Ginseng

Discussion in 'General Hunting' started by mudhole crossing, Sep 19, 2018.

1. mudhole crossing

mudhole crossing 12 pointer

Aug 20, 2007
    East ky
    any word on dried seng prices in anybody's area? Starting out $500 here in mine; up $100 from last yrs start. Been too hot and muggy for diggers imo. It has for me anyway.

2. Strutter

Strutter Cyber-Hunter

Dec 9, 2001
    USA.
    Guy I work with said a buyer in Jackson county was paying 750.00 a dry lb.

3. T-wil69

T-wil69 8 pointer

Jan 16, 2015
    How I the world do people find enough of it to make good money, I’ve looked a couple years and have only found a handful of plants mature enough to dig, talked to some old timers that said they find between 5-10 lbs dried a year and I just don’t see how

Dark Cloud likes this.
  4. BigPete

BigPete 10 pointer

Sep 7, 2007
    Whitesburg, KY
    Your either just not seeing them or your not looking in a place that has Ginseng.

For years and years me and my FIL has planted the berries and pinched off the plant of probably 275-300 plants in one holler, we say every year that times may get bad and we may need to "cash in" our crop soon.

5. Dark Cloud

Dark Cloud 10 pointer

Aug 14, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    I’ve not dug a pound or two in my life,I don’t go out and look much anymore either.Lot of early digging goes on ,around here I think.

6. FOWLER2671

FOWLER2671 12 pointer

Sep 11, 2009
    Evicted from Aintry'
    When I was 16 we had a fur buyers wife who lived about a mile down the road. Her husband had passed and she quit buying furs but not ginseng ....

I thought I had found the motherload and probably had 10 pounds of fresh dug root..... I couldn't wait to let it dry so I hauled it up to her place.. She took one look and said I don't know what that is but it's not ginseng!!!

I was so dang mad I tossed it out the window on the way home!

I have a pretty sharp eye for certain things like stray decoys or deer in the woods while driving but ginseng and Morel mushrooms are two things that have eluded me!

7. bigbonner

bigbonner 8 pointer

Aug 5, 2015
    I would like to get some wild seeds or roots to plant on my farm to get ginseng started.

8. Dark Cloud

Dark Cloud 10 pointer

Aug 14, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    That would be disappointing

9. Big_Steve

Big_Steve Spike

Aug 21, 2007
    Richmond, Ky
    My dad researched it for a while, and he said that according to everything he learned it is nearly impossible. Apparently, the conditions for it to either grow or die off is extremely small differences. Apparently, they have been trying for years to cultivate it, and can't make it work. That is why the wild root still sells so high.

10. Big_Steve

Big_Steve Spike

Aug 21, 2007
    Richmond, Ky
    I have been hunting it for 27 years now. My dad was a logger, and he could spot it from the other side of a field, it was crazy.

I don't do a lot of dedicated senging, just dig it when I hunt and hike during the season. I'd say in my life I have dug less than 5 dry pounds of stuff. A lot of people dig it early and did it young as well. Last year I would a 4 prong with it berries still attached, and several small 2 prongs lying next to a 4-wheeler trail. Just wasteful. Especially considering those little 2 prongs would barely have a root at all.

Once the meth heads learned that they can dig a root and trade it for meth, it really hurt the entire industry, and especially the ginseng crop. I just sell my 6-8 oz a year and use it to buy ammo or something.

11. Dark Cloud

Dark Cloud 10 pointer

Aug 14, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    Reality tv shows ruined ginseng hunting,a lot of people dig early,and any size they find,thinking they’re going to get a big payday.It takes a lot to make a pound.

Paul Priest likes this.
  12. T-wil69

T-wil69 8 pointer

Jan 16, 2015
    I thought I read somewhere that you can tell how old a plant is by the root and buyers wouldn’t buy unless it was old enough?

13. Dark Cloud

Dark Cloud 10 pointer

Aug 14, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    That’s the way it’s suppose to be,it could be now,I haven’t dug or sold any in three or four years,I’ve seen some small roots sold before though

14. jblack1

jblack1 10 pointer

Dec 13, 2005
    Science Hill

Contact Billy Taylor in Ky. He's licensed to help you out.
    http://taylorsginseng.com/?page_id=657

Dark Cloud likes this.
  15. mountain hunter

mountain hunter Spike

Jan 17, 2010
    Bell County Ky
    I agree the reality TV series is far from reality. Digging early also eliminates any chance for that plant to produce seed and reseed it self. I have been around the business a long time and never seen anything close to what they were saying on TV. Good luck to those out searching for "Sang" this year.

Dark Cloud likes this.