had an awsome hunt

Discussion in 'General Hunting' started by bearhoundsman, Nov 19, 2003.

1. bearhoundsman

bearhoundsman 6 pointer

Sep 19, 2003
    jonesborough, tn, USA.
    this year's november hunt was monday and tuesday.
    we killed 3 monday 424,384,278. and got several dogs hurt.
    tuesday we killed 3 also 524,277,221. got 2 dogs killed and sent 18 to the vet. will hopefully have pics soon.

2. squirrelgravy

squirrelgravy 6 pointer

Oct 9, 2003
    What's awesome about getting 2 dogs killed?

3. bearhoundsman

bearhoundsman 6 pointer

Sep 19, 2003
    jonesborough, tn, USA.
    killing six bear in 2 days dosn't happen very often especially some as big as those. when you turn good dogs onto big bear there is a chance that can happen everyone who hunts with hounds knows it. the dogs getting hurt isn't the good part.

4. aceoky

aceoky 12 pointer

Jul 14, 2003
    The Tin Foil Mansion
    Congrats bearhoundsman! WOW that's a lot of rugs! Where did you kill them?

Are they any good to eat(I've heard some say they'd rather have bear than deer......can't imagine that) [:D]

Pics that sounds great!!!

<hr noshade size="1">
    I'd rather be lucky than good any day!!

Reloaders Haul Brass!

5. CVN71 Ordnance

CVN71 Ordnance 8 pointer

Sep 1, 2003
    Strunk, Kentucky, USA.
    That is awesome!!! I would love to come on a bear hunt with you sometime.

GO NAVY!!!

6. Turtleky

Turtleky 10 pointer

Sounds cool! I'd love to see some pictures.

7. bearhoundsman

bearhoundsman 6 pointer

Sep 19, 2003
    jonesborough, tn, USA.
    i'll get the pics up as soon as i get them devloped. the hunt took place in northeast tennessee. i like deer but actualy perfer bear meat. the guy who got the big one is going to have a full body mount done. hope he's got plenty of room.

8. aceoky

aceoky 12 pointer

Jul 14, 2003
    The Tin Foil Mansion
    Thanks for lettin me know!!! I wondered if it would be TN(my dad's family is from around Harriman) [:D] Again congrats to you guys!!!

<hr noshade size="1">
    I'd rather be lucky than good any day!!

Reloaders Haul Brass!

9. Congratulations on an awsome hunt!!!!
    Sorry to hear about your dogs. They went out doing what they love best.
    I went on a dog hunt in Maine with a guide from Tenn. and another from NC. It was the first time I hunted with dog's. I was amazed at the excitement and enthusiasm in every one of them. From the minute they showed up at camp they were ready to go. The guide told me they go there every year and they know where they are. I don't think they (the dogs) slept all night! To watch them work together and get them bears was truely an awsome expirince!
    I don't know if I would ever do a dog hunt again but I am glad I did it once. I didn't feel like I got the bear....the dogs did. If they were my dogs and I spent the time training them like you do, I would definately have enjoyed it, maybe more than any other kind of hunting I have ever done. Bear hunting is awsome!

http://www.hydrotoys.com/wavs/stickmen/trollbutt.gif

10. bearhoundsman

bearhoundsman 6 pointer

Sep 19, 2003
    jonesborough, tn, USA.
    having good hounds takes a lot of time and effort and money for vet bills. the dogs love it, i love it. when bear season rolls around everything else goes on hold. as far as you not getting the bear you and the dogs worked together to get the bear with either pice of the picture missing you may not have been successful.

11. Grant

Grant 10 pointer

Nov 25, 2003
    Crittenden County
    I'm not trying to take shots at you but thats the first I have heard of it and I don't like it. I'm sure your one heck of a guy but I don't agree with that. I could never justify loosing a one dog let alone two so that I might get the chance to kill a bear. I don't understand that and I probably don't want to.
    I know if I put the time and money into a dog, he would be family. It would be like training my brother to chase one down and tell him right before the hunt...Oh, yea, theres a chance you might get killed, but as long as I have a good hunt its OK. Now I know thats a bit of a stretch but still.

12. bearhoundsman

bearhoundsman 6 pointer

Sep 19, 2003
    jonesborough, tn, USA.
    it's not ok loseing a dog. the dogs we use are born and bred for hunting bear. if a dog don't wanna go it isn't forced to. the awsome part of the hunt is the taking of a bear that will just barely miss b&c. people who are unfortunately lose good bear dogs often lose dogs worth sever hundered if not a few thousand dollars. i'm in the sport to have good bear dogs not kill bear peronally. i don't care if i ever kill another bear and probly won't unless it is hurting dogs. the dogs are number 1 on the hunt their utmost safety is put before my own. i've looked death in the eye several times to finish a bear that was on the ground trying his best to kill every dog there. so please don't look down on my form of hunting. if hunters don't stick together we will all lose. you chose to still hunt i'll stand beside you and help protect your right to still hunt but in return i ask that you don't run down hunting with dogs, and help defend the tradition of hunting with hounds.

13. bearhoundsman

bearhoundsman 6 pointer

Sep 19, 2003
    jonesborough, tn, USA.
    i understand that bear hunting is not big at all in kentucky, i'm sure you all have forms of hunting that are looked at as tradition such as a deer camp or something of that nature. where i'm from bear hunting with hounds is a tradition that is older than the state it's self. pioneers in this area baught hunting dogs with them and used them for all kinds of game including but not limited to bear. there is documentation of davy crockett hunting bear with hounds. so just because you don't think it is humane or that it's not for you don't run it down, especially if you are a hunter because you know the anti hunting movement in this country is growing every day. if hunters don't stick together before long there will be no use for web sites like this one unless people just wanna sit around and tell stories about the good old days. and if we let the anti hunters have their way desease will run rampid in our wild game populations and starvation will be the way the population is kept a little in check. i know here we would have more bear human incounters that turn bad because the bear would be hungry and a bear that is starving is one you don't wanna run up on. so we need to stick together i'll stop running off at the mouth now before i get to hot.

14. Larry Carter

Larry Carter 8 pointer

Mar 2, 2003
    Crab Orchard, Ky, USA.
    Grant,I've never said this to anyone on the forum before but you're full of shit.

15. squirrelgravy

squirrelgravy 6 pointer

Oct 9, 2003
    Hey Bear, didn't mean to open a can of worms here!! I would just like you to know that I definetely wasn't knocking your hunting method!!! Anything and every way they allow us to hunt is O.K. by me!! But if I was duck hunting with my lab (who is also worth several hundred dollars), had the best harvest of my life, and then my lab drowns on the last retrieve, I just wouldn't have called that an "awesome" hunt; it would be the absolute worst day of my life!! I do see the difference though, your dogs are bred for chasing bear, and if they love it, and you can stomach losing them, go for it!! To me however, my lab and GSP are like children to me.