Giant 8 pointers

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by kyepic16, Aug 10, 2017.

1. 120+

120+ 12 pointer

Great post. In most situations there is very little time to do anything except get ready for the shot. That's why I normally stop carrying my go pro about half way through the season. I get tired of screwing with it. Takes away from the enjoyment sometimes.

Muzzy Moment likes this.
  2. 120+

120+ 12 pointer

Maybe if we get some makeup and paint our face we can do better.

3. Tman6493

Tman6493 6 pointer

Oct 28, 2013
    Louisville
    Dang go pro. Had a tom sneak in last turkey season and I was trying to make sure my GoPro was recording and got busted.

Also I use it when I'm fishing weather it's for fun or in a tournament. Camera died while I was at Nolin a couple weeks ago in the middle of a tournament and 2 minutes after it died a caught a 6 pounder. Felt good weighing in and showing it off but man I would have loved to had my reaction to catching that pig.

It definitely takes away the relaxation of recreation when your trying to film stuff or get caught up in judging every little thing.

4. JDMiller

JDMiller 12 pointer

Jun 12, 2005
    " Between the Rivers "
    On our place there's only two classes of bucks.... passers and shooters.

Life is much simpler that way...lol.

5. rutnbuk

rutnbuk Fawn

Jul 11, 2017
    Mayseville
    Yep! You can let them walk all you want but you can't keep that deer from crossing a street, or crossing a fence. It sucks but, there is always next year.

6. Ginsenghunter

Ginsenghunter 10 pointer

Jul 5, 2010
    On the line
    EarlyBird1 we hunt alike. Here is a scenario from last year. I had this 10 at 12 yds. Could have killed him for 15 minutes. I didn't. He is 4 yrs old. I want him breeding does in my area. He can't do that in the freezer. Will he breed good does, bad does, is he gay, I don't know. The 1 thing I can control is whether he is walking away from me and I did my part. I was waiting on the big 10 pictured. My partner killed him, he was 5+ and scored 171". I killed the 8 pictured last. He was 7 or 8 years old and the farm bully. Once he hit the field the other bucks fled, even really big racked bucks. He is a buck I DON'T want breeding anything in the area. I controlled that part. He doesn't score much but how many people get to shoot a buck who outsmarted man for so long? I don't care what people shoot, it just pisses me off when people say the way I hunt is scientifically unproven. Guess what? IDGAF! It is how I hunt! I didn't ask for anyone to accept it. The buffoons worrying about cars and mother nature killing a passed deer must wear helmets and bullet proof vests when they leave the house.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 13, 2017 at 8:02 AM
  7. wademup

wademup 12 pointer

Feb 5, 2004
    benton, ky, USA.
    Same here, I rarely kill a buck because I'm only looking for a biggun, rack that is

8. wademup

wademup 12 pointer

Feb 5, 2004
    benton, ky, USA.
    Science though says at 7 or 8 he probably rarely breeds anything, he is an 80 year old man, probably doesn't matter if you kill him or not from a herd standpoint. In a wild herd pass or shoot would have to happen early in life or the damage is done. In a pen they prevent deer from breeding until they know what they are, that's impossible in a wild herd. I'm all for " QDM" if people want but those who say more people are attacked on here for doing it than shooting any buck dont pay attention. I hear " should've let him go a year" far more than " should've killed him at 3.5 "

9. KYhunter

KYhunter Cyber-Hunter

Dec 9, 2001
    I am the one doing the work. I am the one buying the tag. Why try to take all the fun out of things? You worry about you and yours and I'll worry about me and mine. Try that and more might have a more enjoyable time afield.

10. Ginsenghunter

Ginsenghunter 10 pointer

Jul 5, 2010
    On the line
    I saw him breed a doe before I got a shot on him. He was running the doe when I shot him. Please refrain from your hypotheticals.

11. wademup

wademup 12 pointer

Feb 5, 2004
    benton, ky, USA.
    And he has for 8 years but you fixed that problem, cheers to you for saving is from inferiority !!

12. EarlyBird1

EarlyBird1 8 pointer

Aug 4, 2014
    SouthCentral KY
    We must be looking at a different board. I don't know what has happened in the past but since I've been frequenting this board I have seen far more negativity and attacks toward people who say anything about Mgmt deer or passing younger deer or aging deer than I have seen posts where someone actually told another person that they shouldn't have shot a deer or should pass a deer that they say they will shoot. What I see most often is a person talks about what they would pass or what they think a deer will age and then they are attacked as though they tried to force that way of thinking on other people. They mention how they think they should hunt and then others come in to tell them how stupid they are because they can't possibly guess age 100% of the time so why even try. They can't control genetics in a wild herd so they are dumb to pass a 130" 10 pt and shoot a 8 they think is older that won't get any better because they want to see what that 130" 10 pt will do next year. How it's stupid to pass a nice buck because you can't keep the same bucks year over year. There seems to be some perception that a person who hunts this way is in anguish over a decision to pass a 140" 10 pt that he thinks will get better. It's easy and very comfortable for some but evidently is inconceivable to others. It's like "I can't drive a stick shift therefore it must follow that a stick shift isn't a car".

Like JD said "we have passers and we have shooters" it's that simple. It's all in how you want to decide what a shooter is if you get any opportunity to judge before the decision has to be made. If you have to make it on the fly then you just do your best and live with your decision and enjoy the opportunity to be blessed enough to have been given a chance to make the decision. It is hunting either way and if you enjoy the way you are doing it then it is no one else's business.

The premise of the original post (long since lost in all this gnashing of teeth) was a question posed to the forum asking us what WE preferred between a 150" 8 and a 160" 12. The OP then added a picture of a giant 8 presumably as an example of a 150" 8. At no point did anyone do anything but gush over that huge 8 and say how they'd love to get one like that. At no point did anyone ever say that the OP or anyone else should worry about the age of that deer or any other deer for that matter. At no point did anyone ever even mention the age of that deer as being a question.... and yet here we are. A person can give their opinion as long as its an acceptable one and doesn't wander anywhere near the taboo subjects established by the self appointed board police.

In the end it's just the same drivel different day.

kyepic16 likes this.
  13. Tman6493

Tman6493 6 pointer

Oct 28, 2013
    Louisville

I am about to have to put a helmet on if these pop up ads keep driving me crazy. Gzzzzzzz.

Ginseng if you have gay bucks you need to get that gene out asap. I wouldn't let any of them walk. Next thing you know your deer will be protesting for equal rights

cedar ridge likes this.
  14. Feedman

Feedman Cyber-Hunter

May 28, 2003
    In the basement
    Buck an Breast are a lot alike. Which everyone tickles your fancy. They both change over time but as long as you enjoy them. Have at em

cedar ridge and kyepic16 like this.
  15. Cornpile

Cornpile 12 pointer

Dec 1, 2006
    Kornfield County,KY
    Nailed it.......

kyepic16 likes this.