Gun Safe Question: Best Way To Reinforce My Floor

Discussion in 'Community Forum' started by Bray, Dec 9, 2012.

1. Bray

Bray 10 pointer

Jan 29, 2002
    The Interwebs
    Originally I had planned on getting a cheap Fatboy Jr and sticking it out in the garage. However this weekend when I went to buy my safe I came across a heck of a deal that I couldn't turn down. I got a lot nicer safe (Liberty Franklin 50) and now want to put it in the house. Trouble is it weighs almost 1100 pounds and I feel the need to reinforce the floor. I plan on putting it on an outside wall and don't really know the best way to reinforce the floor. I thought about doubling up the floor joists it's going to span and then putting 2x12s perpendicular to those floor joists. Any other suggestions. Surely someone else on here has experience with a big safe.

2. pentail

pentail Bacon Staff Member

Sep 25, 2002
    Savoring the smoke
    Basement or crawl space?

3. NonTyp

NonTyp 12 pointer

Apr 9, 2006
    Horntown
    If I was going to put a gunsafe over a crawl space I would add a pier under the floor to support the floor joists that would no doubt sag with the weight of the safe on them. The back of the safe will be fine, given it is against the wall. The joist ends will be setting on the foundation. I would put the pier under the front of the safe where the floor joists will sag down.

4. Bray

Bray 10 pointer

Jan 29, 2002
    The Interwebs
    It's a crawl space.

5. smashdn

smashdn 12 pointer

Nov 24, 2003
    Palmyra, Kentucky
    Add a pier as was suggested.

6. pentail

pentail Bacon Staff Member

Sep 25, 2002
    Savoring the smoke
    Yep, one for each joist if you are feeling real froggy. Make sure they have a good solid base to sit on

7. trust me

trust me Troubled Loner

Nov 27, 2004
    Jerkwater, KY
    Pier, as above. Do it before installation, not after.

8. They make an adjustable pier you can lower/raise with a turn. The important consideration is the length of the span of the joists. If you place you safe next to a supported wall -- better still a corner with 2 supported walls -- I don't see a problem. I mean, I'd be more concerned about the joists weight holding capacity if I were hosting a wing ding than a gun safe.:D

9. trust me

trust me Troubled Loner

Nov 27, 2004
    Jerkwater, KY
    I resent your implication, sir.

10. Strutter

Strutter Cyber-Hunter

Dec 9, 2001
    USA.
    Where did you find a deal on one if you don't mind saying?

11. Bray

Bray 10 pointer

Jan 29, 2002
    The Interwebs
    I had to go to Ashland this past weekend to visit my wifes family. Borders sporting goods was the name of the place. I have looked off and on around here for one but everyone wanted retail for them. Now that the baby is getting ready to crawl I really felt the need to get one. The model I got was marked down quite a bit and I paid cash. They threw in a couple extra goodies and it had a rebate. My father in law is going to bring it with him as he comes down later this week so I have a couple days to get everything lined out.

12. reivertom

reivertom 12 pointer

Dec 17, 2007
    Greenup Co.
    I too bought one of the same safes from the same folks about 12 years ago. If your house is well made with 2x12 joists the right distances apart, you should have no problems with your floor. The company says due to the fact that they sit flat on the floor and aren't on small legs like appliances, they don't put any more strain on the floor that the appliances, such as a large fridge does. I have mine in a closet sitting on a regular wood floor with no problems. I ran bolts into the floor to make it so that thugs couldn't easily rock it back and forth to turn it over. If you are in a 150 year old house with spongy floors you will need a brace of two under it. My neighbors have a house like that, and it would definitely need some floor jacks and 4x4 bracing. My $.02

PS....If you have hardwood floors that are shiney, you can push these safes around really easy (for a safe), if you have some pieces of old carpet. You just spray the old carpet with some furniture wax like Pledge and turn it upside down under the safe. When you get it close to where you need it, you just rock it off of the carpet while stepping on the edge. This worked really well when I helped my buddy move his safe into his house. You might not even need the pledge if your floors are slick.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2012
  13. NonTyp

NonTyp 12 pointer

Apr 9, 2006
    Horntown
    Unless you get into some wide spans,over 16', more than likely the floor joists will be 2x10 on 16" centers. Given the house is somewhat modern.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2012
  14. bigrw

bigrw Spike

Nov 12, 2012
    Canoe Creek
    As mentioned before be sure to secure it to the floor. My uncle passed away and while we were at the funeral or while the house was emty some thugs broke it flipped his safe on its side and used a sawsall to cut the bottom out and shake everything out. A tip for moving the safe, i had a buddy tell me that when his was delivered a single feller showed up with a bag of golfballs, put them under the safe and rolled right into position. I had never thought of that, I used cold roll steel to roll mine around on. Mine is setting on a concrete slab and I hammer drilled holes and dropped in female anchors to bolt mine down. Good luck to with your new investment.

15. Bray

Bray 10 pointer

Jan 29, 2002
    The Interwebs
    I took a day off work and hunted this morning and secured the floor this afternoon. I ended up nailing some 2x10s perpendicular to my floor joists about 4 inches inside where the outer edges of the safe will sit. Then I installed 2 4x4 posts where the bridged floor joists met and secured everything with some metal brackets. I sat the posts on those concrete dek anchors. I ended up going overboard but only had 30 dollars in the project. Now that all is said and done I feel confident I could park a Semi on it and nothing would give. The real fun starts tomorrow night when we unload the beast. I've got a buddy with a pallet jack, hopefully that will make everything go smooth.