How would you kill multiple deer?

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by theprofessor, Apr 23, 2019.

1. Capttrae

Capttrae 12 pointer

Apr 2, 2012
    Scince all rules are out the window .22lr shoot the slick in the head the fawns will come back then shoot them in the head

Last edited: Apr 23, 2019
    1wildcatfan and dirtstalker like this.
  2. rlb165

rlb165 10 pointer

Dec 10, 2001
    No guarantees, but here’s what I would try:

Shoot the alpha doe high in the shoulder, so she drops in her tracks.
    SOMETIMES the other deer will look to their “leader” and if she doesn’t run, they Might not either.
    We’ve never shot more than one deer at a time, but over the years we’ve laid a few down without the rest of the deer in the plot taking off. I know a couple of guys that have done this, and they were both able to take a doe with 2 yearlings, all at once.

Just out of curiosity, what kind of numbers are you guys seeing?

Last edited: Apr 23, 2019
  3. Munson

Munson 10 pointer

Dec 24, 2011
    Natural Bridge
    I've been told to "kill em all before I gut shoot em and let em run off if they ruin my d#@!m crops again". Zone 1 county years ago.. I obliged him and fed some grateful ppl in east ky that year.

Wish they would do that for hawks just for one year. I bet we'd be surprised in the game population. JMO

Feedman, EdLongshanks and carnivore like this.
  4. theprofessor

theprofessor 6 pointer

Oct 14, 2013
    From what little I saw last year, they like the green leafy tops on the new plants, and I guess that kills or stunts the plant at a critical point?

carnivore likes this.
  5. theprofessor

theprofessor 6 pointer

Oct 14, 2013
    This is in Western VA. I think last year they killed six on the permit, in a 2 acre field situated on a 125 total acre farm. I was only out there 2 days last year, in June, and just saw the one doe-fawn pair, but countywide they're killing 2,000+ whitetail a year. Deer population is healthy.

rlb165 likes this.
  6. Duster

Duster 12 pointer

Not sure on Va law but some places that issue that type permit don't let anyone take however many deer they want for personal use. Farmers around here leave them lay in the field or drag them out of equipment path. Best check with the law first, sure don't want to see anyone get in trouble.

7. muddhunter

muddhunter 12 pointer

Oct 18, 2005
    louisville
    Are you allowed to spotlight? You should be able to shoot a bundle at night if that is the case. Do you get to keep what you kill?

8. rlb165

rlb165 10 pointer

Dec 10, 2001
    I hope you tell us how things work out.

theprofessor and wv67 like this.
  9. theprofessor

theprofessor 6 pointer

Oct 14, 2013
    I'll let y'all know. It's gonna be a couple weeks, now, it looks like.

10. cedar creek

cedar creek 10 pointer

Sep 7, 2014
  11. Tufrthnails

Tufrthnails 10 pointer

Oct 27, 2014
    Lakeland, FL
    My advice is for you to message me where to meet you and I will come show you how to kill multiples. I'm up to the challenge even happy to split the meat 50/50. I know, I know I'm such a nice guy, but someone needs to suffer through stacking a freezer full!!!!

12. ojibwa62

ojibwa62 12 pointer

Jul 1, 2018
    N/A
    Could do it like this..

13. useyourbow

useyourbow 12 pointer

I am not preaching and I am not judging but I for one could not shoot and let lay. I do confess that back in my 20's I might have had different thoughts. From my experience most crop depredation permits are usually submitted to those land owner/farmers that don't allow regular hunting and if so I say hurrah for the deer.
    But, based on hunting deer in Alabama on food plots when I was inclined to shoot more than one, head shots to the patriarch was the way to go.