Fish left at ramps and on banks

Discussion in 'Bowfishing' started by mrdux, May 28, 2014.

1. mrdux

mrdux Guest

We are having a terrible problem down here on the big lakes and rivers of bowfishermen bringing their kills up to the top of the ramps or onto the banks, taking pictures of them all lined up, then leaving the dead carp to rot on the bank in the public areas of ramps and fishing areas. Most folks are tickled to see every one of the Asian carp killed but don't want to show up to fish or launch and see or smell piles of them lined up and rotting. Cut the swim bladder then toss them back into the river so the fish and turtles can dispose of them.

If you see this happening, please report these idiots to F&W. They are giving the sport a black eye all in the name of bragging on some social media site about what a great hunter they are.

2. allseasonhunter

allseasonhunter 6 pointer

Feb 2, 2010
    rumor has it that some guy got caught recently and fined 2500 for doing this. it was on face book and his acoount has since beendeleted so you cant see his bragging pics. i have heard the gws are doing stakeouts and have cameras up at the tailwaters below ky and barkley lakes now.

3. gung

gung 8 pointer

Jan 29, 2004
    Graves County
    I hope so.i was there a couple weeks ago and the piles of fish was disgusting.pure lazyness.

4. deadaim

deadaim 12 pointer

Dec 12, 2001
    Booger Hollar
    nothing worse than rotting fish............

5. mchunter

mchunter 8 pointer

I haven't heard this rumor but I hope it's true. I was told, a month or so back, by the local CO that the first one they caught they were gonna make an example of. It gives all us bow fishermen a bad name and puts a scar on the sport. My buddy was getting gas in draffenville last year and a guy pulls up and starts chewing is but out and accusing him of dumping fish at rocky point. Apparently the old man thought that since he had a bowfishing boat, he had to be the one doing it. Heck, my buddy has never even been to rocky point boat ramp. Lol.

6. nock

nock 12 pointer

Sep 9, 2012
    butler co
    It ain't just people bow fishing. For some reason people like to dump their crappie back out at the ramp. After they are done cleaning them.

7. KYBH4Life

KYBH4Life Banned

Feb 13, 2011
    What is wrong with this? I always thought I was doing a good thing but putting the carcasses back into the water so fish could eat them. Circle of life thing..

I do this at the river and lakes and when home I put carcasses throughout my creek for the crayfish to eat

8. mrdux

mrdux Guest

Nothing wrong with throwing them back into the water if the swim bladders are cut. I think his issue was with folks throwing them on the ground around ramps.

9. nock

nock 12 pointer

Sep 9, 2012
    butler co
    No problem with throwing them in the water. I was referring to the ones people leave on the ramp.

10. hunt-4-life21

hunt-4-life21 12 pointer

Sep 26, 2007
    Butler Co.
    Supposedly there was a thread on BFC yesterday about this issue. I never seen it but a couple people were talking about this incident. Whether or not this was true, I don't know, but some guys claim the guy had taken the fish out of the boat and laid them right on the ramp for a picture. That's when the CO pulled up. Some said he was going to put the fish back in his boat and sink them, like MRdux had mentioned. But they fined him anyways. Who knows what's true. I know that when I was down there Monday, we pulled the fish out and laid them on the bank for a picture, before cutting their bladders and sinking them. I'm just going off here say but if the guy truly was going to sink them after taking a picture, I would fight that fine. Now if the CO's would've watched him lay the fish there and take off towards home, yea sure I agree.

Fish dumping gets bad down there, I know. I hate it for you local guys. I'm not trying to start rumors by stating what happened, just reinstate what I've heard.

11. KYT

KYT 8 pointer

May 3, 2008
    Eastern Ky.
    It all can be traced back to having some consideration for someone other than yourself. Those people who leave trash and rotting fish at boat ramps have no consideration for anyone else. Why should they? They were never taught any better at home or in school.
    Most of the problems of the whole world could be solved if more people were trained at a young age to have consideration for other people.
    As for sinking dead fish so they can be eaten by aquatic life--that is fine if you're talking 1 or 2 fish in a quarter mile of water, but hundreds of fish rotting in the water is even worse than hundreds of fish rotting on the shore. They rot a long, long time in the water and turn the water into foul toxic soup. At least on land they they go from smelling horrible to gone quickly.
    Personally I think people should bury them if they don't want to take them home for food or fertilizer, or at least put them on shore in some out- of- the way spot where the flies will dispose of them in a couple weeks.