Going on vacation and.....

Discussion in 'General Hunting' started by rockhousehunter, May 28, 2017.

1. rockhousehunter

rockhousehunter 6 pointer

Oct 18, 2013
    West Liberty, Ky
    need a good book to read on deer or turkey hunting or both. I don't read much except magazines that I subscribe to like deer and deer hunting and turkey and turkey hunting. Is there something out there I can read that you guys enjoyed? Thanks.

2. xbokilla

xbokilla 12 pointer

Jun 28, 2012
    Not sure if your the religious type but my wife bought me a book full of short stories a few years back called "I'd Rather Be Hunting." Guy takes his different hunting experiences and relates to bible teachings and messages. Good, meaningful and easy read.

rockhousehunter likes this.
  3. KYhunter

KYhunter Cyber-Hunter

Dec 9, 2001
    2nd what xbokilla posted. Two books by Roger Rothaar are fun and informative. "Whitetail Magic" and "Bowhunting Rutting Whiteails".

4. ARCVETLLC

ARCVETLLC Fawn

Dec 22, 2016
    Easy read on hunting and fishing that can buy on Amazon in paperback, Kindle or even audio book https://www.amazon.com/Reflections-...d=1496069170&sr=8-2&keywords=kevin+lee+mciver

5. luvtohunt

luvtohunt 8 pointer

Sep 1, 2011
    Eubank, Ky
    Like you I am not a reader but years ago Ky Afield did a segment on a book called Cogan's Woods. Can't remember the author but think he was a local fellow. It's not about deer hunting but its about hunting and the camaraderie gained between a father and son that only the woods can give you. Its a good read and I recommend it to anyone!!

6. rockhousehunter

rockhousehunter 6 pointer

Oct 18, 2013
    West Liberty, Ky
    Thanks fellers, I appreciate the recommendations. I just ordered I'd rather be Hunting. I may get the other ones also.

7. richief

richief 10 pointer

Jun 20, 2012
    down a holler SE KY
  8. TPHunt2Eat

TPHunt2Eat Fawn

Jun 22, 2017
    Morehead, KY
    I just finished "Meat Eater" by Steven Rinella and it was a great book. Not necessarily about deer or turkey but about hunting in general. Great read and hard to put down.

9. KY Swamp Beagler

KY Swamp Beagler 10 pointer

Feb 20, 2011
    the swamps of Western KY
    My suggestions aren't all turkey and deer, but are great books. I read a bunch and these are some of the best I've read.

I found this book a few days ago. I haven't read it and it's expensive, but looks like a good one. http://www.wildriverpress.com/product/turkey-men-volume-1/

The Tenth Legion by Tom Kelly (turkey hunting)
    Beyond Fair Chase by Jim Posewitz (should be required reading for all hunters)
    Inherit the Hunt by Jim Posewitz
    Hemingway on Hunting
    Honest Essays on Bloodsport
    The Old Man and the Boy by Robert Ruark
    The Old Man's Boy Grows Older by Robert Ruark
    Robert Ruark the Lost Classics
    Peter Hathaway Capstick books (African hunting, adventure packed)

I second the suggestion of Rinella's Meateater book and would also recommend his American Buffalo book. I really enjoyed it.