Hunting Shows - Likes and Dislikes

Discussion in 'General Hunting' started by Darton73, Nov 8, 2003.

1. Darton73

Darton73 6 pointer

Dec 9, 2001
    Alright guys. I'm curious as to what hunting shows you like and which ones do you hate? Why? If you were in charge of a show yourself, what would you include, what would you avoid, etc.

Just for the record, I like Primo's, Realtree Roadtrips, and Knight & Haleto name a few. I HATE Texas deer hunts and feeling like I am watching an infomercial. I like the enthusiasm of the Primo's guys, as well as the fact that they don't put in all the "fluff" footage that the other shows fake. I also like getting some background information on the hunt before it takes place and not just watching a shot scene.

What about everyone else?

(After rereading the above, I realize it sounds a lot like a single's ad. Did I mention I like long walks on the beach, etc.?)[:D]

Brian Grossman
    Darton73@alltel.net

2. Rob

Rob Cyber-Hunter

Dec 9, 2001
    Murray, KY, USA.
    I really like the Drury Brothers. Also, I think the Mossy Oak videos are pretty good.

(By the way, I understand Darton73 also enjoys dancing & dining out!)

It's hard to dance with the devil on your back...

3. Ky Headhunter

Ky Headhunter 8 pointer

Dec 10, 2001
    Peach Grove, Ky, USA.
    It may be local bias, but I really enjoy Kentucky Afield.

Primos is about the only "national" stuff I really care to watch. Also have some older Quaker Boy videos with Dick Kirby that I still pop in the VCR (remember those?) once in awhile. Not sure if QB even makes them anymore.

Dislikes.. well, most of them are just too "hokey", for lack of a better word. I don't learn anything from them, and really can't seem to relate.

4. KYhunter

KYhunter Cyber-Hunter

Dec 9, 2001
    I think the Drury boys are the best followed closely by Primos. I wish they would show more of the tracking and let the viewer know how far the animal traveled with the hit we saw.

I DISLIKE the Texas hunts and getting tired of the southern plantation hunts as well. The youth hunts on tv this past Sat were really just a bunch of little rich kids getting to hunt high dollar plantations. Let 'em(the kids) follow me around Taylorsville for a week or two and see if they think hunting is so easy.

Another thing that kinda gets me is the kids always say "Yessir" when spoken to every time. Maybe its me but the only time I expect a "Yessir" from my kids is when we are at the end of a "discussion" and my index finger is about one inch from the tip of their nose and I have just asked "Did you hear me?"

5. rlb165

rlb165 10 pointer

Dec 10, 2001
    Originally posted by KYhunter:

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><b>Let 'em(the kids) follow me around Taylorsville for a week or two and see if they think hunting is so easy.
    </b><hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

I'll vouch for that! I followed KYhunter around T-ville one time, it wore me out so bad I got motivated and lost 60 lbs!![8D] (And that was with him carrying half of my gear, and part of the time, me!)

Darton73, I mostly enjoy snuggling on the couch while a Dan Fitzgerald video is playing.[:X][:eek:)]. Mostly his older stuff. I know, he is shameless in promoting his products, but his over-the-shoulder shots make you feel like you're right there with him. Also, they don't put so much emphasis on the trophy aspect of hunting, which I like.

Also, I like watching them Xtreme boys, but I'm prejudiced 'cause I know 'em.

Richard

6. Bucko

Bucko Spike

Oct 25, 2003
    Hartland, Vt, USA.
    I watch the outdoor chanel some ,primo's is a pretty good show and there are few others, but most seem kind of like canned hunts ,set in a box with 10 rack bucks in front of you , I would like to see some of those sports hunt where we hunt , where you hope to see and shoot at 1 buck in 2 weeks.Thats why i am in indiana next week! Bucko

Frank Warren

7. kyarcher

kyarcher Cyber-Hunter

Dec 12, 2001
    Garrard County, Ky
    Like Drury brothers,Primos,Knight& Hale. Forget the "Bushmaster" or that Realtree crap!

8. aceoky

aceoky 12 pointer

Jul 14, 2003
    W KY
    Like Primo's "Truth";Knight&Hale,Dan Fitzgerald's stuff is good and I agree the "over the shoulder" view is great! Ted Nugent is a kick to watch, seems he's as excited as when he was 15 (and hunting with Fred Bear)(which is a plus in my book) [:D]There was a short lived one one the ODC that I really liked "The do it yourself hunter" (all public land hunting in "REAL" situations(but again it didn't last long)

<hr noshade size="1">
    I'd rather be lucky than good any day!!

Reloaders Haul Brass!

9. ksp965

ksp965 Cyber-Hunter

Aug 24, 2003
    Whitesburg, KY, USA.
    I don't like to watch deer and turkey hunting shows cause they just don't convey the feeling. I especially don't like the Texas deer shoots. I didn't say hunts, because I don't feel that is what they do. I do watch goose hunting shows, but they get boring because all they do is shoot. On my trips there is a lot of laughing, kidding, swearing, tall tales telling and just plain ole lying in between sometime long waits on birds. And when they come? That is just icing on the cake. Also, I enjoy the off beat things like hog hunting, alligator hunting and noodling for catfish and turtles. (Those guys either have to be touched a little or drunk a lot!)

10. raktrakr

raktrakr Cyber-Hunter

Jan 20, 2002
    central ky
    i like realtree for the fact that they show what the bucks score,as far as the hunt, well that a different opinion, and that Michael Waddell is one helluva shot with a bow too. ted nugent is good,some thing hes wierd and obnoxious, but he shows it like it is.my favorite though would have to be primos

"If you can learn to be an effective squirrel hunter, you can be a good hunter, period." Herold Knight

11. VinVega

VinVega 6 pointer

Oct 9, 2003
    Flatwoods, KY, USA.
    I like watching any of them, pretty much. Except Ted Nugent. That dude is weird, stop trying to make it so spiritual, and stop advertising your damn white arrows!

12. Pooge

Pooge Cyber-Hunter

Oct 7, 2002
    Louisville, KY, USA.
    It really is hard to tell if the Nuge is just plain excited or actually has an orgasm every time he makes a kill... I really would rather not know for sure.

Of course my favorite is Spotlight on Deer with Willie and Billy.
    Any of you see the new Foxworthy III video? I am not a big Foxworthy fan but I must say that the "This Old Deer Camp" and the "Polygraph Test" had me rolling.

13. CPA Hunter

CPA Hunter 8 pointer

Dec 10, 2001
    KYHunter -- They all say Yes Sir and Yes Ma'am down South. It is even required in public schools. Or at least is was 20 years ago and for the kids I know they still say it. It ain't a put on, "them is Southern ways"

14. turk2di

turk2di Cyber-Hunter

Feb 25, 2003
    evansville, ind
    If your refering to Tv hunting shows, they are just too cosmetic for me. Cut-aways from game to hunter, with camera lookin nearly back down the barrell at said hunter, who often times has no camo on hands or face, is a joke. Just too edited and unrealistic for me. Don't watch them anymore. There too afraid they are going to offend someone.I do watch Primos, Realtree tapes.

what u get out, is what u put in

15. Tom Threetoes

Tom Threetoes 10 pointer

Oct 4, 2002
    southern Indiana.
    My favorite outdoor program is Advantage Outdoors with Wade Born (sp). He wasn't afraid to show an unsuccessful hunt. Unfortunately it's no longer on the air. Tom