Hunt of a lifetime.

Discussion in 'General Hunting' started by Boss Gobbler, Jan 25, 2003.

1. Boss Gobbler

Boss Gobbler 8 pointer

Dec 15, 2001
    boone co. KY.
    Well I am going all out. I am going to take the last hunting trip I will probably take for a while. I am booking an African Safari for 2004. Going for a change of senery. Anyone ever been or want to go?

2. Multidigits

Multidigits BBBC Members

Dec 10, 2001
    Vine Grove, Ky, USA.
    I've got a friend that was a PR over there for several years, but have never had the desire to hunt anything they have. I'd rather hunt the big bears. That would be the ultimate.

3. Boss Gobbler

Boss Gobbler 8 pointer

Dec 15, 2001
    boone co. KY.
    I use to feel like that but after some people I know went it was easy to change my mind.

4. deerhunter5555

deerhunter5555 6 pointer

Feb 24, 2002
    I am in the process of planning and booking a trip to South Africa for 2005. It will be our first and we're going archery only. Should be a great trip! All we have to do is work out some details and we're sending the money. I use to be on the same page as Multidigits but after looking at what I can get for my $ I have recently had a change of heart and can't wait.

5. Multidigits

Multidigits BBBC Members

Dec 10, 2001
    Vine Grove, Ky, USA.
    I've heard and seen several horror stories about Africa hunting trips. I'd be leery for sure. Seems it hard to get your hides back without paying ransom to the local officials, even then it might take forever. ake sure you check your references.

6. Boss Gobbler

Boss Gobbler 8 pointer

Dec 15, 2001
    boone co. KY.
    I have spent a week with the guide and have had several friends hunt with him.

7. LoweBow

LoweBow 8 pointer

Jan 10, 2003
    Shelby Co.
    Boss, A good friend of mine (Scott King) just called tonight and said he purchased a safari for 04' at the boat show last night. It was a hunt that SCI sold or auctioned. I don't know the details yet.
    Mike

8. Boss Gobbler

Boss Gobbler 8 pointer

Dec 15, 2001
    boone co. KY.
    I always thought that it was a high priced trip. After pricing I could get a round trip 8day 8 animal safari for what a management buck cost with a whitetail outfitter.

9. raktrakr

raktrakr Cyber-Hunter

Jan 20, 2002
    central ky
    you cant bring the meat back into the states either

raktrakr
    >>----->

10. P. Beyer

P. Beyer 12 pointer

Dec 12, 2001
    Ballard Co
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by raktrakr</i>
    <br />you cant bring the meat back into the states either

raktrakr
    &gt;&gt;-----&gt;

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

[:0]<b>Really?</b>...Then what would be the point? No meat and a pain in the rear to get the cape too?

"It makes no difference whether I got anything; it has to do with how the day was spent"

Fred Bear

11. Strutter

Strutter Cyber-Hunter

Dec 9, 2001
    USA.
    A guy I work with has been a couple times and is planning on going again this year. He loves it but as was posted earlier, you can bring no meat out and it will take 6 to 8 months for the hides to clear customs and other red tape. He spent $25,000.00 on a 12 day trip last year to hunt dangerous game. He took a cape buffalo, leopard and a big kudu. Nice animals and pretty country. I didn't care much for the way they hunt the leopards as they put a dead bait animal in a tree and wait til leopard shows up after dark. Then they light it up with a spotlight and the hunter takes his shot. Not to thrilling of a hunt unless the hunter is in the same tree using a flashlight. That would be sporting don't you think?

12. Hammer

Hammer 12 pointer

Sep 2, 2002
    Bowling Green, Ky.
    I think it would be a great hunt. I'd want it to be an archery trip. I've seen guys hunting water holes, and I think that looks like great fun with archery equipment.

If I was rich, I'd like to go to Argentina for waterfowl and dove.

13. Multidigits

Multidigits BBBC Members

Dec 10, 2001
    Vine Grove, Ky, USA.
    You might want to consider stocking up on blood at a local blood bank. The guy I know takes a supply with him in case he gets hurt. Africa is rampant with Aids, and if you need a transfusion......well, you need to take some blood just in case.

14. Hammer

Hammer 12 pointer

Sep 2, 2002
    Bowling Green, Ky.
    interesting precaution, Multi, but I wonder how u would get it there and keep it without having it spoil.

15. schuyler olt

schuyler olt 12 pointer

Dec 10, 2002
    Several friends of mine have gone, and all of them have had tremendous experiences with high quality hunts. Nancye and I are planning to go through their connections in 2004. They have not encountered difficulty in returning capes for taxidermy, nor have they had problems with firearms. As for meat, the animals are essentially "owned" by the tribes, as I understand it this was done in several countries to curb poaching. Part of the fee paid per animal goes to the tribe, and the tribe takes the meat for subsistence. Most meals are game, also.
    One friend of mine took a leopard at full charge from 15 FEET! The video makes your hair stand on end.
    Everything I hear is that it pays to go with a PH that comes recommended, and there is a big difference from country to country. Most folks I know go to South Africa.
    Multi, a guy I know did the Siberian trip for brown bear, and he truly did not think he would get out alive, and the bears weren't the problem. His stories about that trip include putting a snowmobile through sea ice 40 miles from camp. And that's a highlight! He doesn't recommend it.