First snake of the year

Discussion in 'General Hunting' started by nock, May 3, 2018.

1. bird whisperer

bird whisperer 10 pointer

Aug 16, 2012
    Hog Town USA
    Never seen one of those, at least not alive so that it could flatten out its head.

2. T-wil69

T-wil69 8 pointer

Jan 16, 2015
    They don’t bother me I usually catch them first before I kill them, but when we bought this house last year we found a few skins in it, I know they catch mice but I can deal with the mice in my house, that being said I did turn loose two green tree snakes that I found last year because I never see them anymore and I killed two copperheads last year

3. T-wil69

T-wil69 8 pointer

Jan 16, 2015
    That’s two of the 5 I’ve killed, we always called them rat snakes or chicken snakes

4. beauhunter41031

beauhunter41031 6 pointer

Jan 1, 2018
    Cynthiana, Ky
    Well that's my exemption if it's a poisonous snake they're dead ☠️

5. JR PORTER

JR PORTER 6 pointer

May 1, 2014
    KNOTT CO. KY
    Want some? About 5 years ago we weedeated the whole head of the holler and we killed 47 copperheads that summer, haven't seen many since then but we usually kill 5 or 6 a summer.

6. Cornpile

Cornpile 12 pointer

Dec 1, 2006
    Kornfield County,KY
    We called them Spreading vipers,Nice one. One year as we were getting ready to cut tobacco my Dad and uncle caught a copperhead.
    They found him in the tobacco sticks as they were loading them on the wagon. They put him in a big glass
    jar with a lid. At lunch at my grandmothers on Sunday there was always a big family crowd back then. My Dad offered ten bucks to anybody
    that could hold their hand against the outside of the jar when the snake would strike.
    Nobody got the money......

7. Capttrae

Capttrae 12 pointer

Apr 2, 2012
    I’ve only seen one of those. Cool little snake. I don’t have a problem with a snake so long as I see it a ways off. If I look down between my feet and see a snake it dies first and I feel bad about it later

xbokilla likes this.
  8. Duster

Duster 12 pointer

Bless her heart my Mother In Law called me up once all tore up. She was widowed at the time and seldom went out past her carport. Call went like....you have to hurry up here, I need help fast. There is a Cobra on my carport. I had a idea what it was but like a good son in law I went 4 miles to her place fast as I could. Yep about a 4 ft long hog nose still by the door. I reached down and grabbed it behind the head and took it to the woods out back and set it free. She just knew that cobra was going to bite me and I was going to die.

9. aaronc

aaronc 6 pointer

Jul 21, 2009
    Leitchfield
    Yep that's a hog nosed snake. Not really a great ID'er on snakes but I do know that one. I saw this one the other day metal detecting,..my phone was closer than my shovel. He seemed to only want to get back to the old house after a hunt so I let him go,..not sure of the ID on this one,..I'm guessing something along the garter snake line,..if I can get pics to load

10. aaronc

aaronc 6 pointer

Jul 21, 2009
    Leitchfield

Attached Files:

11. aaronc

aaronc 6 pointer

Jul 21, 2009
    Leitchfield
    snake

Attached Files:

12. bigbonner

bigbonner 6 pointer

Aug 5, 2015
    Nope sure don't want any poisons snakes . I say send them and build a boarder wall pit . But they would probably just kill and eat em .

13. xbokilla

xbokilla 12 pointer

Jun 28, 2012
    Like Cornpile, we called ‘em Spreading Vipers but indeed a Hognosed. We had a lot where I grew up but haven’t seen one in years. I still remember walking up on two on an old farm road in a field near my house. Scared the crap out of me! Looked like King Cobras to a 10 year old!

nock likes this.
  14. xbokilla

xbokilla 12 pointer

Jun 28, 2012
    Holy $h!t!! I’d be scared to death to hunt there!