Hickory nut pie

Discussion in 'Food Preparation, Camp Cooking and Recipes' started by drakeshooter, Nov 8, 2018.

1. I haven’t got past the cracking and picking out pieces until you’re blue in the face part yet. Anybody got any tricks to make getting the meat easier to remove from the shells?

bondhu likes this.
  2. bondhu

bondhu 12 pointer

Jul 3, 2015
    Battle Run
    LMAO I haven't heard of hickory nut pie in over 40 year (if its kinda like pecan you speak of).
    When I was to young for man work, Mamaw taught me to gather things during different seasons of the year, and hickory nuts were one of them. When holidays got close we had an old stone that had a dip in it and a silt mortar. Both were used for grinding corn by indians. These came out of the plowed field behind the barn couple generations before me. You could hit a nut just right and 4 pieces would be left, an old ice pick that had an advertisement on it would get what was left. Both of these set out of the way against a oak tree over by the coal pile. That farm sold when I was 19-20 year old , sure wish I would have picked up those 2 pieces before it sold. Sorry drakeshooter I know this ain't much help. When pie is done I hope you post a picture.

carnivore, barney and drakeshooter like this.
  3. jfiscus

jfiscus 6 pointer

Nov 19, 2013
    Kenton County
    I liked using my bench vise for walnuts, probably would work well for hickory nuts.

drakeshooter likes this.
  4. KY Swamp Beagler

KY Swamp Beagler 12 pointer

Feb 20, 2011
    the swamps of Western KY
    I got nothing. Hickory nuts must be good. I’ve got 3 hounds and a Cur that eat hell out of them. They can crack a shell in about 30 seconds.

Want to rent 4 no-account nut cracking hounds?:)

5. Lady Hunter

Lady Hunter 12 pointer

Jan 12, 2009
    Find you one of these:

[​IMG]

They're hard to find but they make quick work out of black walnuts. We'll be using ours on hickories for the first time this year.

carnivore, barney and drakeshooter like this.
  6. mudhole crossing

mudhole crossing 12 pointer

Aug 20, 2007
    East ky
    Bear like hickory nuts. They just eat them whole, shells and all.

drakeshooter likes this.
  7. I love eating hickories but they are like eating crab. You work hard for each little bite. We all used to use a wooden mallet or a ball peen hammer and cinder block or anvil and hit the dried nuts just hard enough to crack em. Don't smash em as it smashes the nut meat too and you get little bits of shell into the pie. A hickory nut pie sound good. Walnut pick helps. There ain't no easy way.

8. Gonna give this one a go I think.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000BWFMB...nt=&hvlocphy=200524&hvtargid=kwd-336494444084

9. barney

barney 12 pointer

Oct 11, 2005
    drakeshooter likes this.
  10. Dark Cloud

Dark Cloud 10 pointer

Aug 14, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    We use to gather the soft shell hickory nuts,off them big scaly bark hickories,kernel came out pretty good,I took a piece of 1/2 inch metal drilled a shallow impression,and mounted on a piece of 5”x 5” long enough to sit between my legs ,turn nut up end way ,they usually would bust ok,then use a pick.Hickory nuts are got but you gotta work for them.

drakeshooter likes this.
  11. barney

barney 12 pointer

Oct 11, 2005
    drakeshooter likes this.
  12. Not anymore. ;)

DaveInJax and barney like this.
  13. Working with two different hickory nuts. The two on the left are smaller and ridgier from a couple of 2’ plus ft diameter old shag bark of some kind hickory and the two on right are bigger, rounder and much harder nuts that come from a smooth bark hickory, this one old and 2’ plus too. Both contain a good deal of meat but I’d give the edge in taste to the shaggy.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 8, 2018
  14. BTW, the sad haul so far with a pair of channel locks and a hammer.

[​IMG]

RuggedRack, bondhu, TripleGee and 2 others like this.