Hunter numbers declining and so is $$ for wildlife conservation

Discussion in 'General Hunting' started by elkguy, Mar 21, 2018.

1. rlb165

rlb165 8 pointer

Dec 10, 2001
    QDMA talks about this in their 2018 Whitetail Report, on page 25.
    According to them, the number of deer hunters is more or less the same as it was 10 years ago in the majority of states. It's the number of people hunting for stuff other than deer that seems to be declining.

https://www.qdma.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/02/Whitetail_Report_2018.pdf

2. T-wil69

T-wil69 8 pointer

Jan 16, 2015
    I’m with you I have 5 farms I hunt only one I own and haven’t paid a dime it’s all about who you know

3. rlb165

rlb165 8 pointer

Dec 10, 2001
    As far as I can tell, it takes a LOT of deer and turkeys to keep today's kids interested in hunting.
    I know that we grown ups might be happy to "just get out there", but today's kids get bored if something ain't happening pretty often. At least that's been my experience, with our 2 kids and 1/2 dozen or so of their friends.

4. 1badDart

1badDart 6 pointer

Oct 30, 2012
    KY
    IMO hunting leases have a lot to do with the decline in hunters. When I was a kid my brother and I had a pair of part beagle dogs that we walked many hundreds of miles behind. I was squirrel hunting by myself when I was ten years old and the squirrel season opener was looked forward to like deer or turkey season would be later. We had very few deer where I live and no turkeys so small game was king.

Back then you could pull in a property owners driveway and for the most part get permission to rabbit or squirrel hunt even after deer started appearing. Now with most properties leased guys don't want rabbit or squirrel hunters there because they are afraid it'll run off their "trophy" deer. Around here deer are a nuisance, my brothers clover field is full every afternoon but we have the medicine for that and have no problems administering it.

My grandson is five and it makes me sad that he won't be able to experience what I and my brother did when we were kids.

308 and rabbit dawg like this.