g.p.s.

Discussion in 'General Hunting' started by DDMAN, Jul 31, 2003.

1. DDMAN

DDMAN 6 pointer

Jun 27, 2003
    KY
    HOW MANY PEOPLE USE A GPS? AND WHAT KIND ARE THEY? I HAVE A MEGELLAN 300, IT LOOKS GOOD BUT IS VERY USELESS AT THIS POINT ( I CANT SEEM TO WORK IT RIGHT) ANY HELP WOULD BE APPRECIATED.

THE MAIN THING A GREAT HUNTER TAKES TO THE WOODS, IS ETHICS

2. greenskeeter

greenskeeter Cyber-Hunter

Nov 3, 2002
    Bardstown, KY, USA.
    I use a Garmin GPSMap 76S and love it. Not difficult to use with a little practice. Don't wait until you're in the woods or on the water.

3. Ky Headhunter

Ky Headhunter 8 pointer

Dec 10, 2001
    Peach Grove, Ky, USA.
    I've got an older Magellan, Blazer12. Very simple to use (not many bells & whistles) & has always worked just fine. Never had a problem with it, knock on wood.

4. EC

EC 12 pointer

Jul 13, 2003
    Louisville, KY.
    The batteries last very long or do you turn it off until you need a "check" again. I don't have one, but considering one if I go somewhere I'm unfamilar.

5. Wildcat

Wildcat 12 pointer

Jan 7, 2002
    Ledbetter, Ky.
    I have a Garmin 76S also but damanged it and had to send it to the shop, I hope to get it back soon. Like Greenskeeter said, PRACTICE. I tell everyone that gets a new GPS to go somewhere that they know like the back of their hand and practic, practic and practic some more. This way you'll get the hang of it before hunting season.

I always keep two things in my truck, my binoculars and my GPS. I mark all the rubs, scrapes and beds I find while scouting then download them on my PC with topo software. I keep adding to those maps over the past 5 years and now I have some great maps of the places I hunt.

6. Strutter

Strutter Cyber-Hunter

Dec 9, 2001
    USA.
    I have a garmin e trex. The little yellow one. It has always worked great for what I use it for. Very simple to use too.

7. schuyler olt

schuyler olt 12 pointer

Dec 10, 2002
    I have a Garmin Plus II. I always carry it in unfamiliar territory, and it is always in the cockpit with me when I fly as a last resort navigational aid and altimeter if all else fails. All GPSs eat batteries, so I carry at least one extra set and often two sets. I also carry a compass to double check and to be able to navigate if the unit can't pick up the satellites. That can happen in a really dense forest canopy, or if you are in a deep hollow. I also like the feature of exact sunrise/sunset times for the precise location where I'm hunting. They seem complicated at first, but they're really pretty easy to use.

8. INKYHUNTER

INKYHUNTER Cyber-Hunter

Dec 10, 2001
    Bowling Green, KY, USA.
    For you guys that are practiced in GPS use. Can you identify property boundarys if you know a known point and the property has a survey platt.

9. schuyler olt

schuyler olt 12 pointer

Dec 10, 2002
    Yes, to a point. Remember there is a slight degree of inaccuracy in the GPS systems we use. It used to be a bunch, but since they deactivated a system (I don't remember the name), the inaccuracy is down to a few feet. However, surveyors are now using gps transoms, and I've seen plat maps that now include GPS coordinates.

You can use a topo map and a conversion scale to grid the topo to the degrees, minutes and seconds you will need. There is a datum--the World Geodesic System (WGS84) that will help immensely. I don't have a website for it, but I'm sure a search will locate it quickly.

Bottom line is that it is doable, but not real easy.

10. EC

EC 12 pointer

Jul 13, 2003
    Louisville, KY.
    Aren't they designed to be a bit unaccurate? Because of military reasons? Like I'm going to bracket in artillery fire...hahaha

11. Ky Headhunter

Ky Headhunter 8 pointer

Dec 10, 2001
    Peach Grove, Ky, USA.
    Selective Availability (the inaccuracy introduced to affect civilian gps receivers) is in mothballs. It can be re-introduced should the military/government see the need.
    Even with the SA degradation, never had a problem finding what I wanted (road, camp, truck, etc.) with my unit. Wouldn't have worked well to pinpoint a specific tree, and still can't, though it will put you pretty darn close.

12. EC

EC 12 pointer

Jul 13, 2003
    Louisville, KY.
    Everything you probably DIDN'T want to know about various GPS systems! Light reading on your days off! hahaha

http://gpsinformation.net/

13. Ky Headhunter

Ky Headhunter 8 pointer

Dec 10, 2001
    Peach Grove, Ky, USA.
    good stuff EC, thanks.

14. EC

EC 12 pointer

Jul 13, 2003
    Louisville, KY.
    Glad to accomodate! [;)]