Henry county hog hunting video

Discussion in 'General Hunting' started by shoulderblock, Jan 31, 2018.

1. beauhunter41031

beauhunter41031 6 pointer

Jan 1, 2018
    Cynthiana, Ky
    I heard that once they dispatch them it's up to you as far as the rest,free choice,they do tests and measurements and do not take them when they leave

2. shoulderblock

shoulderblock 6 pointer

Jun 14, 2007
    Fish and Wildlife do not recommend eating them because of swine brucellosis. I have eaten a few and they were good. Smoked is the best. I have killed a few and couldn't hardly stand beside them because of the stench.

3. muddhunter

muddhunter 12 pointer

Oct 18, 2005
    louisville

I am no expert and have never eaten a ky hog but I have eaten a lot of wild hog we have killed in Texas. They taste just like a farm raised hog but are lean. I love making them into brats, snack sticks and sausage of every sort. Delicious smoked and chops grilled are fantastic. I can only guess that ky hog would be better given that they have more food sources than the Tx hogs I have killed.

4. Gooch

Gooch 8 pointer

Feb 24, 2004
    .lincoln co ky
  5. luvtohunt

luvtohunt 8 pointer

Sep 1, 2011
    Eubank, Ky
    Awww son now u done went and got my mouth watering for some sweet acorn fed hog meat!! Ok fellas, I need a place to hunt. Come on with the secret locations. Lol just kidding but acorn fed pork does sound appetizing!!

6. wademup

wademup 12 pointer

Feb 5, 2004
    benton, ky, USA.
    Agreed, our TX hogs were great. We had the young ones made into all the regular cuts and the bigger ones ground for sausage, it was all good. I think F&W downplays eating them to discourage folks from hunting them in KY. Folks are eating them everywhere in the south and I don't hear of any real problms

7. beauhunter41031

beauhunter41031 6 pointer

Jan 1, 2018
    Cynthiana, Ky
    Cattle can get brucellosis too, I have all my heifers vaccinated but a lot of people don't, i'd say there's a couple that find their way to the slaughterhouse

8. Feedman

Feedman Cyber-Hunter

May 28, 2003
    In the basement
    No they don't. They get tested at the slaughterhouse. If a positive shows up, it is then traced back to the source. Most positives are false positives that comes when they are vaccinated after a certain age an they have a titer build up.