Hunting and Camping Kentucky (Whitetail)

Discussion in 'General Hunting' started by LoneArrow, Jul 23, 2016.

If you have hunted the Clifty Wilderness; How was your experience?

Poll closed Jan 23, 2017.
  1. Yes, I would go again.

60.0%
  2. Yes, and it was too rough to be worth while.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. No

40.0%
  4. Who in their right mind would even consider hunting such rough country!?!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. LoneArrow

LoneArrow 6 pointer

Jul 21, 2016
    Does anyone have a suggestion for an area of the Daniel Boone Forest, or some other public area that would be open to hunting, but not too crazy of terrain? I want to spend a week of November camping out, with a close campground in the forest.

Where would you recommend?
    What is the deer population like?
    How is the terrain?

2. ratamahatta

ratamahatta 6 pointer

Jan 17, 2010
    Kain-tuck-ee
    Red River Gorge would be were I'd start. Some trails lead right into Clifty, once you get so far back, you'll not see another soul. I haven't checked for a whole lot of sign, but I have seen deer in there, just have to get far back.

3. ptbrauch

ptbrauch 12 pointer

Nov 10, 2004
    J-Town
    I've been to RRG a few times and love it there, but I don't know that I'd consider deer hunting it too much. While I'm sure there is a deer or two there, it's just thick, hemlock forest. I think there are much better places in the forest to go.

I'd look up the hunting results for each county and base my decision on what I found there. For example, Wolfe Co only shows only 655 deer killed last year. Whereas Pulaski Co shows over 1700. And Wayne and Whitley Cos show over 1000 deer killed in each.

http://app.fw.ky.gov/harvest/deerharvest.asp

LoneArrow likes this.
  4. Teach Deer

Teach Deer 6 pointer

Aug 4, 2013
    Georgetown
    The best area that I have found for BOTH wilderness camping and deer hunting is the DBNF just outside of Morehead (PM if you would like directions)...back in 2000-2004 the hunting in there was amazing (KDFWR allowed too many to be harvested, since then the numbers have not rebounded in a big way...the area needs to be a zone 4)...but it has several pull-offs the ridge road where one can set up a camper or pitch a tent...

Despite the low deer numbers, you will still have company during the modern firearm season and likely the early muzzleloader season...

5. kyoutdoorsman

kyoutdoorsman 6 pointer

Jan 19, 2016
    To many poisonous snakes in red river for me

6. ptbrauch

ptbrauch 12 pointer

Nov 10, 2004
    J-Town
    How many are there?

7. WaterDog88

WaterDog88 10 pointer

Jul 28, 2008
    Kentucky
    I've camped in RRG a lot and never seen a deer, and haven't really seen any sign. I'd look at the cave run area. I have camped there too and seen deer and deer sign while hiking.

8. web splitter

web splitter 6 pointer

Feb 3, 2015
    I have camped probably at least 100 nights in the Red River Gorge area (and Clifty wilderness) over the last 10years and have yet to see a deer. Have camped during different times of the year, on and off trail. It could just be me but i would try elsewhere in DBNF like the Cumberland or Laurel lake area.

9. LoneArrow

LoneArrow 6 pointer

Jul 21, 2016
    Thanks everyone for the info. Great stuff!