Grizzly Bear Attack

Discussion in 'General Hunting' started by EC, May 1, 2017.

1. EdLongshanks

EdLongshanks 12 pointer

Nov 16, 2013
    Northern Kentucky
    In the heat of the moment I might very well miss...but I'd be unloading the gun right up until she took her first bite.

2. nock

nock 12 pointer

Sep 9, 2012
    butler co
    I'd be letting that 44 mag say hey bear.

JR in KY likes this.
  3. reivertom

reivertom 12 pointer

Dec 17, 2007
    Greenup Co.
    I'd rather see orphaned bear cubs than see my own kids orphaned.

bdbrown66, predator1, EC and 3 others like this.
  4. KYBOY

KYBOY 12 pointer

Apr 21, 2005
    Floyd,co..Kentucky
    Glad the man is ok, really but I be damned if I reach for spray over my gun..Ive seen humans that pepper spray could not take down..I dang sure would not trust it on a half ton killing machine.

predator1 and nock like this.
  5. timer

timer 6 pointer

Feb 20, 2013
    La Grange
    I talked with a guide in Alaska several years ago and asked him about the effectiveness of a .44 mag for a charging brown (grizzly) bear. He told me that the only effective shot with a pistol against a charging bear was "the elbow shot." He said an elbow shot is when you hold out your arm straight in front of you and point the pistol at the bear. When you feel the bear biting down on your elbow, pull the trigger as many times as you can.

6. EdLongshanks

EdLongshanks 12 pointer

Nov 16, 2013
    Northern Kentucky
    I understand what you are saying, but I'd still rather have a .32 than a can of hot sauce. I might be completely stupid, but that's how I fell.

predator1 likes this.
  7. Farrier85

Farrier85 10 pointer

Oct 29, 2015
    For sure I'd unload
    Before he bit me

predator1 likes this.
  8. Feedman

Feedman Cyber-Hunter

May 28, 2003
    In the basement
    You have about as much luck trying to fight one with a baccer stick than pepper spray if they are charging. Doesn't make any sense why he did not use the pistol.

predator1 likes this.
  9. predator1

predator1 10 pointer

Dec 25, 2008
    Glasgow,Ky
    Yea, I just don't believe I would ever pack pepper spray. Only thing I'd be spraying is bullets!

10. predator1

predator1 10 pointer

Dec 25, 2008
    Glasgow,Ky
    I understand the concept, not sure I like that idea. I'm certain I'd at least try to put a few rounds in it before I inserted my elbow!

11. Drahts

Drahts 6 pointer

Apr 7, 2015
    KY
    I've been way to close to several Griz elk hunting and it ain't fun, but never had a charge. But if one did I'd draw the firearm and put it down or literally die trying! Here is a British Columbia Park sign for real!

[​IMG]

Feedman, timer and nock like this.
  12. EC

EC 12 pointer

Jul 13, 2003
    Louisville, KY.
    LOLOLOL!!

13. Farrier85

Farrier85 10 pointer

Oct 29, 2015
    That
    thats awesome

14. WaterDog88

WaterDog88 10 pointer

Jul 28, 2008
    Kentucky
    I had a guide in Montana tell me something very similar. The three times I've fished in back country around bears I carried spray. Honestly I have never been nervous and wore bells on my pack or tied coffee tins together so I made plenty of noise while hiking in. I'll be heading back next year for two weeks in Colorado back country. The only bear attack I have been close to was while I was passing through Teton and a father and daughter got mauled on a trail. I think they both lived.

15. timer

timer 6 pointer

Feb 20, 2013
    La Grange
    A few days before I visited Denali National Park last year, someone took off their backpack and threw it at a brown bear. Bears are quite clever and learn very quickly. This bear learned that there are edible goodies in backpacks, so....he then went on a mission to collect as many backpacks as he could. He got one the day before I arrived. The second day I was there the bear mauled someone....just a couple of scratches until she gave up her backpack. The attack occurred close to a campground at the entrance to the park - it caused quite the commotion. We talked with the rangers and asked if the bear would be relocated....He told us that there is no money in the budget for relocation. The bear would have to be put down.

As a precaution, they closed all campgrounds to tent campers. Campers in metal sided trailers were warned to not sit outside and no fires/grills were allowed. Everyone was warned. You couldn't help looking over your shoulder - even in areas where there were lots of people.

They never did get the bear while we were there. I looked on the internet after we got home and there were still warnings and the campgrounds were still closed to tents.

While visiting Sitka a few years before, I talked with a deer hunter who told me that the bears in that area had learned that the sound of a gunshot usually meant a wounded or killed deer. He said that you better get your deer and get out of the area quickly after taking a shot or bears would come and take your deer away from you.