Help me out here

Discussion in 'Coon Hunting' started by shaman, Apr 5, 2018.

1. shaman

shaman 8 pointer

Jul 20, 2004
    Neave, KY, USA.
    Let me say up front:

1) I'm a hunter and a landowner
    2) I've not coon hunted, but I've got nothing against the sport
    3) I'm asking questions. I don't have an ax to grind.

I just spent the last hour reviewing camera footing from my camp. I put up cameras last fall so I could watch the place when I wasn't there. Last night, there was about an hour's worth of footage with coon hunters coming and going. All told they made three trips to the house. On one trip, they climbed the gate and went back on the property. However, for the most part, they stayed right at the road.

This is not the first time it's happened. I've gotten calls in the wee hours from neighbors. In one case, the sheriff was called out. In each and every situation it all amounted to nothing-- just a shrug and "It was coon hunters."

Now if it was any other body of people doing any other sort of activity, that would be poaching and/or trespassing. If a guy shows up in a truck in the middle of the night with a shotgun, climbs my fence and wanders off onto property, he's doing something wrong. No permission asked. No permission granted-- that's poaching. Dog box in the back of the truck? Oh! No problem! Just coon hunters.

My point in writing this thread is not to complain. I'm just trying to understand. I am relatively new to this. I've only been a landowner in the country for 19 years. I'm used to playing by city rules. When I've asked about it with my neighbors I get a shrug. Some folks accept it like you would a 3-day rain. Some folks are obviously irked about it. Few people I've seen seem to be happy with the situation.

"Oh look! Here come the coonhunters! Hurray for the rural life!" -- NOT!

I have to say that if I'd been sleeping down there last night, I'd not have appreciated 3 visits with guys shining flashlights in my bedroom windows for an hour. On the first visit, I'd have dressed and gone to the door and I'd have been armed. Coon hunters, until you see the dog box, look remarkably like housebreakers and gang rapists-- I'm just saying.

I'm asking questions. I'm not trying to be judgemental, but if there's a Beginner's Guide to Dealing with Coon Hunters, I'd sure like to read it.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2018
  2. beauhunter41031

beauhunter41031 6 pointer

Jan 1, 2018
    Cynthiana, Ky
    I guess there's two different scenarios I could think of and by no means am I a Coonhunter myself but dogs don't know property boundaries and if they get stuck on a coon the Hunter probably has to go physically pull the dog off the tree and if it is late night probably wouldn't want to properly call the adjacent landowner to ask permission to briefly walk over and get the dog which is still illegal but probably the shrug affect

It sounds like in your situation they are purposely hunting on your property which case probably need to be confronted by you or the Game warden,

I'll be honest when I've heard them in the past around my place at 11 o'clock at night I honestly don't feel like putting my shoes on going out to the woods in trying to track them down I always hope they're just passing by and hopefully those noisy dogs will go away,
    And whisper under my breath "dang coonhunters"

3. shaman

shaman 8 pointer

Jul 20, 2004
    Neave, KY, USA.
    I've had the scenario that you describe. I've been out on the back, sipping my evening cocktail and had baying hounds and then the flashlight beam of the hunters enter the property. They're a half mile off. It's trespass, but I'm not going to quibble over a lousy coon.

When I get called, when the sheriff gets called, and what I saw last night was a bit different. I had multiple visits from the coon hunters. They parked less than 10 yards from my front door, and went over my gate a couple of times. Went in and out of my woods and generally made a nuisance of themselves for the better part of an hour.

Were they being wantonly distructive? Disorderly? No. Nothing of the kind. It was just a lot of fuss, a lot of flashlights flashing and calling and such. It was coon hunters being coon hunters.

In the past, when I've been called or the sheriff has been called out, the neighbors have thought I was being robbed. In one case, the neighbor mistook the dog box being moved to another truck as my refrigerator being stolen. In another case, the sheriff got called out and had to do a thorough search of the property, inside and out to determine nothing had happened.

"Now y'all don't make your beds, do you?" he said, expressing some minor distaste along the way.

