 6 pointer

Oct 18, 2004
    We are hoping to plant this weekend.

4. nock

nock 12 pointer

Sep 9, 2012
    butler co
    IMG_1665.JPG IMG_1666.JPG
    Working on four plots.

5. huntr467

huntr467 12 pointer

Full house! That's awesome. I am trying some of those radishes this year. I'm gonna plant some stand alone and then some mixed in with turnips. I'm curious to see the difference.

6. ddwhitetails

ddwhitetails 10 pointer

Jul 6, 2014
    Tell me how it works for you! Over my way they love the tops and the bottoms of the radishes. they didn't eat the turnip tops to much if at all!! I got a group renting the lodge right now from Hollywood! they are filming in Paducah. I guess the movie is called Burning Kentucky.

7. Capttrae

Capttrae 12 pointer

Apr 2, 2012
    All our guys are meeting up this weekend to plant

8. Recurve77

Recurve77 6 pointer

Aug 7, 2012
    We planted about 2 acres total involving 6 separate small plots this past weekend. Winter wheat, turnips, radishes and couple of new clover plots. I felt like it was a little risky to plant the clover but the impending rain and 10 day forecasted temps were too tempting not too plant while I had the seed and help. It started raining 3 hours after we drug the last field and rained for 7 hours, @ 1 1/4 inches. The way I looked at it, I can always buy more clover seed and redo the field in September if the clover plots burn up from a hot, dry spell over the next month. A neighbor also planted all of his plots also seeding clover.

9. mustanginky

mustanginky 6 pointer

Sep 25, 2011
    louisville KY
    I will be doing it in two weeks hopefully. Got about 2 acres worth of clover, some brassicas and some winter wheat to put out.

10. nock

nock 12 pointer

Sep 9, 2012
    butler co
    Planted everything tonight. Still got some oats/wheat to do. But I'll wait till October for them.

11. huntr467

huntr467 12 pointer

Started at 6 this am. Had 10 plots to do totaling about 9.5 acres. Got all but 3 done, they are about 3 acres total. Had those done before noon and radar was showing rain close by so we stopped and finished up cutipacking the ones we already planted.....rain didn't show yet. lol
    So hope to finish tomorrow or Sunday depending on how wet they get.

12. Rob7

Rob7 6 pointer

Oct 18, 2004
    Planted some Falcone mix that I got from the Lexington southern states in a couple spots and then some winter wheat in another couple spots. Now need to get some brassicas in the ground; hopefully Tuesday evening. In the process the disc's failed on me. Anyone able to offer advice on best way to repair? I cant seem to figure out what holds the one part in and up in the sleeve. It almost looks like some kind of split washer or something along those lines? The first picture is one that is still good and the second is the one that fell out/came apart.
    IMG_5349 - Copy.JPG IMG_5352 - Copy.JPG IMG_5360 - Copy.JPG