Finn 209, I found the law on grackles check this

Discussion in 'General Hunting' started by Carl, Dec 29, 2003.

1. Carl

Carl 12 pointer

Dec 1, 2003
    Underground Bunker in KY
    Go to www.gpoaccess.gov in executive resources section go to CFR/code of federal regulations, then browse/searchfor grackles, go to no.7, read title 50, part 21, sec 21.43

The way I read this you can shoot crows, magpie , yellow-headed red- winged, rusty, and Brewer's blackbirds, cowbirds,and all grackles, (without a permit) if they are found committing or about to commit depredations upon ornamental or shade trees, agricultural crops, livestock, or wildlife, or when concentrated in such numbers and manner as to constitute a health hazard or other nuisance.

I appreciate your input on this,
    Carl Miller

2. Finn209

Finn209 Cyber-Hunter

Mar 13, 2003
    Lewisburg, KY. USA
    Thanks Carl,

If folks are having damage or problems from them, I refer them to -

The USDA - Wildlife Services number is: 502-582-5536. The best person to contact is Keith Stucker. They have several techs throughout the state, but calling the centralized Louisville office is your best bet.

[​IMG]

The Kentucky Conservation Officers' Association

3. Valley Station

Valley Station Cyber-Hunter

Finn,
    It's getting a little complicated , but, according to Ky statutes, isn't it illegal to shoot anything but crow, english sparrow , starlings or game birds.
    Can we legally shoot a grackle in Ky to prevent garden sweet corn
    damage?? Can I shoot song bird for "leaving" big white paint eatin' spot on hood of my ol' truck??[:)]
    Been hearin a bunch of people talking about , wanting to shoot a "red bird" just here lately.[:I][:)]

4. Finn209

Finn209 Cyber-Hunter

Mar 13, 2003
    Lewisburg, KY. USA
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Valley Station</i>
    <br />Finn,
    It's getting a little complicated , but, according to Ky statutes, isn't it illegal to shoot anything but crow, english sparrow , starlings or game birds.
    Can we legally shoot a grackle in Ky to prevent garden sweet corn
    damage?? Can I shoot song bird for "leaving" big white paint eatin' spot on hood of my ol' truck??[:)]
    Been hearin a bunch of people talking about , wanting to shoot a "red bird" just here lately.[:I][:)]
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

VS,

Yes, according to Ky statutes you can only shoot Starlings & English Sparrows. You can also shoot game birds and crows when their season is open.

According to the site that Carl found you may be able to shoot grackles and a few other (black bird type) species without a permit when they're causing you damage or posing a health risk to you. Although in paragraph C of that section, it still mentioned that a state permit of some type may or may not be needed.

I'd still suggest calling the USDA contact number in my post above if they are causing damage or posing a health risk.

[​IMG]

The Kentucky Conservation Officers' Association