Hammock camping?

Discussion in 'Camping' started by Elmotatum, Aug 16, 2015.

1. suburbansniper

suburbansniper 6 pointer

Jan 3, 2011
    Hebron, KY
    You need to hang it so that the straps are around 40 degrees. This will keep the sides of the hammock limp and let you lay off center, so that you can lay flat. There are a bunch of different straps to use. Be mindful that depending on your straps water will run down the tree, then onto your strap, then into your hammock. It also don't take much to get cold either. The hammock will crush the insulation of a sleeping bag and you will end up with a cold back. Best set up is and under-quilt that hangs on the outside of the hammock underneath you and a top-quilt. Some use a sleeping pad inside the hammock then your sleeping bag. Bug net is a plus, bugs crawl down your tree straps too. You also need a tarp to cover yourself.

You really don't save much weight over a one man tent, by the time you get a complete hammock system. Still have to sit your gear on the ground, getting out to use the bathroom is a chore.

Hope this helps

2. smashdn

smashdn 12 pointer

Nov 24, 2003
    Palmyra, Kentucky
    I have a Warbonnet Blackbird, double layer 1.7oz nylon body. I had the guy make it reverse from the normal lay because i sleep on my right side in bed. In my hammock I almost always sleep on my back.

I bought a Hennesy hex tarp, changed out the guylines to something with a reflective thread in them. On the hammock I changed out the stock strap suspension to whoopie slings and use the tree straps and marlin spike hitch. Have a 3/4 3 season LeighLo underquilt and use a mountain hardware bag as a top quilt.

With that insulation I can get down to about 30* comfortably with no water bottle and normal clothes.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. Elmotatum

Elmotatum 6 pointer

Sep 23, 2013
    Western Ky
    This guy has it figured out. Need to invest in a under quilt. I'm sleeping on a cheap foam pad with my sleeping bag. It takes a bit to get all you need unless you have deep pockets. I do not!!

4. Elmotatum

Elmotatum 6 pointer

Sep 23, 2013
    Western Ky
    You've done your homework also. I think I'd rather go the warbonnet route instead of a hennesy. Hennesy just makes it real simple to get started. Tarp, bugnet an all in one package. There snake skins are pretty cool!!

5. smashdn

smashdn 12 pointer

Nov 24, 2003
    Palmyra, Kentucky
    I tried to get my wife one of the Hennesy packages. She went with a Byer Traveler instead and a huge guide gear tarp.

I didn't care for the bottom entry of the Hennesey's, and that was all they offered when I geared up. The Warbonnet guys have many more options now as well. When i bought it was blackbird in the different weights and that was it.

I have thought about using the snake skins but I just loosely fold my tarp and lash it to the outside of my pack to keep any moisture from getting inside it.

I used an army surplus foam pad for about a year before I got that underquilt. It makes a big difference in comfort and warmth. I'd get a full length instead of a 3/4 if I had it to do over.

6. briarjumper12

briarjumper12 6 pointer

Aug 17, 2006
    I have a warbonnet xlc. A mountain wilderness tarp. A hammock gear incubator. I love my setup. I will say underquilts are THE way to go.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. smashdn

smashdn 12 pointer

Nov 24, 2003
    Palmyra, Kentucky
    That's a cool looking tarp.

8. Brutus Hedgeapple

Brutus Hedgeapple 10 pointer

Jul 30, 2002
    South Central Ky.
    It is! I've not seen one of those before.

9. ptbrauch

ptbrauch 12 pointer

Nov 10, 2004
    J-Town
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2015
  10. rcurry

rcurry 6 pointer

Mar 29, 2006
    Adair county, ky
    I have a Hennessy, Safari and love it. It's the biggest and most comfy one I own.An Arrowhead, Patomic full length underquilt keeps me warm. The Safari came with the large hex tarp which gives great protection. I can not only side sleep but also belly sleep in this huge hammock. Laying on the diagonal allows true comfort. There are plenty of hammocks and brands to choose from. My isn't the lightest but I'm not backpacking or hiking. I only kayak camp so the weight is no worry for me. My set up works perfect for me. There is a huge amount of room inside this thing so I never get cramped for room.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2015
  11. KYBOY

KYBOY 12 pointer

Apr 21, 2005
    Floyd,co..Kentucky
    I thought Id bring some life back into this thread. We just did some trading and got a hammock built by a guy on the hammock forums. Its an 11' because of my size. it also came with a underblaket and a bunch of other goodies. It very well made. Ill report back tonight, it just came in but I haven't got the chance to look at it yet. Ive been wanting to get into this for a long time.

12. rcurry

rcurry 6 pointer

Mar 29, 2006
    Adair county, ky
    Was it a Papa Smurf hammock?

13. deadaim

deadaim 12 pointer

Dec 12, 2001
    Booger Hollar