Friday update

Discussion in 'Turkey Hunting' started by hollandhunter, Apr 21, 2017.

1. hollandhunter

hollandhunter 12 pointer

Feb 11, 2008
    Holland Kentucky
    Who all is out this morning. How has your opening week gone? Im debating if i wanna go out here in a few. If your hunting good luck and be safe.

2. Bee

Bee 8 pointer

Mar 14, 2005
    The first two days in area I hunted were toughest Ive ever seen for a Ky opener. Birds just flat shut up and stayed in deep cover, i think looking for shade in that searing heat and hot wind.
    Doubled two LB with my cousin on monday am right off the roost in a monsoon rain. Killed my second bird tuesday (25 lb-11Oz)and spent next day and half trying to help cousin get his second. I spent more time in the field on these days (13-14 hrs on three days ) than I have ever had to spend in Ky to kill birds. I have always considered Ky to have the finest eastern hunting in the country (and in most years fairly easy birds to kill) but last two years where I hunt in south central it has been slow ,and really slow ,and difficult with totally quite henned birds . I think part of the problem in one place is a totally dominant bird that absolutely controls the territory. He gobbles once and other longboards turn and leave the area. Watched that happen two days. Beautiful state and love hunting it.

3. kycoalminer40

kycoalminer40 Fawn

Apr 20, 2017
    harlan, ky
    been hunting all week long, killed one monday also. the birds are so henned up in the eastern part of the state right now . makes it almost to hunt these mountain birds

4. HappyHunter

HappyHunter 8 pointer

Sep 11, 2003
    Louisville
    Zero gobbling in Shelby county this morning.

5. muddhunter

muddhunter 12 pointer

Oct 18, 2005
    louisville
    I be been dealing with trespassers blowing hawk and crow calls like they are providing cpr. Have gotten on me twice now.

6. Randy1974

Randy1974 Spike

Apr 12, 2016
    I hunted there Saturday thru Tues in Shelby county only heard one bird every day that's it same bird very low numbers seen 2 hens that's it

7. redjackson

redjackson 6 pointer

Dec 4, 2010
    Barren County
    Tons of hens in Barren with very few unvocal toms. Have not seen the first jake. Been a tough week of vacation but much better than work. Wheat has been being chopped so hopefully they can get out in their regular strut zone.

8. Jarhead

Jarhead 8 pointer

Feb 20, 2005
    Allen co. Ky.
    Been hard for me. Only had three gobble on us that I've herd. Hunted every morning except Sunday. Hunted off and on all day long. Been the worst opening week I've ever had. I really don't think The turkey numbers here are what they were. Three corn piles all winter with cameras on them kinda proves my thinking. Good luck!

9. hollandhunter

hollandhunter 12 pointer

Feb 11, 2008
    Holland Kentucky
    I had to all but quit hunting my hunting spot in barren. I have hunted it since 2000. An for the first 15 years of hunting there was Turkey's everywhere. It's about 400 acres total. Every opening day there would be atleast 10 birds gobbling on it. Killed birds off it every year my family and I did. But the last three years it has done a 360. I haven't heard a single gobble on it in years. An only saw a hen or two. It's like something killed them all off. An even though we killed a bunch of birds on it over the years it wasn't hunters that killed them off i dont think. My other farms in Allen co are as good as ever for the most part. That is the only place that has just done a 360 from the best place I got to hunt to the worst. I seen a hen on it last week and I was so happy I just seen a bird on there. But opening day came around an nothing. I know there is a boat load of birds in barren just like everywhere. Just strange one spot goes from best to worst in just a few years. An nothing has changed.

10. redjackson

redjackson 6 pointer

Dec 4, 2010
    Barren County
    Just out of curiosity is it row cropped? My parents farm used to be the same way...had birds all over it with 6-7 jakes. The last 3-4 years its hasnt had many birds on it at all. The last few years alot of farmers around have been buying chicken litter and spreading it for fertilizer. Just curious if that has had an ill effect on birds or hatch rate...i have no proof that it even could just a thought.

11. hollandhunter

hollandhunter 12 pointer

Feb 11, 2008
    Holland Kentucky
    No but there is some row crops around it. Mostly hardwoods and small fields.i have no idea what has caused them to leave. It would be different if there were major changes in or around the area. But it is the same as its been for years and years.

12. kycoalminer40

kycoalminer40 Fawn

Apr 20, 2017
    harlan, ky
    in my area, they do alot of logging and when they start the birds leave and it take a two years or better to see birds again

13. Bee

Bee 8 pointer

Mar 14, 2005
    There are counties in south central Tennessee on the Alabama line that recently lost an estimated 90 % of their turkey populaton in a couple of years; TWRA never ID'd the issue but many locals suspect chicken manure bourne diseases.

As to area I Have hunted for fifteen straight seasons in Ky, there were three days of the five days there this year that I did not hear a single shot and was pretty much there 13 hours a day. Were three shots heard on opener, normal opening day is 12-15. The fields and cattle farms are easy to observe and the number of birds seen this year is 30% of normal. Something turkey-bad is going on there.

Jarhead likes this.
  14. mudhole crossing

mudhole crossing 10 pointer

Aug 20, 2007
    East ky
    That's a direct result where kdfw is dropping the rattlesnakes.

15. Jarhead

Jarhead 8 pointer

Feb 20, 2005
    Allen co. Ky.
    Is this farm in An area of Barren Co where the Amish communities are now? If so, that's probably one of the reasons. Have no idea what's happened to my turkeys.