First snake of the year

Discussion in 'General Hunting' started by nock, May 3, 2018.

1. JR PORTER

JR PORTER 6 pointer

May 1, 2014
    KNOTT CO. KY
    If you think that's bad you otta go up on Pine Mountain in Letcher Co. the woods are full of rattlers! I've killed several rattlers around here but it's not like Letcher.

2. xbokilla

xbokilla 12 pointer

Jun 28, 2012
    I hunted Knott during a fairly warm October back in 11. Owner of the land warned us about rattlers. Thank goodness we didn’t see any! Copperheads are worse IMO.

3. childersb24

childersb24 6 pointer

Mar 25, 2010
    4CBB94F3-CE5A-49E7-836F-928A86D9BF7B.jpeg I was at my in laws place in Marion County 2 summers ago riding 4 wheelers. Came up on this monster rattle snake in the creek bed. I have never seen one before. It never would rattle at me even with messing with it. It’s eyes was solid white, guessing it was fixing to shed or just finished. I was told not to kill them if I ever seen one because they haven’t seen one up there in 16 years so I just took a picture and left it alone. Still to this day haven’t seen another one. I’ll kill the next one I think because it would have made a pretty mount.

nock likes this.
  4. Feedman

Feedman Cyber-Hunter

May 28, 2003
    In the basement
    Grew up with lots of copperhead an rattle snakes.
    If you ever hear that rattle you will never forget it. It does sound like a jar fly but if y ou hears it you know the difference

5. mudhole crossing

mudhole crossing 12 pointer

Aug 20, 2007
    East ky
    Def a unique sound. I rode up on one while horse back riding. When that thing started rattling, my horse almost fell backwards with me. He knew exactly what that noise was .

6. Hoosier Sasquatch

Hoosier Sasquatch Spike

Sep 11, 2017
    Madison, Indiana
    Cool. I've seen a couple of them over the years.

7. nock

nock 12 pointer

Sep 9, 2012
    butler co
    I’ve never seen one.

8. Feedman

Feedman Cyber-Hunter

May 28, 2003
    In the basement
    Consider your self lucky. I hate walking up one one of those ?$-&-(/- rattle snakes. Scares the crap out of me every time.

9. xbokilla

xbokilla 12 pointer

Jun 28, 2012
    In the wild, I’ve never seen a rattler or a bobcat and grew up in an area that had both. Crazy, I know.

10. dirtstalker

dirtstalker 8 pointer

Nov 20, 2009
    Clay County
    I hardly ever see any kind of snakes if im out by myself. An old man told me once..boy iffen ye dont go lookin fer em..ye want ever see em...and ive kept that in mind my whole life.

Now..if i have my boy or nephew out with me..im always on the look out for snakes...and i usually see one.

I do not kill snakes though. They get a pass from me. I will move and relocate poisinous snakes if needed..unless they are directly in my yard around the house..which never happens. The ol lady has enough damn cats that they aint nothin for a snake to eat around here..so they stay away lol.

Carl likes this.
  11. kraynky

kraynky Fawn

Dec 28, 2014
    Elizabethtown, KY
    I do not like these snakes I've said,
    and iff'in I see one,
    he'll soon be dead.

Y'all can have all the snakes you want, they give me the heebie- jeebies. If I come up on one fast, or see one while I'm on the ground turkey hunt'in, it's a goner. If I see one leaving, I let it go. Just don't look at me, or coil up! My wife hollored at me "SNAKE!" When she was mowing (God love'r) and when I walked up to it, the darn thing raised the first foot or so of it's body off the ground and scared the crap out of us both. He didn't have time to lower himself back down, I did it for him. BAM! Good snake.

Right or wrong, I just don't like 'em.

Lady Hunter likes this.
  12. bondhu

bondhu 10 pointer

Jul 3, 2015
    Battle Run
    LMOA

13. shaman

shaman 8 pointer

Jul 20, 2004
    Neave, KY, USA.
    Eastern Hognose Snakes are fun. If you get one honked off, he'll mimic a rattlesnake. If you call his bluff, he'll roll over and play dead. You'll think you've scared him to death, but the mimicry only goes so far. Roll him over, and the dead snake will immediately re-assume the death pose.

kraynky and nock like this.
  14. shaman

shaman 8 pointer

Jul 20, 2004
    Neave, KY, USA.
    I was raised in suburban Cincinnati. Hamilton County had not had a report of poisonous snake since 1948. Growing up, I knew every snake I met was benign.

Wow! Did I have an education when I went the the Big South Fork region! Wife 2.0 grew up down there. Over time, you learn to recognize them by their odor. If you're walking down the path and smell cucumbers, watch out! That's a copperhead. Watermelon? That's a rattlesnake. I never did find out what hoop snakes smell like. :)

15. shaman

shaman 8 pointer

Jul 20, 2004
    Neave, KY, USA.
    Our farm is in Bracken County. One afternoon about a decade ago, KYHillChick saw me coming in from a hike and announced the dog had something down at "the pile." Sure enough, there was a pile of old fenceposts at the corner of the yard, and Barney my sheppard mix was being very attentive.

I went down and saw a bigger-than-average black snake sunning in the grass by the pile. I got a stick and started to investigate. While I was keeping the snake busy with the stick, I saw what I took to be his friend moving in the grass several feet away. Black Snakes are fairly docile, so I decided to pick up the snake and see how big he was. It turned out the "buddy" was actually the back end of the snake. I'm 6'4" tall I held that snake up to shoulder height with the stick and there were still bits laying on the ground at both ends. Shortly after that, the snake started to take umbrage with my attentions and chased me and the dog. He moved in under the house, and outside of monstrous skins we find every summer, we have not seen him since. We also haven't had mice or rats to any degree.