Hog Trapping

Discussion in 'General Hunting' started by deerturkey14, Jan 18, 2018.

1. wv67

wv67 6 pointer

Dec 19, 2017
    Southern wva
    Where did these hogs start or was they always in Kentucky , new Tennessee had hogs we have em but they was stocked never heard of Kentucky having hogs

2. elkaholic

elkaholic 12 pointer

Jan 12, 2012
    Pendleton County
    They are rare in Kentucky but some are around. I guess some people think every once in a while it would be cool to have them and turn them loose. I guess some may be farm hogs that get loose on their own too then turn wild.

3. slickhead slayer

slickhead slayer 12 pointer

Nov 14, 2005
    VP OF ADMIN Development
    Between trapping and the Dept of agriculture flying helicopters they are now in the thousands as far as killed pigs in Henry county. Started with a small contained group around Lockport, and have exploded in the last few years.
    Haven't heard lately if they think they have a handle on them or not.

4. luvtohunt

luvtohunt 8 pointer

Sep 1, 2011
    Eubank, Ky
    Any updates on the how the trapping is going?? Catch us up on how things are going.

5. richief

richief 10 pointer

Jun 20, 2012
    down a holler SE KY
    Seen a documentary that claimed its only a matter of time before all of N. America has pigs, they are so prolific.

6. beauhunter41031

beauhunter41031 8 pointer

Jan 1, 2018
    Cynthiana, Ky
    Maybe we should just build a wall around Kentucky to keep the pigs out somebody should write Mr. Trump on this issue

JR PORTER likes this.
  7. deerturkey14

deerturkey14 6 pointer

Oct 29, 2012
    Louisville
    I meet with the biologist on Friday morning. I will keep everyone updated thru the process.

8. jfiscus

jfiscus 6 pointer

Nov 19, 2013
    Kenton County
    I have a buddy in Bethlehem that said they came out and trapped the hogs on his property and they literally killed hundreds of them there. He says his property is now pretty clear of them, but that they are still on farms down the road so it is just a matter of time until they return.

deerturkey14 and elkaholic like this.
  9. deerturkey14

deerturkey14 6 pointer

Oct 29, 2012
    Louisville
    I just got back from meeting with the biologist. We drove around the farm and and located a good spot to lay out the bait and remote camera. She said it could take a few days or a week for them to get on the bait. They will continue to watch and bait the area before they install the trap. If anybody is having pigs on their land message me and I will give you my contact numbers. They need land owners to help with the problems. Hunting them will not take care of the issue but will only spread them out. I'll keep the post updated as I get more info.

KY Swamp Beagler likes this.
  10. deerturkey14

deerturkey14 6 pointer

Oct 29, 2012
    Louisville
    Just a quick update. So far we have just one boar visiting the bait site. We will keep baiting until the sounder shows up and starts to settle in.

beauhunter41031 likes this.
  11. KYDuckCommander

KYDuckCommander 6 pointer

Jan 9, 2017
    Duck Blind
    Keep us updated.
    I’m not envious of anyone with a hog problem but I sure wouldn’t mind some meat. I had the occasion a few years back to take a sow a friend had trapped. My brother is really obese but ok at smoking a whole hog. Damn fine eatin

12. deerturkey14

deerturkey14 6 pointer

Oct 29, 2012
    Louisville
    Update:
    Wildlife Services has trapped the sounder that my daughter harvested from on a nearby property. Our set up now has three boar coming to the bait every other night. Still baiting to attract more before setting the trap.
    As a reminder, if you have pigs on your property contact Kentucky Wildlife Department before you get what we have. We went from great deer and turkey hunting to "good luck on seeing a deer or turkey"

KY Swamp Beagler and elkaholic like this.
  13. Feedman

Feedman Cyber-Hunter

May 28, 2003
    In the basement
    I'm confused. How did they trap the one your daughter harvested?

14. baknblack

baknblack 8 pointer

Jan 30, 2014
    Mt Washington
    I'd always heard there were some stupid people that brought them into the Bethlehem area and released them 30 or 40 years ago. Of course they didn't kill them all in their hunt. Now we have a problem.
    Not saying it's accurate but, I grew up in Henry and that's the story we heard.

15. luvtohunt

luvtohunt 8 pointer

Sep 1, 2011
    Eubank, Ky
    Sounder is a wild group of pigs. So she killed out of the group I assume.