Fishing courtesy

Discussion in 'Fishing' started by quackrstackr, Mar 26, 2007.

1. quackrstackr

quackrstackr Welcome to Fantasy Island Staff Member

Nov 19, 2003
    The Island
    I am reminded yearly while fishing the waters of Ky and Barkley lakes just how rude and obnoxious some people are.

We were sitting stationary approx. 25 yards off of a point yesterday throwing jigs up to the shoreline, actively catching fish and had been there probably 15 or 20 minutes. A boat came down the bank and actually fished the same point between us and the shoreline, completely cutting us off. Bare in mind, we were close enough that we could throw well up onto the bank if we wanted to. We had to actually stop fishing or hook these guys and yank them out of the boat.

Tha' Hat asked the guy if they were about to run out of lake to fish when they first started pulling in front of us. He was answered with "what?" and a look that would curdle milk, as if we were the ones intruding. :rolleyes:

It usually happens to me 2 or 3 times a year.

May people like that spring a leak in their boat and have it sink 3 miles from the nearest ramp.

and also... if you see someone catching fish... give them the courtesy of a job well done and don't make a beeline to them so that you can cast to the exact same patch of water from the side. There is enough water out there for everyone and I gaurantee you that the water directly in front of that boat is not the only place on the entire lake that the fish are biting.

2. sirgiovanni

sirgiovanni 8 pointer

Mar 11, 2004
    Evansville, IN, USA.
    It is the new way of things it seems. I can remember a time when people waved, slowed down as they passed, and then PASSED. No more unfortunately, especially with tournament fishermen. Not all of them, but definately some of them.

3. kybowhunter64

kybowhunter64 Banned

Oct 17, 2006
    NKY
    I would have hooked him and thrown him out of the boat

4. WBBP

WBBP 12 pointer

Nov 24, 2003
    The problem is that it is only getting worse. Stuff like this rarely happened 30 years ago, now it is a regular occurence. I think the next time this happens to me, and I see them going between me and the bank that I will engage the trolling motor and move the boat toward the bank in a blocking motion. I won't say a word until they do.

A certain minority that hunt and fish have a very low sportsman IQ and they aren't gonna stop until somebody stops them.

It is a little differnt story if I am 150' off the bank in 80' of water casting for rockfish in 50' of water and a bass fisherman goes between me and the bank. Last year on Cumberland, a bass fisherman approached our boat and asked me which way I wanted him to go....behind or in front of me? That is the way everyone should be.

5. tistis

tistis 6 pointer

Aug 20, 2003
    vine grove, KY, USA.
    Try shoot some trap over there heads next time

6. aceoky

aceoky 12 pointer

Jul 14, 2003
    The Tin Foil Mansion
    The same type people who cut you off in traffic, cut in lines, and "dare" anyone to say anything, etc.etc.etc. IOW, NO respect for their fellow man.....:eek:

7. Bray

Bray 10 pointer

Jan 29, 2002
    The Interwebs
    My thoughts exactly.

8. Rat

Rat 8 pointer

Oct 9, 2006
    USA
    Those people really fire me up.
    Had that happen several times in the past. The worst case of this was last year fishing on a park lake in Ohio in a row boat for a midnight fish. My cousin and I were rowing in to the dock about 200 feet off shore with a storm coming in when the paddle to one of the plastic oars came unbolted from the shaft and went floating behind us. It was drifting away pretty quickly, but "luckily" another boat was following behind us so we flagged their attention, told them what happened, and shined our light on the paddle. They had a trolling motor so I figured it would be easy for them to move 10 feet to the left to pick it up. The one man in the front yelled back "What oar, I don't see anything", as the other man kept the motor running toward shore. We shouted back for them to turn left, but the gave either flicked us off or waved us off. They passed us about 20 feet to our right and would not look at us. We slowly made our way to the paddle and as we were fixing the oar noticed that they were still unloading their boat at the dock. My cousin yelled out he was going to kick some people's tail and we started rowing in quickly. Those two guys quickly grabbed everything up and jogged to their truck. We never saw them again.
    Those are the type of people that would witness a violent crime in the act and not try to help out. I kept hoping we would see their truck on the side of the highway in broken down. Actually I wished much worse things, but I can't say them here.:mad:

9. mcdenney

mcdenney 12 pointer

Dec 16, 2002
    Wildcat Country, USA.
    Fishing Courtesy??? Not much of it these days. All I can tell you is to tie on a DD22 and whatever you can get out of the boat and into yours you get to keep. :D I have on occassion had guys do me that way a couple times but they usually don't do it again, if you know what I mean. I have been known to put a few boats into the rocks with huge wakes at times also. ;) I am sure I will get blasted on this response but there is no sense in that kind of behavior...PERIOD!!!! While my distance from others is substantially greater than this but if a guys gets so close I can reach him with a cast then he is in trouble.

There are some real idiots on the water these days.

10. notimlmit

notimlmit 12 pointer

Feb 7, 2007
    Barren co.
    This is exactly one of the reasons I'm selling my boat. I'm so sick of the rudeness of others that I hardly ever go out on a boat again. I do walk the banks but also carry a pistol which I leave very visible, funny how much people's attitudes change when they notice this.

11. GSP

GSP 14 Pointer Staff Member

Dec 12, 2001
    Montrose
    Keep a catfish rod loaded up with a 3 oz chunk of lead.;) :eek:

12. quackrstackr

quackrstackr Welcome to Fantasy Island Staff Member

Nov 19, 2003
    The Island
    You have no idea how badly I was wishing I had something besides a spinning rod and crappie jig in my hand.

I buzzed one that would have caught the guy squarely in the back of the head but stopped it at the last second. We cast a few times within inches of their boat trying to get our point across and they completely ignored us.

I thought about trying to jerk the Dr. Pepper can he had sitting beside him out of the boat. :D

13. Xi Bowhunter

Xi Bowhunter 12 pointer

Nov 17, 2002
    Goetz Farm
    Quack, I saw this behavior also this weekend. It was crazy on barkley saturday. We actually met a boat fishing around a point, and I made sure to swing around the guy far enough to let him continue fishing. He gave us a courtesy "nod" and asked us if we had any luck. I said "not yet" and he asked if I tried a jerkbait because that is what he caught a few fish on earlier. That is the way fisherman should treat each other.

14. I really sets me on fire too, but our we really helping solving problem by running them into the rocks. Yeah I'd love to run them in the rocks but I'm not going to lower myself to the way they are. If one guy does this then another retaliates it just goes back and forth and the other guy never learns anyway. People will never learn courtesy, they will continue to be jerks until somebody runs in their spot, then it changes. Just make some noise with your radio or take a swim, that will make them leave. I've caught some good fish on a air up raft like that and some idiots got mad and left!:D

15. KYhunter79

KYhunter79 12 pointer

Dec 11, 2003
    Irvington, KY
    A little common courtesy and respect goes along way. Does anyone ever go to Paylakes? Sometimes me and a couple buddies will hit a paylake my uncle owns. You start catching fish and people will actually try and sit in your lap. It's rediculous. You can be sitting 50 feet from anyone and you starting catching a few fish and you will have a couple people in your elbow room on both sides with in minutes. And everyone else that can cast from where they are sitting will crowd your bobber. A couple times I counted over a dozen bobbers in no bigger than a 5X5 square. It came reaaaaaal close to fighting after getting my line crossed so bad I had to cut and reset everything. What idiots.