Finn 209 and GW 810 In your opinion ...

Discussion in 'General Hunting' started by Carl, Dec 28, 2003.

1. Carl

Carl 12 pointer

Dec 1, 2003
    Underground Bunker in KY
    Is it legal to shoot grackles. I have looked through the laws and I am still unsure of the legality. Lots of people have been shooting them along with starlings for years. Until recently I thought starlings and grackles were the same. They fly together.
    Thanks,
    Carl

2. Finn209

Finn209 Cyber-Hunter

Mar 13, 2003
    Lewisburg, KY. USA
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Carl</i>
    <br />Is it legal to shoot grackles. I have looked through the laws and I am still unsure of the legality. Lots of people have been shooting them along with starlings for years. Until recently I thought starlings and grackles were the same. They fly together.
    Thanks,
    Carl
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Carl,
    Grackles are federally protected. I realize there are millions of them and that they fly with Starlings which are not protected. I also realize at times because of problems that roosts are sprayed and many of them are killed legally because of a permit for doing that. But the only two wild birds that can legally be shot are the Starlings and English Sparrows. Except for the other birds which have a season listed for them (like Crows). This is a federal regulation that KDFWR doesn't have control over. At least this is the way that it has been explained to me. Hope this helps.

[​IMG]

The Kentucky Conservation Officers' Association