"No, they're stripped before we leave." I replied. So now I've the sheriff commenting on my housekeeping.

4. elkaholic

elkaholic 12 pointer

Jan 12, 2012
    Pendleton County
    I went coon hunting with an old buddy 1 time and never did it again. We crossed 3 ridges and 5 fences on 1 chase. I asked if we had permission on all those farms and was laughed at. I never went again. From what I witnessed that night there are no such thing as laws applying to anyone chasing a coon hound. Not wanting to offend anyone, just my two cents worth on the subject.

5. KY Swamp Beagler

KY Swamp Beagler 12 pointer

Feb 20, 2011
    the swamps of Western KY
    Did you get the plate number off the vehicle? If you did then handle it the same way you would a deer hunter, turkey hunter or four wheeler that trespasses.

6. rlb165

rlb165 8 pointer

Dec 10, 2001
    We tried letting a guy coon hunt here years ago, not long after we moved here. His dogs kept coming into our yard and treeing our cats.
    He said he'd hunted here before and got lost and ended up miles away, not figuring out where he was until daylight.
    He thought it was precious when I naively asked him how he got permission to be on so many different farms.

This never happened to me, but I've known cattle farmers that have had their electric fences shorted out, supposedly by coon hunters.

By the way, I'm not trying to stereotype. I only know one guy that still coon hunts, and he's one of the nicest people I know.

7. bigbonner

bigbonner 6 pointer

Aug 5, 2015
    I let a few people coon hunt . But they have to call me first and let me know they are going to hunt . This is for every time they want to hunt .
    If it is close to deer or turkey season , I will tell them no .

A few weeks ago some coon hunters was hunting along a creek across the road in front of my home at 2:30am . They were up on the road in front of my home shinning their lights . They constantly kept flashing the front of my house lighting me up big time . I got my spot light and went out on my porch and shined them up . and I told them to quit shinning my house . It pee'd me off pretty good and I was not in the mood for no bull crap .
    They also tend to want to get close to my big barn that I have a lot of my tools in .
    I have also heard that some coon hunters are just out to plant pot on others lands . That is their way of planting and checking on their crop .

8. ddwhitetails

ddwhitetails 10 pointer

Jul 6, 2014
    I used to coon hunt a lot when I was younger and we always asked permission and tried to respect all of the land owners as well as home owners when we could. We would have never done what happened to the OP unless we had permission to hunt his property. Yes there are times when the dogs would cross fences on to property that we did not have permission to hunt on and we would do our best to go retrieve the dogs as quickly as possible with the least amount of disruption as we could. So their kind of needs to be a respect on both sides but more so on the coon hunters.

KY Swamp Beagler and elkaholic like this.
  9. T-wil69

T-wil69 8 pointer

Jan 16, 2015
    When I used to coonhunt we Always turned loose where we had permission and where the dogs went we went, there’s no way I am going to knock on someone’s door at 1:00 in the morning, that being said I have ran into MANY landowners while retrieving dogs and I can only recall one that was mad about it and he was a anti but he still let us get our dogs most people are happy about it because we were killing the same coons that was killing thier chickens or getting into there trash, if A coon hunter came on my property I would tell them that they can go get their dogs anytime they needed to just don’t turn loose here because I know that thier is no possible way to control where a coon goes. One night my old dog bayed one undernieth some guys chicken coop so he said make sure you shoot that thing , you should have seen that guys face when that coon ran out and my old dog grabbed ahold of him, an old sow coon can put up a heck of a fight

10. mudhole crossing

mudhole crossing 12 pointer

Aug 20, 2007
    East ky
    Well I use to do it. My father still does. It's his passion. But In our area, it's all private land and is used as public. Very few places that are off limits. And those that are, are usually elk leases. I'm glad to live in such a place that accepts hunting the way it is here.

KY Swamp Beagler likes this.
  11. mudhole crossing

mudhole crossing 12 pointer

Aug 20, 2007
    East ky
    And when elk season is not in, they give u the green light too. Dif world around here I guess.