Harvest totals?

Discussion in 'Turkey Hunting' started by KYH5N1, May 10, 2017.

1. KYH5N1

KYH5N1 10 pointer

Has anyone crunched the numbers yet? Total harvest, comparison to years past? I haven't had an opportunity so could someone please take lead and let us know. Thanks

2. shaman

shaman 8 pointer

Jul 20, 2004
    Neave, KY, USA.
    Bracken County in the NE is way down in relation to the rest of the NE region. It's not that Bracken's numbers are all that far off from normal, it's just half a dozen other ones did much better. Normally Bracken is #! in the NorthEast.

3. mudhole crossing

mudhole crossing 10 pointer

Aug 20, 2007
    Knott co
  4. bondhu

bondhu 6 pointer

Jul 3, 2015
    Battle Run
    So know we have a answer for the March post "Turkeys ?" . Hot off the press "the decline in turkey numbers is do to hunters harvest."

5. xbokilla

xbokilla 12 pointer

Jun 28, 2012
    Not that it matters that much but that still doesn't determine whether overall numbers are up or down.

6. Valley Station

Valley Station Cyber-Hunter

2017 harvest 33,062, largest Telecheked harvest since 2010, when 36,097 birds checked in.
    Last 5-year average is 31,490.
    10% Jake harvest.
    Least gobbling I've. heard early May in a while. Fewer gobblin' turkeys left in the woods?

7. KYH5N1

KYH5N1 10 pointer

Thanks Valley. The weather in early May was terrible in my area and I think that was a factor in the amount of gobbling. Rain, storms, wind, had gobblers in a bad mood most every morning in May. Throw in that most gobblers I saw were with hens all day and then add hunting pressure and we have seriously suppressed gobbling activity.

8. mudhole crossing

mudhole crossing 10 pointer

Aug 20, 2007
    Knott co
    I'm convinced not every tom in an area gobbles each day. You may hear one but in reality there could be 3 in the same area that isn't sounding off. If u think about, a lone tom has a reason to gobble at daybreak. A tom roosted with hens may feel no need to gobble. But who really knows the answer. As much rain we got on the weekends and Easter keeping a lot of hunters out of the woods, I'm surprised the harvest was that high.

9. KYH5N1

KYH5N1 10 pointer

I agree. They don't all gobble every morning. From hens, weather, hunting pressure, pecking order, to numerous other factors. Year round observation is the only way we can have an idea of the number of gobblers on a given piece of ground and then it's still just an educated guess.

10. huntr467

huntr467 12 pointer

I hunt Crittenden county. numbers are still way down. I travel the county for work and have a lot of customers who own farms and that is the overwhelming consensus of everyone you talk to, we just don't have the birds we used to. Telecheck confirms it.

The average adult male harvest
    2010-2013= 474.... highest harvest for the period 2012= 490
    2014-2017= 327.... highest harvest for the period 2017= 349

The harvest declined from 491 in 2013 to 333 in 2014.

Some pretty significant changes in my opinion. But no one has identified a specific reason.
    Theories are always the same, predators, weather, bad hatches etc. Imo I think there is something more to it. But it is what it is.

The Purchase region as a whole did see an increase from last year however.
    2016=3784
    2017=4018
    However those numbers include sub adults.

11. hollandhunter

hollandhunter 12 pointer

Feb 11, 2008
    Holland Kentucky
    I think the reason why harvest numbers are up is simply because there are more hunters then ever and the hunters themselfs are more evolved. Also several years ago very few hunted with a fan or a full strut decoy. An both of those for sure increase your chances of killing a bird. Regardless if he gobbles and comes to call or not there is still a good chance you will kill him with a fan or full strut decoys. Like it or not its a fact. An i also believe todays camo and blinds play a big part in our success. Growing up hunting out of a blind wasnt talked about much. Now its nothing but normal. I dont have a thing in the world against blinds,fans,or full strut decoys. But they do increase your odds greatly.
    I would bet everything i own that numbers are down in my area compared to the years past. Sure there are still birds just about everywhere in ky. But there not in my area as much as they use to be. Years ago you couldnt leave my house without seeing a turkey. Weather it be just driving down the road to work or whatever. Now im lucky to see one over a months time driving.
    I also think predators are more evolved. One of my farms is loaded up with yotes and coons. I called in 3 different coyotes on the first series of calling and 3 different hunts. That tells me exactly why gobbling has deminished on that farm. Hell if i was a gobbler i wouldnt gobble either if i had hens and every time i gobbled i had to fight off a coyote. Then you got coons and oppossums etc eating the eggs as fast as they hit the ground im sure. Which would explain henned up gobblers throughout the entire season. Years ago there werent any turkeys around here. An when season first opened alot of us had no clue how to bag a bird. Same way with the preds im sure it took them awhile to lock onto the eggs and figure out turkeys habits. An years later now that hunters have came full circle and more hunters now then ever your seeing the effects in some areas. Also i wanna add you dont see many coon hunters anymore. I use to coon hunt myself alot years ago. But do to a growing family and work i got out of it and havent ever went back. I use to go out on my back porch at nite and hear coon dogs working off in the distance all the time. Now if i hear one its usually chainex up waiting to be fed. Ha.
    I have alot of work to do this summer and fall before next season gets here. I plan on killing as many yotes and coons as i can. I dont hunt with coon dogs anymore. But when they come in season i promise there will be some dead rocky raccoons on my place. I understand that there has to be a balance of predators but the majority of my places have WAY to many. Jmo

Last edited: May 12, 2017
  12. HappyHunter

HappyHunter 8 pointer

Sep 11, 2003
    Louisville
    Hollandhunter nailed it. Numbers of birds are definitely down where I hunt. Although they are better than the past 2 years. Harvest numbers are high because of the factors below.

13. K9trapper

K9trapper 12 pointer

Dec 7, 2006
    My 2 cents...

- The number of jakes on my places was high. Sixteen on one trail cam pic at the beginning of season. Gobblers don't gobble when that many jakes are around to bully/harass them.
    - Of the four birds I killed (two at Knox), old birds with spurs exceeding 1". As known, old birds gobble less.
    - Gobbling is contagious, so having higher numbers tends to make your farm louder.
    - I run trail cams on my farms for turkeys too, so I know what's there before season/during season.

And as always, if you want more turkeys, kill nest predators and quit worrying about coyotes.

14. turk2di

turk2di Cyber-Hunter

Feb 25, 2003
    evansville, ind
    Hollandhunter hit the nail. No one likes or wants to discuss it cause its makes them mad, or hurts thier ego. First it was full strut gobbler decoys, then proliferation of the pop up blind. Those two together and your non huntin wife could kill a bird any day. Now comes the crawling/walking fan and more killin pressure is applied. Toss in tagged out hunters calling in_____numbers of gobblers for other hunters and thier you have it. A gobbler population hammered to say the least. And lets not absolve the voracious timber companys running out of block woods to cut and mowing down small woodlots now and even tree lines and fencerows!

hollandhunter likes this.