Gun safe question

Discussion in 'Modern Firearms' started by StateBear257, Nov 20, 2017.

1. gds

gds 6 pointer

Jan 2, 2005
    NORTHERN KY.
    There Is not a gun safe made that a determined thief can not get into. Along with a fire rating ( which is the most important ) just look for the features that you want in a safe . I agree with the suggestion of buying a safe that is twice as big as you think you need . We all run out of space sooner than you think . In the event of a failure of a fire rated safe in a fire the safe company will replace the safe , not the contents .A friend had this happen in the Pigeon Forge fire, boy was he surprised . The safe fell through the floor into the basement and every thing in it was destroyed. A LIBERTY safe .

2. reivertom

reivertom 12 pointer

Dec 17, 2007
    Greenup Co.
    No safe is 100% secure, but I wouldn't be without one after having one for 20 years. Around here the MO of the drug scum is to kick in a door and ransack your house and get out quick. If a scumbag wants my stuff, they will need to come prepared with the right tools and plenty of time. I suggest 2 things.....Get a safe at least one size bigger than you think you need, and get one with a combination dial. This purchase is for the long haul and you don't need something that needs batteries every so often. I know that no matter how long I neglect my safe, the combo dial will always work.

KY Swamp Beagler likes this.
  3. ptbrauch

ptbrauch 12 pointer

Nov 10, 2004
    J-Town
    What's everyone's thoughts on a safe room?

4. bondhu

bondhu 10 pointer

Jul 3, 2015
    Battle Run
    Not real familiar with them I know California and New York had them set up at different colleges to help after the last Presidential election :) Now if were still talking guns wife's uncle is building a house with concrete walls.
    One of the rooms will be a safe. I think they made the door in Lexington or there about.

cedar ridge likes this.
  5. I need a safe,did not know it would be difficult picking one.They are exspensive it seems for a decent one

6. EdLongshanks

EdLongshanks 12 pointer

Nov 16, 2013
    Northern Kentucky
    I love the idea. I have a suspended slab and open room underneath my front porch in the basement. The idea of putting a vault door on it is very appealing.

7. cedar ridge

cedar ridge Spike

Dec 3, 2015
    South Central KY
    Go with Liberty or Champion and you won’t be disappointed.

8. Brsutton86

Brsutton86 12 pointer

Sep 19, 2009
    Harrodsburg, KY
    I have a safe room also. Spray foam insulated the ceiling and walls down 40" from roof. Stays around 65 or so year round. I have the big silica bags you can throw in the oven to get the moisture out and throw them back In.

I have a Browning safe. I always try to buy made in USA. I love the safe, wish I bought bigger. Scoped rifles really take up room. I figure a safe is a one time investment, buy once cry once. There's a company that has great deals setup at the national farm machinery show in Louisville which is coming up. Don't recall the brand.

9. SmokeShow

SmokeShow 10 pointer

Nov 11, 2013
    Cannon maybe? I know what you're talking about but I can't recall the company either.

10. Brsutton86

Brsutton86 12 pointer

Sep 19, 2009
    Harrodsburg, KY
    No it's not Cannon. It's a high end made in USA company. I'll think of it and come back...lol