Fresh oyster shrooms

Discussion in 'General Hunting' started by Recurve77, Jan 4, 2017.

1. WildmanWilson

WildmanWilson 12 pointer

Dec 26, 2004
    Western Ky.
    I had a spot last year that was covered up with Oysters but they were getting old. I was hoping to find them this year but I looked today and there was just a couple and they were very old. Seems I never have any luck finding Oysters on the same tree from year to year.

2. Recurve77

Recurve77 8 pointer

Aug 7, 2012
    IMG_0752.JPG IMG_0753.JPG Picked another 4 lbs on Tuesday & Thursday and still have some babies left to continue to grow. Venison filets wrapped in bacon on the grill tomorrow topped with oyster mushrooms sautéed in butter, garlic and thyme.

3. bondhu

bondhu 10 pointer

Jul 3, 2015
    Battle Run
    Ahh man you gotta post a picture of that meal. congrates on the mushrooms.

4. Recurve77

Recurve77 8 pointer

Aug 7, 2012
    IMG_2105.JPG IMG_2088.JPG I thought I would post a couple of pics showing the progression of these mushrooms. They grow incredibly fast. I'm fortunate to have these in my back yard to allow me to
    pick in their prime condition. It's difficult to find them prime
    in the wild due to how fast they grow and then deteriorate. These went from mouse ear size to half grown in 2 days and then prime in another 2 days.

5. Recurve77

Recurve77 8 pointer

Aug 7, 2012
    IMG_2109.JPG This pic is 2 days after my last harvest. I left a bunch of the smaller ones and this is what they turned into in those 2 days.

Happy Camper likes this.
  6. Rheath

Rheath 8 pointer

Feb 18, 2010
    Owen County
    Are these oysters? Only ever went after morels. Okay to pick? Noticed them this morning right behind my house.
    [​IMG]

7. Bee

Bee 8 pointer

Mar 14, 2005
    They look to be.Assuming they are soft. Also look to be right on the edge of being abut out of date. SOMETIME THE BUGS CAN GET INSIDE THEM. If the viens inside on bottom are perforated and sort of ragged look for bugs.

8. predator1

predator1 12 pointer

Dec 25, 2008
    Glasgow,Ky
    Never knew you could eat those! Dang it. Walked past them many times. Guess I'll have to keep my eyes open for them too now.

9. Recurve77

Recurve77 8 pointer

Aug 7, 2012
    Not sure if those are oysters and if they are they look to possibly be too far along to eat. Do you have a pic showing the gills the bottom?

10. barney

barney 12 pointer

Oct 11, 2005
    I don't think so either, that one looks like it has crumbles, oysters don't crumble.

11. Rheath

Rheath 8 pointer

Feb 18, 2010
    Owen County
    I've always been hesitant with wild mushrooms except morels. Too many species and not experienced enough to distinguish some false shrooms. Maybe I'll get a field guide. Thank you for responses.

12. Gforcetrivers

Gforcetrivers 6 pointer

Sep 23, 2016
    Burkesville
    Looks like a false oyster. Do they have a stem? Usually oysters are more in clumps but should have a
    short stem. Those appear to be attached without a stem. When Identifying mushrooms it is helpful
    to have a picture of the underside as well.

13. Recurve77

Recurve77 8 pointer

Aug 7, 2012
    IMG_2122.JPG Picked the last of the 3 flushes that have occurred over the past 3 weeks. 2 lbs in this last picking. I waited just a day or
    2 too long on a few of these and they were just starting to
    dry out a little but most were still very fresh.

14. Bee

Bee 8 pointer

Mar 14, 2005
    Everybody should be sure about their shrooms before they eat them. Ask an expert or get a book and pay attention to the details of the description.

The picture above that Recurve posted has some portrayal of the gills on the bottom of some of the Oysters. Zoom in on the picture to see the gills and the stem on the ones that are turned upside down in the picture and thus show the bottom of the mushroom. All Oysters have a stem that sort of flows in to the cap and many rows of gills. Two small mushrooms in the extreme up right corner/side of the picture above demonstrate the bottom gill pattern you want t see. fwiw

15. rcb216

rcb216 12 pointer

Sep 25, 2005
    Robertson Co.
    IMG_4421.JPG Got a pic of these while looking for sheds. Must of been a hundred of them. I have a better pic but says its to large to load. Wonder what they are? I have a guide but still can't locate what they are. Look like miniature poof balls.