For anyone that orders crickets

Discussion in 'Fishing' started by Duster, Jun 12, 2019.

1. Duster

Duster 12 pointer

If you don't mind who do you order from. I ment to post this a couple days ago but just got around to it. I placed a order for 1000 large crickets that were supposed to be 3/4 inch or larger. I got around 90% that were 1/2 inch or less. I will try and grow them larger but who knows if it will work or not. Right now it would take 3 or 4 on a hook to even tempt a bluegill. They did come very alive with no dead ones seen.

cricket order.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 15, 2019
    KYBOY likes this.
  2. barney

barney 12 pointer

Oct 11, 2005
    They hold the hind legs back to measure in the cricket industry, Duster.

BowOnly, hotdog and Meatstick like this.
  3. OLE RASPY

OLE RASPY 8 pointer

Sep 9, 2018
    Barren county
    Did you count to make sure there were 1000?

4. Meatstick

Meatstick 10 pointer

Oct 25, 2013
    Washington County
    Used to order jumbo crickets from Catfish Connection. And they were jumbos

5. Duster

Duster 12 pointer

I believe they mash them flat first...LOL.

barney likes this.
  6. Duster

Duster 12 pointer

Nope but sure look like it to me when I open the box and dump them into their temp home.

OLE RASPY likes this.
  7. kyhunter99

kyhunter99 8 pointer

Dec 21, 2014
    ky
    Did you order from Flukers?

8. Duster

Duster 12 pointer

V&H feeders off amazon, Came out of Pa. Got here quick as they say and in good condition just smaller than the 3/4 inch large ordered. Think I found a place for 1000 1 inch or better adults for $25 with free shipping. May give them a try next order.

9. KYBOY

KYBOY 12 pointer

Apr 21, 2005
    Floyd,co..Kentucky
    We orders 2000k once for our bait shop(mom&dad use to run) and tipped the box over in the living room. Lost about 500 in the house. Didn’t sleep for weeks

kyhunter99, Rod S., BowOnly and 3 others like this.
  10. Nock

Nock 12 pointer

Sep 9, 2012
    butler co
    I’ll ask where she orders ours from. I keep them in a tote. For some reason they can’t climb it.

11. Duster

Duster 12 pointer

Mine seem to be doing fine in the plywood box. The painting the top half white gloss paint works. I have checked on them a few times since I dump the thousand in and only seen 2 or 3 on the painted area. They came with some potato slices they had ate on a bit, but yesterday I cut a apple in 1/8th slices and put about half of it in with them and they have been working them over ever since. May have to use up a few hundred of the small ones I got then place a order for another thousand adult size from a different supplyer and see what I get. You can find some cheap but they want double or triple shipping cost what the cricket order runs. One place out of Georgia for 1000 adults was $16.80, shipping was $28.50 for three day shipping with no guarantee they would arrive alive.

12. kyhunter99

kyhunter99 8 pointer

Dec 21, 2014
    ky
    I ordered from Fluker farms on a 2 day standard and was very happy with my order. Ended up arriving the next day anyway.
    They do really well giving you care sheets on how to keep them alive the longest.
    I found my crickets love raw broccoli, cereal, clover, and sliced potatoes.
    Made the lady crickets a nesting area with a couple inches of dirt and they took to it immediately.
    They are living the high life until its time for the cricket basket. Then those bluegill dont know what to do.

KYBOY and barney like this.
  13. Duster

Duster 12 pointer

I just put in a order today around noon for 1000 adults. Shipped from PA already. $25 with free shipping. They say the adults are not good for feeding pets just good for fish bait due to them being harder to digest than younger ones. Mine kinda got cold last night and almost look dormant but shake the egg carton sections and they all still move just slow. I turn the light on in the box and check later today and they seem better. A few were hugging the light fixture....LOL.
    FWIW I gave the small ones apple and potato slices and they seem to like them. They came with 4 or 5 potato slices in the box.

KYBOY likes this.
  14. kyhunter99

kyhunter99 8 pointer

Dec 21, 2014
    ky
    Crazy when your crickets get cold in mid june.
    I keep mine in the laundry room. But i put them out during the day.
    Got to clean the cage soon too.

15. Duster

Duster 12 pointer

Yeah I told the wife 50 deg in middle of June is crazy. I think it may have hit 70 max here today.

kyhunter99 likes this.