handguns

Discussion in 'General Hunting' started by bower, Feb 19, 2004.

1. bower

bower 8 pointer

Jan 14, 2003
    LaGrange, ky, USA.
    i've been thinking about buying a pistol lately and i was wondering if there was a site i could go to, to see the cost and read up on pistols. do any of ya'll know a good site? ty

>--> if it's brown it's down<--<

2. ksp965

ksp965 Cyber-Hunter

Aug 24, 2003
    Whitesburg, KY, USA.
    I don't know of a site like you asked for, but out of curosity, what purpose will you be putting the pistol to? Saying you are going to buy a pistol is like saying you are going to buy a long gun. All different types for different intended uses.

3. Hunting_Medic

Hunting_Medic 6 pointer

Jan 7, 2004
    Hopkins Co., Ky..
    Buy a 40 cal and you won't be sorry! The best all around pistol I have ever owned.

4. ksp965

ksp965 Cyber-Hunter

Aug 24, 2003
    Whitesburg, KY, USA.
    My pistols and revolvers are like golf clubs, got a different one for different purposes. From .22s for plinking to .44s for hunting and serious self-defense, to pocket guns for concealed self-defense.

5. ksp771

ksp771 10 pointer

Read the information on my site about choosing a self defense weapon. Hope it helps you in your quest.

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by bower</i>
    <br />i've been thinking about buying a pistol lately and i was wondering if there was a site i could go to, to see the cost and read up on pistols. do any of ya'll know a good site? ty

&gt;--&gt; if it's brown it's down&lt;--&lt;
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

http://www.wrightsweaponsystems.com

6. bower

bower 8 pointer

Jan 14, 2003
    LaGrange, ky, USA.
    the pistol is just for my house incase some decides to get some air up their a** ands break into my house that is the soul purpose of it.

&gt;--&gt; if it's brown it's down&lt;--&lt;

7. ksp771

ksp771 10 pointer

I would recommend that you go with a Glock 40 cal. It is simple to use and not alot of complicated areas to defeat before you have to use it. Remember that if you have to use it there is a chance that you will most likely have one of the biggest adrenaline dumps you could ever experience. If your like me this causes shaking etc. and your accuracy depleats greatly. Which ever firearm you go with Practice Paractice and Practice. The 40 cal has better ballistics and wound devastation genetics than the 9mm.
    Good luck let me know if I can help you.

8. aceoky

aceoky 12 pointer

Jul 14, 2003
    The Tin Foil Mansion
    For a home defense weapon the .357 or the .40 S&W would be *my* top picks, a revolver is not apt to "malfunction" and with a .357 you have the choice of using .38 +P loads or full "punch" loads(useful in case wife needs to use it and doesn't like full power .357 loads)[:)]

My choice , I agree with everything that KSP771 said, and I keep a .40 S&W very "handy" (with an extra clip one with 180 grain hollowpoints, one with 180 grain full metal jackets) . Mine is a S&W Sigma series(a glock clone that they had to stop making since it's too much like a glock!)[:D]

In a "battle" situation even with "speedloaders" a revolver is MUCH harder to reload, and there is NO way of knowing just how bad of a situation you'll end up in, I've owned several .38's .357's .44's etc. and we still have a nice compact 9mm(wife's) but for my choice the .40 is THE BEST compromise in power and usefullness in that "don't wanna have it happen" situation!

As for the recoil, my wife and 15 year old son can both handle the .40 and in fact it's not as bad as the compact 9mm! (due to the 9's short barrel length it "feels" like it "kicks" more than the .40 seems to do!) I'm adding this because a pistol's recoil is a factor in just how effective it is(what you can't hit with is a poor choice)..... Most people survive being shot with a handgun(80%) so it's NOT the best choice, a 12 guage shotgun with buckshot is a near 100% effective one shot round, but is hard to handle in tight quarters so it's not as "useful" yet more effective (I do keep one handy thus loaded as well) [:)]

If you can at all, try to find someone to let you shoot some different handguns see what "feels right" to you (and to your wife ...just in case...if you are married, it's just as likely (if not more so) that she will be the one they decide to "prey" upon if they know you're not home(working hunting etc.)

One more thing IMHO it's important to find a safe place to practice in very low light(almost too dark to see as well as you'd like to) that way you're more prepared for when you're most likely to need to use it in a home invasion type situation. My sites "glow" so it's a very handy feature to have, and hope I'll never need!

