Hunter Education Classes

Discussion in 'General Hunting' started by Thumb Catcher, Jul 3, 2016.

1. Thumb Catcher

Thumb Catcher Fawn

Dec 21, 2014
    I am trying to mentor a 12 year old boy I guess you could say he is not good at taking test and he lacks confidence in taking the test to get his card. He wants to hunt & fish. The fishing I have already taken him and we had a great day.
    I could give you a long story , but this kid needs someone in his life ,,and I want to try and help him if possible .
    Checking the Wildlife website its has options C.D instructions? ---Class Room and another I forgot what it was but the shooting would be on a specified date.

Has any one had experience with a youngster that is not good at taking test.
    I can't begin to teach him how to hunt with out the card?
    IF I take him to a class can someone like myself sit with him while he is taking the test to help him? Is that permitted? Not sure who to call or ask these kinds of questions so looking for help.
    Thanks

2. Chilly

Chilly 10 pointer

He can take the test from home online and the shooting is done at a later date. He can start the test and it's not required to finish the same day he starts. Once he logs out, it saves the work that has been completed until the next time he logs in. My dad took his a couple years ago since he had to have an orange card to hunt fort knox. He is not computer savvy so my brother and I helped him. He now has his card.

3. 8&sand

8&sand 12 pointer

I'm not sure if it's to late but possibly he could go to one of the camps that teach the course.

4. GrouseAssasin

GrouseAssasin 12 pointer

Aug 1, 2009
    Jackson, ky
    Let him do it online then go to a range day for the shooting. I did mine back in 1996, 2 evenings of lecture/instruction then shooting .22's and several different shotguns on the 3rd morning. Lots of good teaching, local game warden and several older woodsmen type guys making sure everything was kept tight and nobody screwed up.
    But......
    My wife got her orange card last year. Did the online course, went to a "range day" and, I am not kidding the guy made her fire a freaking BB GUN three times at a paper target then estimate yardage to a tree from where they were standing, that's it. Whole "range day" lasted about 4 minutes. He signed off on her paperwork and that was it, I was scratching my head thinking WTH?? She got her card a week or two later in the mail. Kudos to you for helping the kid out.

5. Thumb Catcher

Thumb Catcher Fawn

Dec 21, 2014
    Wow this is exactly what I needed to hear. I would love to see him go to camp , but I do not foresee that happening right now. If I am to make any head way, the online class is perfect and I will take him to the range day myself.

I had an Uncle who taught me how to hunt and those times I spent with him will never be forgotten.
    I hope to be able to return the favor to this young man and watch him mature as he goes along.

Thanks to both of you.
    Bob

6. thunderstorm

thunderstorm 8 pointer

Dec 13, 2001
  7. Thumper23

Thumper23 Spike

Jul 28, 2014
    Graves County
    Glad to hear you're helping him out. My Dad didn't hunt and I didn't have anybody to teach me, so I learned on my own as an adult. I would have LOVED to have had someone take me and teach me the ropes as a youngster. Hope it works out and you get to take him soon.

8. Mossy_Oak_Mike

Mossy_Oak_Mike 6 pointer

Jul 4, 2016
    Mackville kentucky
    There's also the 1 year exemption card ..$5 on the dept website.. It will allow him to hunt with an adult at anytime of the season.. There's restrictions to it such as u have to be with him at all times and within reach of taking his weapon from him.. It would be a good opportunity for u to teach him about hunting and be hands on instead of the testing and course.. Especially if he's not where u feel he should be with confidence!!