hog hunting

Discussion in 'General Hunting' started by gun rack, Oct 25, 2016.

Tags:
  1. gun rack

gun rack Fawn

Oct 25, 2016
    looking for somewhere in kentucky to hog hunt. looked into big south fork, don't know if thats where I want to go. Does anyone know of any land owners or farmers that have a hog problem? I'm not really interested in an expensive hunt at some lodge.

Gooch likes this.
  2. I used to hunt them on Big South Fork back before KY Fish & Wildlife decided to protect them from unlimited varmint hunting. That was some years ago when they decided to allow only deer hunters to shoot them during deer season. Brilliant. After that, I went elsewhere. I am not sure what their population or status are now. I understand that they are now back to more or less unlimited daylight hunting including use of dogs (a plus) and baiting on private lands. The area close to Big South Fork is the right place. If you ask around, you might be able to find willing land owners. Most people do not want them around.

Irish

3. gun rack

gun rack Fawn

Oct 25, 2016
    I have called the office at big south fork to get information. Tenn. says one thing, kentucky says something else. Seems like alot of rules for an animal nobody wants around. The map of big south fork shows alot of atv trails. BSF office says you are not allowed to use atv's to hunt. looks like it could be a real long walk to where the hogs might be. And a long way to pack one out. Best I can tell, Kentucky has a short period after deer season to hunt them into Feb. in Big South Fork. I may have to give it a try. I've never hunted there before.

4. danf26

danf26 6 pointer

Nov 5, 2009
    southeastky
    where is this south fork

5. gun rack

gun rack Fawn

Oct 25, 2016
    Big south fork is located on the tennesee - kentucky state line. Its pretty much west of cumberland gap.

6. gun rack

gun rack Fawn

Oct 25, 2016
    anybody know anyone in the south fork area I could contact about hunting on private land?