Hunt Club vs Hunting Lease

Discussion in 'General Hunting' started by bigbonner, Jul 4, 2019.

1. bigbonner

bigbonner 10 pointer

Aug 5, 2015
    What is the average $ a hunter pays to join a hunt club?
    Benefits and advantages or disadvantages?

Leasing a farm / land
    Benefits and advantages or disadvantages?

2. bird whisperer

bird whisperer 10 pointer

Aug 16, 2012
    Hog Town USA
    Deer, Turkey or Duck Clubs?

3. timer

timer 8 pointer

Feb 20, 2013
    La Grange
    I was a member of a deer club for about three years. It was a nice place up in Carrol county - about 300 acres - and there were lots of deer.

I paid around $600/year and there were six guys who hunted the place. I had a good time....but I just didn't have the time to hunt enough to justify the fee.

Two main advantages to owning/leasing. First, it was much less expensive and second, I enjoyed hunting with the guys on the lease with me. I only knew one of them going in....but they were a good crew. We had some real good days....

Now that I'm very close to retirement I'd enjoy finding another group to hunt with.

4. ojibwa62

ojibwa62 12 pointer

Jul 1, 2018
    N/A
    I have payed as little as $400 for a hunting club and as much as $2000 a year. Depends on acreage and number of people, I would rather pay more and have more land and less people.

A few years ago in GA I paid $1100 for a 110 lease for the wife and I .

This year in Madison county I am leasing a farm which is 50ac for $900.

An advantage of a club is all the work , money for plots and up keep is spread over all the members. A disadvantage is not all members might have the same harvest goals in mind, which is why I prefer QDM leases and even more so trophy leases.

A solo lease which I really prefer it's all on you , food plot, etc.. If you are lucky you will get land owner that will work with you on keeping road clean and if he has a tractor help with plots, ( might have to let him hunt a day or two)

As far as you as a land owner you are going to be better off leasing to a small group 3 or 4 guts, and because of where you are maybe offer a spot for a couple campers.. If you have power they can use charge a bit extra for that or figure it into the lease.

Genesis 27:3 and bigbonner like this.
  5. bigbonner

bigbonner 10 pointer

Aug 5, 2015
    All hunt clubs
    Great info.
    Now how do hunt clubs figure out who hunts where on a piece of land vs 3 hunters ( Buddies) who lease a farm and they decide between them who hunts where.
    What I am asking is if a hunt club with say 1000 acres has 30 members ( that is about 34 acres per hunter) , do they just say there is the 1000 acres hunt . Hunters would be fighting for prime hunting spots. While on a farm lease three hunters could go to their spots and hunt without fear of some other hunter setting up close to them or having hunters walk by scouting for deer. Or having the season hunted out by the time they get off from work to go hunting.
    I have barn up at the foot of my hill with city water and electric for running lights and refrigerators.

6. 1wildcatfan

1wildcatfan 12 pointer

Jan 2, 2009
    raised n Bullitt Co.
    I've heard of drawing names out of a hat, first name gets first choice or drawing the names/numbers of stand out of a hat. Bout as fair as it gets, but like the ky elk draw, someone won't be happy.

ojibwa62 likes this.
  7. Duster

Duster 12 pointer

I would rather lease than belong to a club. Reason is with a lease your in charge, a club you have to put up with what the club members want and those wants can be daylight to dark different. Also in a club you will always have that few that never show up except to hunt and a couple members get stuck with doing all the work involved. Some always seem to have a excuse as to why they can't show up on work days. I was president of a 200 member archery club and could count on my hands the ones I could count on being there on range work day.

8. wv67

wv67 10 pointer

Dec 19, 2017
    Southern wva
    I lease 1040 acres and have 8 members , we scout and hang ribbons by the main road to mark our spots each member can have two spots , then we ha e what we call community stands for anyone to hunt and we all pitch in on work etc never had a problem but 4 of the guys are good friends with us and 4 of us are family .. that’s 130 acres per person ,

9. Pirate

Pirate Fawn

Aug 11, 2016
    Kinston, NC
    I have done both on several occasions and find the best situation for me is to find a couple of like-minded friends and lease whatever amount of land your budget allows.

Benefits of a club:
    Don't have to look for land as the club is usually already established.
    Can hunt more acres for the cost.
    Work spread out among more people (hopefully).

Disadvantages of a club:
    Too many hunters for the acreage.
    Inevitably, a couple that are less than tolerable.
    Members not of the same mindset on their approach to hunting.
    Over half of the members in a typical club do not participate in any preparation for hunting season.

Benefits of a lease:
    Doing things your own way, not having to answer to the club.
    Less pressure as you totally control the land you are hunting.
    Being able to select those you are hunting with.

