Home brew canoe camo job. (pics)

Discussion in 'Waterfowl Hunting' started by 6.5x55swedish, Jun 21, 2010.

1. 6.5x55swedish

6.5x55swedish 12 pointer

May 27, 2005
    Lexington
    I am hoping to get back into duck hunting this year and after my recent spill in the canoe I decided to put a new camo pattern on it. I used a plastic 4 sale sign as a stencil and sprayed it with Rustolium camo flat paint. I think it turned out okay.

If I were doing it again I would make more than one stencil. I would also start with the darkest color and then work forward to the tan putting the dark pattern down heavy and then going lighter with the lighter colors. For a trial and error job I did okay.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. B.M. Barrelcooker

B.M. Barrelcooker 12 pointer

Jan 12, 2006
    Aintry,Ky
    That blue stuff will probably flare ducks.....I'd scratch it and start over.

3. 7mmx2

7mmx2 12 pointer

Nov 8, 2007
    KY
    Looks great from my house

4. HUNTZVT

HUNTZVT 12 pointer

Looks good. I've been thinking about painting my canoe. Did you also paint the inside/floor?

5. FOWLER2671

FOWLER2671 12 pointer

Sep 11, 2009
    Evicted from Aintry'
    Looks good! What brand is that? I have a Gheenoe that I'm using this weekend for the first time. It's wider than other canoes Ive' been in so I expect it to do well.

6. trust me

trust me Troubled Loner

Nov 27, 2004
    Jerkwater, KY
    Looks good. I found that jump shooting ducks from a canoe absolutely requires a camo job. If painting aluminum, you need an etching primer first. No big deal. Otherwise, paint will scuff off the aluminum with use.

7. 6.5x55swedish

6.5x55swedish 12 pointer

May 27, 2005
    Lexington
    The Canoe is an Old Town Predator square stern. I bought it used last year and the previous had a crappy camo job on it. I plan to add blind material to the top of the canoe so I will not have to worry about painting the inside. I used to hunt out of a Grumman aluminum which was lighter, but too noisy. So I sold it and bought this one which is close to 230 lbs, but much quieter when I hit brush or rocks.

8. trust me

trust me Troubled Loner

Nov 27, 2004
    Jerkwater, KY
    Blind material sounded like a good idea to me too, but it didn't work worth a crap. Always in the way, never stayed attached, got wet and heavy, etc. I finally started cutting river cane and throwing a few canes over the thwarts. Move them as needed, easy and cheap, disposable.

9. HUNTZVT

HUNTZVT 12 pointer

I'll second that. I used my canoe last year for the first time duck hunting. Used camo burlap zip-tied in place and draped over the edge. Then I'd pile some brush, cane, phrag, whatever was laying around into it. As far as camo went, it worked fine, but it got wet, nasty, froze, and stunk like a pack of wet dogs. This year I'll still be putting cane and brush in it, but no way I'm using any kind of camo fabric.

10. 6.5x55swedish

6.5x55swedish 12 pointer

May 27, 2005
    Lexington
    I will keep that in mind. I was actually thinking about using reed mats as the camo material for the top.