Giant 8 pointers

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by kyepic16, Aug 10, 2017.

1. xbokilla

xbokilla 12 pointer

Jun 28, 2012
    I never see deer that big so I probably wouldn't shoot either as I would have either crapped my pants and got winded or fell after having a heart attack when either came through the woods. Good luck!

2. Tman6493

Tman6493 6 pointer

Oct 28, 2013
    Louisville
    If this buck goes 160"s your getting pretty close to state record 8pt so he won't be getting much bigger. I'm taking this deer over any deer in the state if I had a chance. His age won't matter to neighbors ehd or cars.

Mxcmxc, rutnbuk, kyepic16 and 2 others like this.
  3. Mainbeam

Mainbeam 12 pointer

Jul 7, 2012
    Hunters cant get along for shat lmao. It really doesnt matter what you shoot as long as you dont use a gun or crossbow.

bondhu, nock, xbokilla and 1 other person like this.
  4. BucksnBeards3

BucksnBeards3 6 pointer

Apr 9, 2014
    edmonson county
    Haha this might end up being a really long thread after "as long as you don't use a gun or bow"... Popcorn time!

bondhu likes this.
  5. nock

nock 12 pointer

Sep 9, 2012
    butler co
    Time to take it up a notch.

Mainbeam likes this.
  6. teach27

teach27 6 pointer

Aug 27, 2004
    Henderson, Ky, USA.
    Around ten years ago I saw the biggest 8 I've ever seen. Mass through his whole rack. At least 24" wide and 12"+ times. It was a true specimen. Watched him in my scope but didn't shoot since I had already used my buck tag. Otherwise he'd be on the wall.

7. Tman6493

Tman6493 6 pointer

Oct 28, 2013
    Louisville
    Hunted this guy the hole 2015 season. Never seen him. Passed at least 10 deer that would have been my personal best. Also I've never even taken a buck with a bow. I pretend to be a "Buck Commander" sometimes. Stopped in to see the neighbor at the end of 15' gun season and ask how he did. I showed him the picture of this buck and he informed me the guy across the street shot it from his front porch earlier in the morning.

Attached Files:

kyepic16 and bondhu like this.
  8. KYBOY

KYBOY 12 pointer

Apr 21, 2005
    Floyd,co..Kentucky
    Well of course it does. That's the beauty of not caring. It works for everyone. You will be much happier

9. 120+

120+ 12 pointer

Actually it is the point. This crap of "don't shoot him because he's 2.5 or 3.5" is comical because most people saying that don't know their butt from a hole in the ground.
    Plus, from everything I've read has not shown any benefit from only shooting "older bucks" or even the over used "management buck".
    Hunting for some has become "growing deer". If you are going to do that then just put up a high fence and be done with it.
    Hunting is going out with friends and family,having fun, and making memories to most.
    I don't normally fill my buck tag unless I see a 120+ deer. Partly because I don't want to shoot a small buck but mainly because I don't want my season and weekends with family to end. When I kill a buck early I'm always a little sad because I enjoy the journey more than the destination.

10. 120+

120+ 12 pointer

Nice. We have a similar wide buck from last year that we hope has made it another year.

11. xilk123

xilk123 6 pointer

Oct 7, 2011
    clay co
    That deer is getting shot regardless of age. That is a hoss of a deer, can hunt your whole life and never see a 8 point that size, and I thought my little ol 8 pointer from 2015 was big lol big 8.jpg big 8.jpg

kyepic16 likes this.
  12. EarlyBird1

EarlyBird1 8 pointer

Aug 4, 2014
    SouthCentral KY
    Surely you don't actually believe that even the average hunter can't tell the difference between 2 and 3 year old deer and 5 and 6 year old deer. And the benefit of shooting older bucks is that you are shooting older bucks. If that isn't what you care about then great but if other people enjoy it a different way then who the hell are you to tell someone else how to hunt. It absolutely hilarious that the self proclaimed "do what makes you happy" crowd are precisely the ones that are telling others how to act and what to think. It should come as no surprise that this board is absolutely dead with the self anointed "old school" posse sitting at the ready to attack anyone who isn't "hunting for meat and just tickled pink with a basket 8". All viewpoints are valid as long as they agree with yours. Amirite?

13. kyepic16

kyepic16 6 pointer

Jun 4, 2011
    Aging deer from 1-3 years old isn't too difficult MOST of the time. But 90% of the time your going to be flat out guessing if you think you can age a deer on the hoof at being 5 or 6. The "average hunter" usually doesn't know diddly squat about aging deer.

14. 120+

120+ 12 pointer

Actually I do believe that. That's why I commented in the first place. I find it very funny that biologists say there's no real way to tell a deer's age without examining teeth wear but someone will look at a couple of pictures and say they know how old a deer is.
    I guess I'm a little slow, how is it beneficial to shoot an older buck if he is smaller than the younger one standing next to him? Are you hunting for meat or horn? Either way you lose.
    I'm not telling anyone how they should hunt. I couldn't care less. I just don't believe you can look at a photo or a passing glimpse of a deer and know how old it is unless you have pictures of it over the years and know it's at least a certain age.
    Don't believe all of these tv hunters with their batman blackened faces. They can always justify why they just shot a deer, mainly because it gave them an opportunity while the camera was in place.

iwuvhunting likes this.
  15. Muzzy Moment

Muzzy Moment 6 pointer

Sep 8, 2011
    Eastern KY
    if it's the size buck I am looking for age means nothing. Granted most of the time the size buck I want to harvest is probably mature, but I'm not passing up a 140" deer because he is 3.5. Once I see a deer I think is a shooter I get in him and pull the trigger or let the arrow fly. I don't think I have ever looked at a deer in the field while hunting and tried to age him. Now if it's a deer you have had the deer on trail cam and recognize the deer then maybe. But I have also killed deer with a rifle that I just have a couple seconds to shoot and when I get to em I realize it's one I have had on cam.

I read in an old hunting magazine that the Hanson buck was no more than 4 years old. I guess Milo should have let him live a few more years.

120+ likes this.