Hunter numbers declining and so is $$ for wildlife conservation

Discussion in 'General Hunting' started by elkguy, Mar 21, 2018.

1. baknblack

baknblack 8 pointer

Jan 30, 2014
    Mt Washington
    I won't kill one in September even if allowed to. I just like the weather a little cooler. I usually don't even squirrel hunt till after modern gun season.

bondhu and DH13 like this.
  2. DH13

DH13 12 pointer

Jan 13, 2012
    Shelby county
    I don't start until October 1st or sometime after. Then it almost to hot to kill one. I hate rushing around to try and save the meat. Dang FLIES blowing it. I cant enjoy that. Shoot sometimes during gun season it gets warm and have to hurry up getting meat in and cooled down. If I shoot a Doe it will be during gun season. Or after with a Bow.

3. Gforcetrivers

Gforcetrivers 6 pointer

Sep 23, 2016
    Burkesville
    Strader had some good thoughts on this a couple of weeks ago. One point being killing a doe with yearlings that aren't weaned or old enough to survive the other was killing trophy bucks in velvet before they breed. The velvet thing is a big deal I guess.

As far as hunter numbers go. This is not new news. Been happening for a long long time. Mainly its due to lack of opportunity. The other is social, kids are doing other things, school is anti meat, hunting, guns or weapons.

This lack of interest and disassociation of hunting, firearms I believe is manifesting itself in the recent student protests. This young generation sees no use for guns other than destruction. I see this becoming a HUGE problem in 20-30 years. NRA will not exist, and the Second Amendment will have changed dramatically. Society in general thinks every species is endangered, animals should not be killed for food, definitely not killed for sport, meat is evil, all animals are raised in tiny cages you guys know the drill.

Plus I fear there is a tidal wave of Democrats on the way, after that its over. I am going to create a Sanctuary ( something ) where I can feel safe. Don't need no federal money. I hate what is happening right now in our country. If you want to hunt like we did when we were kids. You need to live out west. It still exists out there, for now.

kyfarmer1 likes this.
  4. thumper

thumper 6 pointer

Jul 9, 2008
    Berea, KY
    I have two teenage boys and they both enjoy hunting and fishing. However, it has been very difficult to find a place to hunt. I had a farm leased and once the owners passed away, their children sold the farm because they didn't want to deal with it anymore. I've looked around for a place to lease for the last five years and it's been crazy. If you find something, they want $2500 or more to lease 100 acres. I remember when I was a kid, my dad and his buddies would lease a farm to deer hunt on every year. They never paid more than $250 for 100 acres most of the time, it was $100 a year. Times have changed and people have gotten a lot more greedy than they were 30 years ago.

5. barney

barney 12 pointer

Oct 11, 2005
    It's not landowner greed in my opinion, or case, it's dealing with all the aggravation, and drama opening your farm to strangers brings.

Back in the day to let someone deer hunt was seeing that person a few weekends a year, now it's year round running cams, wanting to do food plots, corn piles, and basically anything else they can think of to get their money's worth.

I've never leased my land, nor made one single dime from anyone hunting my farm. But, several years ago I stopped ALL hunting here because of how crazy it became after I let a guy hunt. It literally became a circus within a few years.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2018
  6. DH13

DH13 12 pointer

Jan 13, 2012
    Shelby county
    YEP them try and tell land owner what to do to. Friend of mine leased his farm 4 years ago. He don't now. Leasers was telling him. You need to pick some Corn to hold Deer. Corn was still green. Don't cut the hay field. Deer are feeding in it. Can you move your Cows? We want to hunt over in that area. First and last year leasing SOME GREED INVOLVED. With OOS hunters paying A LOT OF MONEY for leases drove up the prices. It isn't really Farmers leasing any more. They don't want to put up with the B.S. like Barney posted and I posted. It is people buying up land and using it for hunting leases. Realtor I know has bought 3 good size farms. NOT TO FARM. But to lease for hunting. Got 1 200 acre leased to Michigan hunters 5 of them 5 GRAND just for Deer season. Then got Turkey hunters in the Spring for 2k pays the payments and taxes and little profit for him. Another 168 acre farm leased to 3 Ohio hunters 3 k For Deer then they pay 2k for Turkey. Same thing pays for the farm. Another 72 acre farm for 1.5 k Deer and Turkey for another set of 3 Ohio hunters who are buddies of the other 3 leasers of the other farm. REALTOR MAKING MONEY. He is looking at a farm now in Henry county to buy and lease. Told me he could lease everything he can buy to OOS and make money.

barney likes this.
  7. JDMiller

JDMiller 12 pointer

Jun 12, 2005
    " Between the Rivers "
    I’m a landowner and agree with Barney.... it’s not greed on the part of the landowner that’s driven the cost of leasing.

Fact is... it was in the 90’s after our deer populations boomed that I even heard the term leasing & deer hunting put together. As such ... the leases back then were cheap and there was still a bulk of landowners that let you hunt for free. The latter was just usually a case others had permission as well and you shared the place.

This changed drastically with social media, tv shows and hype of B&C entries. Which in my area it was the beginning of an influx of NR’s with much deeper pockets than the locals. Next thing you know they were offering more & more for leasing to the landowners... ultimately creating their own supply & demand competition to a point is got ridiculous. It’s not unheard of to see $20 acre being offered now.. and with Ky’s economy.. it’s simply outpriced locals.

Which I’m not against leasing or even NR’s for that matter ... it’s the landowner prerogative and I don’t blame him for accepting income from others. As owning land isn’t a free proposition.

But it’s not landowner greed ... that blame can be put square back on the hunters as the trophy mentality has caused many to loose their ever loving mind to the sake of antlers.

barney likes this.
  8. EdLongshanks

EdLongshanks 12 pointer

Nov 16, 2013
    Northern Kentucky
    Market value is most certainly NOT greed.

barney likes this.
  9. deerhunter24

deerhunter24 8 pointer

Mar 4, 2009
    Bracken County
    Not mean I have been less and less deer every year I told fish and wildlife there a problem they don't care. What do you know I found out a guy is poaching. I kept telling the fish and wildlife something wrong they didn't believe me they don't care.

10. deerhunter24

deerhunter24 8 pointer

Mar 4, 2009
    Bracken County
    Our deer population isn't great maybe in some areas but not all again they don't care what we think

11. deerhunter24

deerhunter24 8 pointer

Mar 4, 2009
    Bracken County
    Leasing is the worse thing ever. I hate leasing eventually only Rich will be able to hunt and the blue collar outdoorsman won't be able to

Gforcetrivers likes this.
  12. davers

davers 10 pointer

Jul 14, 2014
    Kentucky
    Younger people at age of 25 and under are more interested with playing around with Social media and playing DVD games, rather than going outdoors. NOT GOOD!

Gforcetrivers likes this.
  13. riverview

riverview 8 pointer

This is not a problem limited only to Kentucky and it has nothing to do with our current deer numbers. The issues lie far deeper than that. A good portion of the blame we can lay at our own feet.

14. forager

forager 8 pointer

Mar 5, 2017
    planet earth
    With more property going to hunting leases, do you folks think that there will be greater hunting pressure being put on public land by folks who can't afford to pay for a lease?

While hunting may be declining, I see a lot of people switching over to outdoor recreational activities such as kayaking/canoeing. hiking and mountain biking. What frustrates me is that these folks think that they can go wherever they want and do whatever they want, but hunters are restricted and have to pay licenses and land use fees.

Hunters and fishermen pay for conservation of natural resources. The "outdoor enthusiasts" think that they are entitled to a free ride. Make these people pay a user fee to access public land and money can be generated this way.