Disadvantages of a lease:
    Difficulty in finding land.
    Cost of leasing and purchasing stands, food plots, corn, etc. are totally on you.
    More likely to lose your lease than if you hunt with a club in most cases.

Ataulbe1 and bigbonner like this.
  10. Pirate

Pirate Fawn

Aug 11, 2016
    Kinston, NC
    In a club setting, there is usually a tagging board at the camp for larger clubs - first come, first serve. Some clubs carve out small sections for each hunter and that is the only area that you can hunt. Small leases it is usually just texting hey where are you hunting today?

ojibwa62 likes this.
  11. bird whisperer

bird whisperer 10 pointer

Aug 16, 2012
    Hog Town USA
    I have seen Deer and Turkey clubs have the properly sectioned off in zones and rotate the zones amongst all members not allowing a zone to be hunted by the same hunter two days in a row. Also if a Turkey is taken in a zone that zone gets a 3 to 5 day no hunt period.

With Duck club I have seen there be one person or a small group that works with the land owners about lease cost and other important things such as water control. Its rare that all members are in camp at the same time but it does happen and either the members discuss where they will hunt and work it out or sometimes there is forman or a member who is there most of the season who helps make sure everyone rotates into and out of the hot fields.

I have seen Deer and Turkey club dues from $500-10,000. Have seen Duck club dues fron $750-20,000. Both depend on the area hunted and what someone else is willing to pay to take/have what you have been enjoying the use of. Plus of club over leasing hunters can often aford club dues over individual leases. There have been many a good friendship destroyed over a small lease.

Only true way to protect where you hunt is to own the ground and thats just not fezable for most out there. There are a small number of individuals who can afford to own good deer/turkey ground along with good waterfowl ground. Sometimes they go hand in hand but not often.

12. Capttrae

Capttrae 12 pointer

Apr 2, 2012
    My .02- duck clubs for the most part are expensive as hell, i was on a cheap one last year for $1600. Deer/turkey hunting clubs / leases usually not as bad as duck clubs, the one I’ve been on the past 8 years started out at $1000/person @ 10 guys when it ended it was $1350/person @ 15 ppl. The guys that leased it out from under us are paying $1850/person @ 8 ppl so the price actually went down for them.
    What we would do is we had a sign out board and it was on a first come first serve basis but nobody could sign out a spot before 3am. And truth be told by the time gun season rolled around everybody knew where everybody else was hunting except for the coonasses that showed up the day before season.

13. Munson

Munson 10 pointer

Dec 24, 2011
    Natural Bridge
    Twa twa twenty grand!?! Damn dem ducks must taste good!

Dark Cloud likes this.
  14. Drahts

Drahts 10 pointer

Apr 7, 2015
    KY
    Most leases I have been a part of, there have been X members for deer & turkey, X for waterfowl. There is a discount for being a member of both. Stands are placed and marked on a Satellite Photo of the property. There is a parking area with a box hung that has the map in it. Everyone has a tag. First come first serve, you put your tag at the stand/blind/pit you will hunt along with AM or PM. If you change your mind and don't change your tag first, and you affect someone elses hunt you get 1 warning, a second and you are gone and zero refund. That keeps it civil and regulated and everyone knows the rules. UTV/ATV only permitted for retrieving big game. You got a strap of ducks/geese, man up lil girl. Typically need some form of gentlemans agreement with duck/goose and deer hunters to avoid issues. I had a big 10pt easily in the 160s I was bowhunting, scouted and patterned the deer over 4 days, hunted the 5th. Buck came out and was about 5 steps away from bow range when he blew outtta there. Wind was perfect. Then I look up and with 40 mins of daylight here comes a pair of waterfowl hunters driving ATV right down the middle of the field. They were there to see if their decoys were still in the blind! It was 20 days til waterfowl season, all they had to do was look on the schedule (which was online on an app and these 2 lived by their phone) and they would have seen someone was hunting that end of the farm. So I found what blind they had picked for the opener (cause they were assholes when I confronted em about this) and parked my 17' boat in their spread and fished all morning. Funny they never shot a duck! Met em at the barn that aftn and explained etiquette and morals of hunting. Millennials, it's all about them.

1wildcatfan likes this.
  15. bigbonner

bigbonner 10 pointer

Aug 5, 2015
    A lot of good info .
    What I wonder is with hunt clubs, is that some hunters may not watch where he/ she is shooting .
    On a small farm each hunter would have knowledge of who is there and trust the hunters they are with.
    I would think that leasing a piece of land and no one else hunting would take a lot of worry out of some stranger taking up the best spots and worrying about some wild shot.