Hunter numbers declining and so is $$ for wildlife conservation

Discussion in 'General Hunting' started by elkguy, Mar 21, 2018.

1. elkguy

elkguy 10 pointer

Oct 4, 2004
    Here is a very well written article on how hunter numbers are declining and the impact that is having on wildlife funding. This affects license price increases, and demonstrates one of the problems with reduced prices for senior citizen licenses. Hunter numbers are declining and the population of remaining hunters gets older each year, which means more people getting the senior discount and state wildlife agencies having less money for everything. Its not just a KY thing. Its nationwide.
    https://www.npr.org/2018/03/20/593001800/decline-in-hunters-threatens-how-u-s-pays-for-conservation

rlb165 likes this.
  2. deerhunter24

deerhunter24 8 pointer

Mar 4, 2009
    Bracken County
    I don't think it cause there older it's cause every year it gets worse and worse they keep doing dumb things. I'm about done hunting in Kentucky. Everything from unlimited doe harvest to also not having no programs in uper Kentucky to help the waterfowl hunters etc

3. KY Swamp Beagler

KY Swamp Beagler 12 pointer

Feb 20, 2011
    the swamps of Western KY
    Have you hunted in far western KY? Just wondering from what perspective you were coming from for the unlimited antlerless comment.

nock likes this.
  4. baknblack

baknblack 8 pointer

Jan 30, 2014
    Mt Washington
    A lot of the younger people just aren't interested. I tried my best to get my 2 boys interested when they were still at home. I didn't have any success.
    Easy access I had when I was a kid is gone. It's still pretty easy to find a place to fish. Hunting not so much.

PUBLIC RAT, xbokilla, davers and 2 others like this.
  5. nock

nock 12 pointer

Sep 9, 2012
    butler co
    This is the biggest thing.

6. elkguy

elkguy 10 pointer

Oct 4, 2004
    The article talks about all that. Video games, Netflix, youth sports, urbanization, etc.

forager likes this.
  7. DH13

DH13 12 pointer

Jan 13, 2012
    Shelby county
    YEP when I was a kid I could walk for miles to hunt and fish. ANY FARMER would let you. Today people wouldn't let you pick a WILD BLACKBERRY if you was starving to death. Big farms now are being sold off in 5 acre tracts. No young people want to farm. But who can blame them. Government not going to let them make money. Then these 5 acre tracts nobody let ya hunt because they think now coming from the CITY they have a HORSE FARM. What big farms are left you cant hunt. Farmers got tired of the trash and tearing up their fences and land. With all the trouble that kids see their parents go thru to find a place to hunt. I think they think it is not worth the hassle and find other things to do.

forager and Dark Cloud like this.
  8. Gioacchino

Gioacchino 6 pointer

Jan 20, 2016
    Northern Kentucky
    Even finding a place to fish is getting somewhat difficult around me. Folks with farm ponds, or private lakes, are getting pickier about who they let on their land.

DH13 likes this.
  9. baknblack

baknblack 8 pointer

Jan 30, 2014
    Mt Washington
    I know. I could grab a rifle or shotgun after school and head out the door in any direction I wanted to go. My kids never had that opportunity. Now they'd have the police called on them for trespassing or being a mass murderer running around with a gun.
    I was first turned loose to squirrel hunt by myself when I was 12.

basshunter9239, xbokilla and forager like this.
  10. forager

forager 8 pointer

Mar 5, 2017
    planet earth
    When I went to school we had one guy always miss first period on Fridays during hunting season. He had his gun in his pickup in the school parking lot, and no one cared. We always waited for him to show up and tell his stories.

The cost of hunting gear, licenses and land access are issues, as well as kids thinking that they have to get all the newest stuff to hunt with. How did the native tribes and Daniel Boone get by without all the "necessary" trappings that the "pros" have on the TV shows?!

basshunter9239 likes this.
  11. luvtohunt

luvtohunt 8 pointer

Sep 1, 2011
    Eubank, Ky
    My mamaw would have said "boy, times they are a changing". That is exactly what is happening. Between now living in a more electronic world and sheer laziness of kids these days, its no wonder numbers are down. Heck they figure shooting a 180 incher on a game is good enough. They don't have to work for it, process it, or get cold doing it. Beyond technology its a mind shift. PETA is no longer "people eating tasty animals" like it was when I was raised as a kid. In this generation its animals have a voice too kinda stuff. Crazy!!!

12. DH13

DH13 12 pointer

Jan 13, 2012
    Shelby county
    YEP I was 12 also.

13. Iceman35

Iceman35 12 pointer

Oct 27, 2008
    Boone County
    Unlimited doe harvest has nothing to do with it, and is a biologically sound practice. Please list what other "dumb things" have occurred, including the mythical programs that don't exist.

Feedman likes this.
  14. louisvillehunter

louisvillehunter Spike

Oct 27, 2017
    Louisville
    Lots of things have changed. But not all are bad. Our deer population is fantastic in the grand scheme of things. A farmer that I hunt with talks about the days when you could not harvest a doe, only one buck. I personally like the idea of not having to purchase extra doe tags for zone 1. According to the experts we need to get the numbers down.
    I like the Idea of crossbow being expanded, but I'm not sure I like the idea of harvesting a doe September 1st. I harvested a doe this rifle season that still had a good amount of milk in her. I don't like the idea of turning a fawn into an orphan before it can live on it's own.

308 and forager like this.