I hope this is of some help to you, good luck , please let us know what you decide on, gun nuts like me like to know these things [:D]

<hr noshade size="1">
    I'd rather be lucky than good any day!!

Reloaders Haul Brass!

9. Big58cal

Big58cal 10 pointer

Dec 10, 2001
    KY
    You know, it's amazing how "quiet" things get when the sound of a shotgun being 'racked' echoes throughout the place! I know first hand. Several years ago, we had some drunks trying to come into the house when I was still living at home. Amazing how quiet it got once they ticked me off enough that I racked that shotgun and was ready to fire upon the first thing that came through that door! No more problems!

Everything that ksp771 and aceoky said well worth listening to! The only thing that I would add is to practice shooting a pistol A LOT!!!!!! And do it some with your eyes closed (close to the target of course). The reason for this is that if you find a gun that "fits" your natural grip and when you bring it up, you automatically align on target, this will help quite a bit in low light/dark situations. Also, take a class to get your concealed carry permit. Doesn't really matter if you get the permit or not, but you should really know when shooting someone is justified and when it isn't. Could save you a lot of grief and 'money' later!

The only purpose of bread is to hold meat!

10. Hunting_Medic

Hunting_Medic 6 pointer

Jan 7, 2004
    Hopkins Co., Ky..
    I just bought a Taraus PT140, 40 Cal last week. Great gun! My wife shot several rounds through it and had no problem with its handling. The last 3 guns I have owned have all been 40's. If I am not mistaken the FBI and DEA went to 40's because it can be used by both male and female officers without any problems, and of course because the 40 is more than enough to put a man down.

11. Carl

Carl 12 pointer

Dec 1, 2003
    Underground Bunker in KY
    My favorite handgun for target shooting is a Smith mod 14 with 6 in. brl. It will shoot one holers at 30 ft.
    For home defense I have a Taurus PT 92 satin nickle loaded with Black Talon (I stocked up on them when I could) Federal Hydra-Shock also performs well. I have 5 extra high cap. magazines, a couple of them are Ram Line 18 rnd....plenty of fire power. My wife likes the Taurus and she can shoot it better than I can so I guess it's really hers. For conceal carry I use a Smith mod. 36, 2 in. or a Walther PP.

Carl[:)]

12. Redfishman

Redfishman 8 pointer

I'm a tad old fashion But I've stuck to basics ,the 357 revolver.
    I'm partial to Ruger. I've got sp101, blackhawk s/action 6" barrel
    You can shoot 38/ 38+p's/357 in these firearms ,all readily available
    at any Store in a variety of grains.-you can also get "shot shells"
    If you use 38's or 38+p's they are cheap to use in comparison to 44mag
    or the 50's. It is an excellent weapon to carry on you or in a vehicle- if laws permit. They are fun to "plink" with also. Home protection?- a 12ga pump with buckshot -a 1-shot no miss proposition
    where you can shoot thru doors /sheetrock walls etc. Home invasions
    are a REAL thing.

Early Birds get the Worms
    BUT
    The 2nd Mouse always gets
    the CHEESE

13. GSP

GSP 14 Pointer Staff Member

Dec 12, 2001
    Montrose
    If you are looking just for a home protection gun, buy a pump shot-gun. As 58 said, the sound of working the action will run anyone off.

As for my home protection, I have around 5 different 12 guages around. The one in the bedroom is a 24" I/C with a box of #8 shot close. You don't want 00 buck. Can you imagine a round of #8's at 10 feet? I hope any dunb a$$ that thinks breaking into folks houses as a profitable buisness considers this.

14. ksp771

ksp771 10 pointer

GSP does have a point. There is a new found fear in everyone to the racking of a 12 ga shotgun! And it is easier to shoot. Maybe look for one of those Mosberg Maverick shotguns with the pistol grip. I have seen them for $140-$200.

15. Hunting_Medic

Hunting_Medic 6 pointer

Jan 7, 2004
    Hopkins Co., Ky..
    As long as we are talking about putting fear into a would be thief, how about using a laser sight! Nothing could make you have a bowel movement faster than to see a red dot between your eyes. As far as the 12 ga. idea, that's a little much for most women to handle in a quick situation, not to mention it won't fit in a night stand. And if I am going to fire at someone in my house, I sure don't want to be picking shot pellets out of every thing, not to mention the bloody mess you and your family would have to clean up.