greenhorn needs encouragement!

Discussion in 'General Hunting' started by jemidawes, Oct 27, 2003.

1. jemidawes

jemidawes Spike

Jan 13, 2003
    I'm 38 years old, and never hunted in my life until the spring turkey season of 2002. I hunted at the Taylorsville WMA at Briar Ridge, to no avail.
    There were so many Hunter's the turkey were laughing at us!
    I found I loved the challenge even though no harvest. I went with a experienced Deer hunter, but he was a "deer Hunter, not a Turkey Hunter.
    I went in december of that year also on a property that had turkey on it daily. The snow that was on the ground must have change their pattern. No turkey either day I went. I did see a doe!

I went Turkey hunting this spring, And had work on calling 'till my wife and kids could call decent by voice! I called in many turkeys, all hens with no beards. I had many gobbles, and thought I was going to get Lucky several times to no avail. I went with an experienced turkey hunter a couple of times, but the tom seemed to always hang up.

I have permission to hunt a 500 acre farm in spencer county with many Deer, and turkey. I'm alone now except for the occasional partner.
    I love to hunt still, but it would be awesome to harvest something!

I went muzzleloading a couple of saturdays ago, seen 4 turkey's I could have touched. No deer. Last sat, I went turkey hunting, and saw a nice 8 pointer within 40 yards in the same setup!
    I'd hunt every weekend if I could.
    Has anyone else taken a couple, or so years to0 have success?

Any recommendations, or comments would be appreciated, Mike

2. GSP

GSP 14 Pointer Staff Member

Dec 12, 2001
    Montrose
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Has anyone else taken a couple, or so years to0 have success?
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
    [:D][:D][:D][:D][:D][:D][:D][:D][:D][:D][:D][:D][:D][:D][:D][:D][:D]

JD, If anyone gets on here and says they went out by themselves, first time, no experiance at all and killed a turkey AND they do not give some due credit to beginners luck???????[?][?] Wellllll, I don't know.

Seems to me you have come a long way. Stay with it!

3. .300Savage

.300Savage 6 pointer

Mike,
    It's all a matter of being at the right place at the right time. I think that hunting (deer and turkey) is 20% skill and 80% luck. If you know the deer and turkey frequent the area, you are bound to "run in to each other" eventually. I hunted for 2 years before I even saw a deer (of course I never bothered with scen concealment at the time either). I also called to turkeys for 4 years before I got one to come close enough to shoot it. Some people get lucky and kill the buck or turkey of a lifetime the 1st time out, but I think that spoils a hunter and they expect that every time out. I consider any day out in the woods, that I see game, a great day. Once you get that 1st harvest, it will break the ice, and will seem a lot easier to get another. Any time you can get within shooting distance of any game, I would conside that a success. Good luck, and I'll help you out all I can.

Rocco

4. aceoky

aceoky 12 pointer

Jul 14, 2003
    The Tin Foil Mansion
    I agree 100% with both gsp and 300Savage! You've come a long way in such a short time(and the luck thing read below)[:D]....don't give up it will happen and you'll be glad you didn't "give up". There are many great people/hunters here, that I'm certain will help you in every way they can....so ask away on what you're unsure about or for any advice you need.

<hr noshade size="1">
    I'd rather be lucky than good any day!!

Reloaders Haul Brass!

5. MRDUKS

MRDUKS 6 pointer

Jun 14, 2003
    MIDDLEBURG, KY, USA.
    I went many years before my first deer a lot was inexperience some of it was not many deer. I got a turkey my first time out 15 minutes after daylight in a area I had never been in before till that morning. Talk about luck now that was luck. I went 3 years after that before getting another turkey. Just hang in there It will happen and it will be well worth the wait . GOOD LUCK

6. jemidawes

jemidawes Spike

Jan 13, 2003
    thanks for the encouragement. I never give up usually (which is bad at times). I hope to get the 8 pointer, or even a doe on opening morning. Any advice is, and will be appreciated.
    Thanks, Mike

7. polcat

polcat 6 pointer

Aug 5, 2003
    corbin, ky, USA.
    it is sometimes hard to learn on your own....if i lived a little closer id come by and give ou a hand,im not a great turkey hunter or deer hunter i do so love to hunt them....dont give up...feel free to email me i try my best to help u out...

The more i learn about deer hunting...The less i seem to know

8. Big58cal

Big58cal 10 pointer

Dec 10, 2001
    KY
    Don't give up on the hunting. It took me 7 years to get a turkey. The first one I got, I had to ambush! I had been playing cat and mouse with him and another for 3 days. Never called to him that morning and he never knew I was there. That was last year. This year, I got 2 in 2 days. It just takes time.

9. kyhuntsman

kyhuntsman 6 pointer

Nov 26, 2002
    Mike,

It sounds like you are doing everything right, it just takes time. Don't get discouraged! Take it easy and continue hunting. If possible, find someone that is an experienced hunter and see if you can go hunting with them. Or, take them out to dinner and pick their brain. It's amazing what you can learn by just sitting still and listening to experienced people.

Matt

10. jemidawes

jemidawes Spike

Jan 13, 2003
    Thanks for the encouragement! I hope to be posting a harvest this fall. Good luck to all!
    Later, Mike

11. newby

newby Fawn

Jemi,
    Patience is the only thing I can suggest. Your story sounds very similar to my own, be patient and you will be rewarded! I too agree with 300savage!

Keep on keepin' on!

12. CPA Hunter

CPA Hunter 8 pointer

Dec 10, 2001
    Jemi, man that sounds like me. I went years before my first bow and gun deer but after the first I’ve had opportunities each and every year. Same thing with turkeys – it took 3 years for that first longbeard. Now I hunt several states for turkeys and fill most if not all of my tags each year. There is some skill to this game, but luck don’t hurt. Good luck, and I’ll personally look forward to your post of that first one!! Go get em!!!!