Giant 8 pointers

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by kyepic16, Aug 10, 2017.

1. bondhu

bondhu 8 pointer

Jul 3, 2015
    Battle Run
    You are correct Mr. Lakosky ! Head gear like that I would shoot him with spots on and milk dripping from his chin!:p:D:p

gung, rockhousehunter and Tman6493 like this.
  2. 120+

120+ 12 pointer

Maybe there will come a day when I would take pause before shooting at that deer......but I highly doubt it.

Diamond island, xbokilla and bondhu like this.
  3. kyepic16

kyepic16 6 pointer

Jun 4, 2011
    I have a tough time aging deer in the early season. That being said, I'm shooting if I see him in range!

4. Mainbeam

Mainbeam 12 pointer

Jul 7, 2012
    Good luck on that bad boy. I wouldnt give his age an ounce of thought lol.

5. wademup

wademup 12 pointer

Feb 5, 2004
    benton, ky, USA.
    Same here, 3.5 year old deer with 150" of rack live on the Kisky farms but not much where I've hunted over my 40 years. I used to post a known mature deer on here every summer, and every year in the summer someone said he was going to be a monster when he matured. I had him on camera for 5 years and when he was killed last year a taxidermist who knows his stuff pretty well thought he was 4.5 tops, I know he was at least 6.5 and believe he was 7.5. Im shooting a 150 period, unless a 160 is following him of course.

6. Zforzachariah

Zforzachariah Spike

Jul 7, 2017
    East BumbleF
    That 8 pt is in the same league as this one killed last year. Netted 166 5/8. Would much rather kill a huge 8 pt that scores 150+ because that takes a lot of bone to do so.

Attached Files:

kyepic16, xbokilla and bondhu like this.
  7. EarlyBird1

EarlyBird1 8 pointer

Aug 4, 2014
    SouthCentral KY
    So let me get this straight... the way I want to do things is a joke but the way you want to go about your hunting is perfectly acceptable. Got it. I'll do my best to remember that.

8. EarlyBird1

EarlyBird1 8 pointer

Aug 4, 2014
    SouthCentral KY
    The reality is that a 150" 3.5 yr old 8 pt is going to be a very rare deer in Iowa or in KY so all this gnashing of teeth about a comment on age is a fairly moot point. I don't think anyone remotely suggested that the OPs deer is young or not a shooter. The point is that a 12 pt might very easily push 160" as a 3.5 yr old (probably far more likely than a 3.5 yr old 150" 8pt). So yes age is going to be what I am going to consider first in such a quandry and yes I'm going to pass on the 160" 12 pt if I think he's 3.5. Easy decision. I want to hunt and shoot the deer that I want to hunt and shoot and that means deer that I believe are mature enough to have reached a good representation of their potential. Everyone else should also hunt the way they want to hunt and apply their own standards.

buckfever likes this.
  9. wademup

wademup 12 pointer

Feb 5, 2004
    benton, ky, USA.
    Agreed, I just doubt you will ever actually see a 160" 3 year old, people simply misjudge age on this forum to make them the age they want them to be , kinda like the way they underscore others pics and overscore their own

10. bondhu

bondhu 8 pointer

Jul 3, 2015
    Battle Run
    EarlyBird1, dont lose sight that you replied to me and drug me into your venting. My First comment only meant that if a deer steps out with that bone I will not look at length of face, pot belly ,stubby legs I will only be praying I shoot straight. Hell for that matter I dont give damn if you said he was only 100 inch deer. He is getting shot at by me. You are very fortunate to have a place you can pass deer, good for you. As a matter of fact , Thank You for giving us less fortunate a chance at a good deer.

rockhousehunter likes this.
  11. EarlyBird1

EarlyBird1 8 pointer

Aug 4, 2014
    SouthCentral KY
    So you weren't replying to me when you said "depends on the age... yea right". Just because you didn't hit the reply button doesn't mean it wasn't directed at me since the OP nor anyone else had said anything about age except me even though I said absolutely nothing about the age of that particular deer. If your post truly wasn't a jab at me then I stand corrected and apologize for dragging you into further discussion about it. I have my doubts however.

12. 120+

120+ 12 pointer

The reality is, 99% of people who think they can age a deer are over estimating their abilities.

13. KYBOY

KYBOY 12 pointer

Apr 21, 2005
    Floyd,co..Kentucky
    It all comes back to shoot what you want, piss on what anyone else thinks.. Knock the spots right off bambi and Ill shake your hand and take the pic for ya'..
    That's a beast, good luck on that buck man.

14. bah1286

bah1286 6 pointer

Jul 29, 2014
    That buck is huge. I saw a 161" 8 point about 10 years ago that a guy I know killed. It was not near that tall or wide but just had the most mass of any deer I have seen killed around here. I don't know what that deer would score but I bet it's at least 160.

15. EarlyBird1

EarlyBird1 8 pointer

Aug 4, 2014
    SouthCentral KY
    Eh - Maybe. That's not really the point though is it. As I stated above I may be wrong on a deer's age. I may think a deer is older than 3.5 and shoot him and find out I was wrong. I may think a deer is too young and pass him. I may encounter a buck I am not familiar with and have to make a snap judgment in the field and make an incorrect judgment on that deer's age that leads me to pass him or shoot him even though I find out later that I was wrong. It doesn't matter. What matters is that I am attempting the age the deer and making my decision based upon what I think I should do. That is how I want to deer hunt. That is pretty simple I think and I believe that it is just as allowable as a person saying that they are going to shoot the first buck that turns them on without giving the first thought to his age. However you sure do see people who express sentiments like mine getting attacked on here a whole lot more than you ever see anyone getting chastised for saying they would shoot a young or smaller deer. That whole argument of "shoot what you want and piss on what anyone else thinks"... it works both ways.

Mxcmxc and biged57 like this.